VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-22-2018, 07:41 PM

Default new whirlwind cs

there is a new whirlwind hrt type prop and new blades coming out this summer that you may like. built for 150 to 200 hp . 2 or 3 blade. better climb and take off than the 200rv and equal or better cruise. I might get one for my rv9a.
should be about $9200 or $9300,but dont quote me on that
Jackz
Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 PM

I've got the 74HRT (serial number 001) on my 8. Received my signoff following the FAA inspection last Friday so should have a preliminary report soon.

Per the WW Aviation web page, the HRT is for 200 hp+ engines (I'm running an XP 400). Haven't heard if they're developing the HRT for the smaller engines but certainly possible. I can say it's a beautiful prop....I opted for a clear finish showing the carbon weave with painted red tips...have had many compliments in the hanger from visitors including from the FAA (he also wanted to know how much it cost ).

RV 8 Under Construction (N184CE Reserved), Showplanes Fastback, Superior IO 400; Dual 10.4 HXr

Kitfox 7; Rotax 914, Built and Sold

VAF donation gladly paid through July 2018
Old 05-24-2018, 05:06 AM

I like my WW 200RV. 650 hrs, still looks new. no issues. for my config, I would buy it again.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 05-24-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:12 PM

Default Composite prop - Whirl Wind or Hartzell?

Since Whirl Wind has three CS props listed on the website that seem like they could work I emailed them and they responded that, for RV-6A IO-360 8.5 compression, 200RV 72" is the one.

200RV is $8,665 with fiberglass spinner.

Hartzell is $14,440 with aluminum spinner.

Delta is $5,775.

How's a body to decide?
Newport News, Va
Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 PM

Or, its hard to go wrong with the "standard" Hartzell.

Compact hub Constant-speed prop for (I)O-360 (180/200hp) 74"
Part Number = PROP C2YR-1BFP/F7497
Price = $8035.00

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 05-24-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

Price = $8035.00
Yes, no restrictions with parallel valve 360, proven, durable, only 16 lbs or so penalty over composite. Seems a great choice.
Newport News, Va

Last edited by johnbright : 06-10-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post

Price = $8035.00
A note: Van's only recommends the 72" version of the Hartzell for the RV-7 (taildragger), which is what the OP is building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbright View Post
Yes, no restrictions with parallel valve 360, proven, durable, only 12 lbs or so penalty over composite. Seems a great choice.
There are no RPM/MP restrictions if you have a stock engine with 2 mags. If you have electronic ignition, high compression pistons (or certain other mods), I believe there are restrictions.

My previous RV-8 has a 74" Hartzell non-Blended Airfoil prop, and my current RV-8 has a 72" Hartzell BA prop. I would also recommend a Harztell CS prop.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel H-201B Standard Libelle, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 05-24-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:26 PM

Default 650 hrs looks like new

I like this prop.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 05-29-2018, 08:03 PM

Johnbright
Call whirlwind and ask for bill. He will give you some info on the new prop that is being tested now.Less machining steps and simpler. HRT style blades for a better performance prop
Jack
Old 05-30-2018, 09:17 AM

Default Prop me up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam W View Post
I am constant speed, IO-360 Fuel injected with a cold air superior sump with horizontal intake. from a weight perspective its a slider with a G3X dual screen system and GTN650 planned. no steam gauges.
I guess the look and smoothness of three blade is the wish. question is composite or aluminium? and size?
I'm no expert on the W & B math so any advice here on what is best would be great. I expect the composite CS will be very expensive. I also heard the composite may cause an aft C of G reducing baggage capacity
id appreciate any advice on what prop to go with. my mission will include some shorter grass strips, but not under 1600 feet
im building a 7
Adam,
Age old question with some good responses. However comma, nobody mentioned the Catto Gen 3, Performance (wood) 3 blade "almost constant speed" and Whirlwind GA.
If Bang for the buck isn't just a buzz word, all of the aforementioned are a better bang for your buck than the Hartzell BA, Whirlwind 200 or MT IMHO.
Why?
Eight Grand for the BA prop and another $300 for the spinner plus $1000 for the governor? The WW and MT with all the bells and whistles are North of Ten Grand. I spent that exact amount total on my used engine (0-360J) and my Catto Gen 2 prop! As a builder, you fully understand it all boils down to the bucks. No Bucks, no Buck Rogers..
Weight a minute...
When I mailed Van's aircraft a check for a preview video in 1987, there were only two RV kits, little internet or phone support and no VAF. Most builders then were building on a budget as certified airplanes were expensive and performance inhibited.
Then, (as now in some circles) out the door cost, low empty weight and performance on a budget were crucial. My goals on both my RV's (RV4, RVX) was a empty weight not to exceed 1000lbs and cost under $30K. **
This required discipline, patience and a bit of scrounging but I assure you is possible. *

Best RV7 ever?
The best RV7 I've flown ever had your identical engine and induction, Sam James cowl and fairings/wheel pants, very little paint and panel and a Catto Gen 3 Three Blade prop with Saber Extension to match the James Cowl. It's EW was exactly 1000lbs. Flight qualities and performance were superb and had my favorite "light nose" feel.It was being sold to a gentleman in South Africa by the builder and I inspected/delivered it to the shipping location. Simply superb.
It recently won a Sport Air Race in South Africa BTW...

CG, Performance and mowing the grass...

The CG and performance/handling on light, IO-360 powered SBS RV's with a FP prop out front is superb. I have always considered fuel as my greatest ally in CG adjustment over the years as it's forward of the CG for a reason. More baggage? Add fuel. Local flying/Aerobatics? Less. Keep it light, less than 1/2 fuel is plenty. Additionally, I have flown both my FP prop RV's off my 1200' grass strip with no worries and have had no problems keeping up with any similarly CS equipped RV's. Where the FP really shines is aerobatics (and dog-fighting if so inclined). I prefer a lighter nose and less flywheel effect and had all my props pitched slightly climb oriented where I could obtain 2800 (or greater) RPM WOT at Sea Level. This allowed me to run WOT at 11,500' at 2650 RPM and enjoy 175KTAS and maintain the age old "48" combination of MP and RPM.

Don't discount a FP composite prop, I speak from numerous hours tweaking, flying, evaluating and paying...
V/R
Smokey

*My RV4: 925lbs EW, $22K out the door in 96', RVX 945Lbs EW $30K.
**After 200+ pre-purchase inspections and numerous deliveries on RV's over the past 25 years to include every RV model and several Rockets, my favorites are still the light ones.

Last edited by smokyray : 05-30-2018 at 01:27 PM.