VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-26-2018, 04:01 PM

Default Plenum with stock cowl

I know this has been asked many times but a search does not show any current info. Is anyone making a plenum that will match up with the stock RV-8 cowl?

Scott A Jordan
Old 04-26-2018, 05:59 PM

Iíve been looking as well - no joy.

I used the James Cowl and plenum on the RV-10 and got great results. I would have done the same for the new RV-8 project but the James RV-8 cowl requires a prop extender that I did not want to use. I did see one RV-8 that used the James plenum with a stock cowl, but he had to do a lot of glass work to install the round inlet rings (the James plenum is designed for the round, alumni inlets). Also complicating the install is Iíll have the IO-360-M1B engine with horizontal injection.

Iím still debating if Iíll go that way or not (engine mount next week so my time is running out).

Carl
Old 04-26-2018, 08:01 PM

Make your own: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...=plenum+vacuum

Ed Holyoke
Old 04-26-2018, 09:05 PM

I made my own using the stock cowl for my -7A. I secured the lid to Vanís baffles by adding a strip along the back and bending the sides in slightly. The hardest part was getting a nice seal around the top of the inlets. I used Vanís baffle material secured to the top cowl that lays up nicely inside the plenum. Itís really not too hard to make and I would do it again verses the baffles.
Flying
Old 04-27-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N733JJ View Post
I know this has been asked many times but a search does not show any current info. Is anyone making a plenum that will match up with the stock RV-8 cowl?

Scott A Jordan
You don't have to have one, but is there a technical reason you desire a plenum (cover)?

RV-7
Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
1st Flight 1-27-18
2017 Dues Paid
Old 04-28-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
You don't have to have one, but is there a technical reason you desire a plenum (cover)?
I flew without the plenum for many years but looking out at the cowling bulging from the internal pressure. Couldnít stop thinking about the pressure on the sky bolt fasteners, couldnít take my eyes off the ďscallopingĒ between the fasteners. I have never heard of a cowl failure but the sight bothered me. So, I build myself a plenum, it was crude, not pretty but got the pressure off the cowl. Surprisingly, it did not improve cooling (which had always been fine) at all.

Now, I am going through my plane and fixing/improving all the little things I am not 100% happy with before I retire and donít want to put money into it. New panel, repairing/replacing all the fiberglass parts...

Interestingly, after converting from steam gauges and a VM-1000 engine monitor to a G3X, my CHTs have all gone up 30-40degrees with no other changes! Canít fingure this out, Garmin doesnít want to hear about it even though I have heard the same from a couple others. So, a better plenum, cleanup under the cowl and see what I get.

Scott
Old 04-28-2018, 04:13 PM

Default Still available.

NJ33JJ - FYI, I reached out to RVBits, and while they don't list the plenum on their website anymore, they will still make them. But the shipping from South Africa is expensive (about $300). They are doing a Carbon Fibre one for me now.

I also have a nearby neighbor that has one he was going to put on a different type of aircraft, but that plan didn't work out, so he might be interested in selling it. Let me know if you are interested.

DG-800S Sailplane
QB RV-8 -- Working on the canopy and wiring
84CX Reserved
Old 04-28-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeerinck View Post
NJ33JJ - FYI, I reached out to RVBits, and while they don't list the plenum on their website anymore, they will still make them. But the shipping from South Africa is expensive (about $300). They are doing a Carbon Fibre one for me now.

I also have a nearby neighbor that has one he was going to put on a different type of aircraft, but that plan didn't work out, so he might be interested in selling it. Let me know if you are interested.
Chuck,
I would be interested in your buddies plenum if it would fit without a lot of work. Another option might be to get a carbon fiber like you, have them shipped to the U.S. together, might save some on shipping. What is the price of the CF one? I assume this is Johansson?

Scott
Old 04-28-2018, 04:59 PM

Scott - I am in San Diego, and you are New York, so I don't know if the "split shipping" idea would work. Bummer, because it sounded like a great idea.

Chris said he is sending me the full quote, so I will let you know what that comes back at. I am getting a full set of Intersection Fairings as well.

My buddies plenum was for an RV-8 originally, and it came from RVBits, so if yours is an 8, that is what it was made for.

DG-800S Sailplane
QB RV-8 -- Working on the canopy and wiring
84CX Reserved
Old 04-28-2018, 05:58 PM

Default Plenum

Chuck: I am in Northern Ca. And would be interested in a plenum for my RV6 and would like to explore the split shipping. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks, Bruce Estes