- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2018, 12:03 AM

Default More Photos and Stories Trip to Seward

Here are a few more photos of N666BK on the way to Seward. We are just past the half way point across the Harding going East. Vlad asked if it was possible to land, well without skis that would be a problem, soft snow and crevasses might even stop the skis. Gulf of Alaska in background for these two photos:

N666BK with the Kenai Peninsula Mountains (looking North at Vlad) as a backdrop:

Shortly after this I lost view of Vlad, so we talked it over and headed towards Seward separately. Somehow I got ahead of him and landed first. Now about the free ride into Seward from the airport:

Instead of parking at the Transient Ramp, we parked on the North ramp closer to the road into Seward. No tie-downs available so we just parked them and headed into town.

On our walk a silver car stopped on the other side of highway and the driver rolled down his window and all I caught was did we want a ride into town. Well, the highway was pretty busy and we decided instead of crossing it we would walk, so we waved the ride off.

We started walking and now the silver car took the highway center turn lane, and the driver again asked Vlad if he wanted a ride. Notice I said Vlad? Yep, you guessed it, N666BK was spotted in the traffic pattern...The driver introduced his-self as, "I'm that guy, you know, that guy who, we've already met". We jumped in the car, and soon Vlad realized who it was.

Tobin (edit to get name right) is his name. Any way he and his wife Jayne (edit for proper spelling) were visiting Alaska by cruise ship.

After a brief history of tracking Vlad through Colorado and just missing at Loveland, CO, he finally caught up to Vlad by using a cruise ship, rental car and then flaggin' us down! Talk about extreme "stalking"!

We were soon near the docks, so we parked had a short conversation, finding out that two of us were helicopter pilots. I was truly enjoying how this day was turning out! Big smiles all around and then Jayne took a photo of the three of us, Yes, the Stalker is on the right, Vlad in the middle and my bald head on the left is causing issues with the camera light meter....

Now for the rest of the story:

Soon we were on our way to the dock to check out the boats in the harbor, afterwards Vlad and I grabbed a bite to eat before heading back to the airport. On the way back (walking) we saw an ambulance at the Safeway grocery store. Just as we were getting close to the airport a Medevac King Air was in the pattern for Seward.

Our first view of the North ramp was the Medevac parked where our RV's were. Immediately I began to think we might be in trouble for blocking access to the road.

We crossed the railroad tracks and headed to our RV's. Sure enough the pilot of the Medevac headed my way (mine was the closest RV to the King Air). Geez, this ain't going to be nice.....

Then John stuck his hand out and said, "Mike, it looks like you don't remember me."

Well, I didn't but should have. He was the CFI that I hired to get my Tail Wheel endorsement so I could fly my RV-6! He had been looking for me, to give a book back and also borrow one to me, he had mentioned during my training.

Vlad was able to get some phone numbers and great advice about where he planned to fly to next. John fly's regularly to all points in Alaska as a Medevac pilot.

Talk about luck-hopefully it will help Vlad make his next destination!

Yes, we made it back to Kenai without running into any more stalkers....The return trip did find us dodging a couple of rain showers, a bumpy ride through some mountain passes and finally 18-24 kt winds to deal with at Kenai.

Already miss talking with Vlad, he is an awesome person, looking forward to his next visit on his way back to his home!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
2018 Dues Paid

Last edited by mbauer : 06-13-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Name change-spelling change
Old 06-12-2018, 05:06 AM

What a great trip! Thanks for the writeup and the photos. I hope you all had time to eat at Ray's Waterfront by the docks. It's awesome. OK, I'll bite, who's Jane?
Old 06-12-2018, 10:02 AM

not for sure, but I think I see some flap bracket fairings in Alaska. I need to tell Amanda.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 06-12-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:43 AM

Mike, thanks for sharing, both the pics and the stories!

I was ANC based for 20 years. Really miss the scenery and the fellowship, truly a unique corner of the world.

Keep 'em coming.

Doug,
Seattle area
Old 06-12-2018, 01:06 PM

Great Photos, thanks for posting. I am currently in Anchorage (been driving\meandering from my home in North Carolina since mid April! with a small popup camper.)

My wife is flying in commercially tonight and we will be up in Denali camping for a week and then down to the Kenai for a few weeks. I have never been there, looking forward to exploring the area. Alaska is so spectacular. I am intrigued with all the sea planes and deep use of GA

RV8 Flying since 2007
RV10 in construction (Fuselage)
Old 06-13-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post

Caleb I think was his name (i'll double check with Vlad when he heads back this way=I'm really bad with names sometimes). Any way he and his wife Jane were visiting Alaska by cruise ship.

After a brief history of tracking Vlad through Colorado and just missing at Loveland, CO, he finally caught up to Vlad by using a cruise ship, rental car and then flaggin' us down!
Mike, LOL!! Caleb is close...maybe?? It's actually Tobin & Jayne. Really great meeting you Mike. Have a safe Alaskan summer, this place is AMAZING! If/When I ever get my RV-7 up here, I'll look you up. And Vlad, really good to see you again. Be safe getting back to NY.

Tobin & Jayne
Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 PM

Default Busted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem46 View Post
Mike, LOL!! Caleb is close...maybe?? It's actually Tobin & Jayne. Really great meeting you Mike. Have a safe Alaskan summer, this place is AMAZING! If/When I ever get my RV-7 up here, I'll look you up. And Vlad, really good to see you again. Be safe getting back to NY.

Tobin & Jayne
Hi Jayne/Tobin,

I stand corrected! I'll edit the above post to get it right.

It was very pleasant meeting you, I loved the introduction!

Hope your further travels go well, enjoy Alaska. If you're still in Talkeetna, the Roadhouse has the best fruit/cinnamon rolls available anywhere...

I did forget to ask you what type of helo you flew? twin rotor possibly?

More than happy to help on your next visit or just sit and shoot the bull for awhile!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
2018 Dues Paid

Last edited by mbauer : 06-13-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve murray View Post
Great Photos, thanks for posting. I am currently in Anchorage (been driving\meandering from my home in North Carolina since mid April! with a small popup camper.)

My wife is flying in commercially tonight and we will be up in Denali camping for a week and then down to the Kenai for a few weeks. I have never been there, looking forward to exploring the area. Alaska is so spectacular. I am intrigued with all the sea planes and deep use of GA

Hi Steve,

That sounds like quite an adventure! Hope you are having fun, are you driving the Denali Highway?

Used to do that with my kids and mountain bikes. Lots of interesting riding and views along that highway! August is the best time for the blueberries though.

Where will you be at when you hit the Kenai Peninsula?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
2018 Dues Paid
Old 06-13-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopercod View Post
What a great trip! Thanks for the writeup and the photos. I hope you all had time to eat at Ray's Waterfront by the docks. It's awesome. OK, I'll bite, who's Jane?
Didn't make it to Ray's, was across the street.

I like seafood, but after 10lbs of king crab that Vlad and I shared on the day before, plus beer-batter coconut shrimp (2-week old fresh caught), was ready for a change-ordered good old fashioned cheeseburger for my meal.

I have heard they serve excellent grub! Will try there on one of my next visits.

Jayne is Tobin's wife.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
2018 Dues Paid
Old 06-13-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Hi Steve,

That sounds like quite an adventure! Hope you are having fun, are you driving the Denali Highway?

Used to do that with my kids and mountain bikes. Lots of interesting riding and views along that highway! August is the best time for the blueberries though.

Where will you be at when you hit the Kenai Peninsula?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Hey Mike

Yes, drove the Denali highway and camped a few nights along the side of the road, really spectacular drive.

For the Kenai section, my wife & I will be camping two days in Porcupine (Hope), three days in Williwaw (Whittier) then to Quartz campground ground and Trail River (Seward) after that, I expect we will back track a bit a go down towards Homer for a few days.

I plan to drive the "Top of the World" highway on my return to the states. Any\all recommendations are appreciated.

Steve

RV8 Flying since 2007
RV10 in construction (Fuselage)