Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-16-2018, 02:50 PM

Default prop choice

Hey all

canopy done engine hung yesterday, and on to the cowl. This had me thinking Do i need a propeller to properly fab up the cowl?
and if so, I'm not prepared research wise for that decision
I am constant speed, IO-360 Fuel injected with a cold air superior sump with horizontal intake. from a weight perspective its a slider with a G3X dual screen system and GTN650 planned. no steam gauges.
I guess the look and smoothness of three blade is the wish. question is composite or aluminium? and size?
I'm no expert on the W & B math so any advice here on what is best would be great. I expect the composite CS will be very expensive. I also heard the composite may cause an aft C of G reducing baggage capacity
id appreciate any advice on what prop to go with. my mission will include some shorter grass strips, but not under 1600 feet
im building a 7
Building RV7 #70770
Wings done
Empenage done
QB Fuse done
Finish kit underway
Vans Airforce Dues Paid
Flying Piper Supercub PA18 150
Flying Cessna 414A
Old 04-16-2018, 04:38 PM

Adam,
Finished my -7 in Nov., now with 100hrs and counting. I have an IO-360 M1B with an MT 3 blade that I purchased thru Van's. I could not be happier with this combination. The delivery time was about 14 weeks on the prop and I was ready to fit my cowlings long before expected delivery. I rented the Flyboys cowlings installation tool and used the MT dimensions to fit the cowling. When the prop arrived (spinner mounted and painted), I just bolted it on and VIOLA! Perfect fit. Very smooth prop as well as good ground clearance for unimproved strips. My EW came in at 1081# CG 80.4 with dual AFS 5600 displays and autopilot. Pricier than the Hartzel, but if you figure in the spinner assy.and labor, its comparable.
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 100+hrs.
2018 dues paid.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:03 PM

The 3 blade MT I ordered last month for my -9A is through Tiffin Aire http://www.tiffinaire.com/en/Home.aspx . I saved considerable $$$$ going through them as apposed to Van's. They are a dealer and authorized service center for MT.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 04-17-2018, 09:56 AM

MT 3 blade - awesome takeoff and landing performance, couple of knots slower cruise, but super smooth and great 'ramp presence' (I do hate that saying )

Donated twice in 2017
Old 05-12-2018, 01:30 PM

Default Get a Hartzell BA prop

The -7 was designed around the parallel valve Lycoming 360 and Hartzell CS prop. I have that combo on my -7 and the W&B came out beautifully. It's almost impossible to load it out of limits. Not to mention, it feels perfectly balanced in flight.

Also, I highly recommend a CS prop. Putting anything else on an RV is like buying a sports car and only driving it in 2nd gear. It hurts the pocket book initially. But, it'll make up for it in fuel savings over time (I actually did the math back in the day). And, the performance gains in all phases of flight are substantial.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:55 PM

Maintain it IAW Hartzell, and it will be the most expensive single item on the aircraft to maintain.
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 05-13-2018, 06:15 AM
Moderator/Tech Counselor

My 7A with 0-360 A1A and Hartzell BA prop was a great combination. Well balanced and smooth as glass out of the box.

Roberta
GS 350 Lexus and TRICE "Q"
Built Glen L "ZIP" Classic Outboard Runabout and Super Spartan Hydroplane
Old 05-13-2018, 07:23 AM

Default prop choice

I'm happy with the 2-bladed acro MT on my -7.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:43 AM

The biggest mistake I made on my first RV was putting a FP prop on it. At 300 hours I replaced it with a Hartzell BA prop. To say the change was dramatic fails to capture the impact. I was now flying the plane that I always wanted. As previously posted, the speed range on an RV is so broad no FP prop will come close to meeting the changing conditions.

For those builders that ask me, I say:
- If you want a simple plane for flying around the patch and occasional cross country, or canít justify the additional cost, pick one of the many FP props out there and fly on. It will still fly like an RV.
- If you want to spend a boatload of money and go fancy, pick one of the composite CS props.
- If you want the very best bang for the buck and are obsessed with high efficiency cruise and top speed, get the Hartzell BA prop.

The brand new Hartzell prop for the current RV-8 build is in the hangar - engine and prop hang in a couple of weeks.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes.

And the debate goes on....
Carl
Old 05-13-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Maintain it IAW Hartzell, and it will be the most expensive single item on the aircraft to maintain.
Please explain. My Hartzell has been trouble free for 9 years & 900 hours. So my only maintenance cost is a little bit of grease once a year.

I know that Hartzell states the recommended overhaul is at 2400 hours or 72 months calendar time. I just had the calendar time discussion a couple of weeks ago. In short, maybe if you plane is kept outside in harsh conditions 72 months maybe valid. However, for most of us 2400 hours is the better guideline.
RV-12 (ELSA, Dual G3X), SOLD
Highland Village,TX