- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket RV9 View Post
I just installed the echoUAT/SafeFly combo from GRT today. Installation was straightforward and took about 4 hours, counting a trip to Lowes to buy some 8-32 flush head screws for mounting. That also included building two RG400 antenna cables since I messed up the length of the first one. The ADS-B antenna was mounted by the left gear mount, withe GPS antenna on the glareshield.

Took another 30 minutes of looking at both GRT and uAvionix instructions to get all the settings properly configured. I have a single Sport SX EFIS.

I went for a test flight and the report showed all good except 100% Fail for Flight ID. The instructions had stated that this should be left blank, however the FAA seems to want this to be the same as the N-number for GA aircraft. I will make this change tomorrow and see how it works.

The IN portion works great and I have traffic and weather on both my EFIS and foreflight. An added bonus was that it supplies position data to the iPad so I can ditch my bluetooth GPS unit.

Chris
Great!
Thank you Chris, for the writeup.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:26 PM

Default Finally got my install done!

Since I started this thread it seems to have generated quite bit of interest! I thought it only fair that I give some feedback on my own install experience. I mounted the echoUAT unit on the baggage compartment aft bulkhead, so that the little indicator lights are visible. The UAT antenna went on the belly directly below, and the GPS unit went above. I ran a single wire from the avionics bay down through the tunnel for power. The power wire was spliced into the feed to the transponder. So far the 7.5 amp fuse for the avionics is holding up just fine with the extra load.

First flight was today, in a marginal ADS-B area, and the performance report was good in all respects except for a high failure rate in baro-altitude. Next flight will be Friday and I will make it a point to do it in a better coverage area. If baro-altitude is still problematic I will have to contact tech support for help. More after Friday’s flight.
One Week Wonder Participant, 2018.
VAF paid through 10/2018.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:49 PM

John - see my posts starting #34... http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...=161129&page=4
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 392

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 08-12-2018, 06:41 PM

I did a 90nm cross-country this morning with the full intension of returning by noon. T-storms were forecast for the afternoon. Plans got altered and I returned mid-day. I recently installed ADS-B in/out in my RV-12 and the iPad running ForeFlight lit up like a Christmas tree. See pics below taken poorly with a cell phone camera.

Who would have imagined, even just a few years ago, that we’d have real-time weather and traffic displayed on a color screen? Just amazing technology…

-
EAA #499867
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 392

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Old 08-12-2018, 07:12 PM

Just remember, that ‘real time’ weather is not really real time. Don’t cut it too close.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:40 AM

Default Struggling to get a good report.

After trying a range of Transponder Threshold settings I was still getting Baro Alt errors too high to pass the test. Tech support sent me a replacement unit and now Baro Alt and Mode 3A are both showing 100% error rates. Since these are both supposed to be “sniffed” from the existing transponder it seems the echoUAT is not “hearing” that signal.

Has anyone else had this problem?

One theory I have is that the problem is due to the way I mounted the unit to the bulkhead, by Velcro, without a direct case to ground connection, depending on the grounding via Pin 1 and the coax shield. Anyone else mount their unit this way?

I will be continuing to work with uAvionix this week to try and resolve this problem, but if anyone else has any bright ideas I would welcome them.

BTW, all other functions of the box are working fine.
One Week Wonder Participant, 2018.
VAF paid through 10/2018.

Last edited by BigJohn : 09-02-2018 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 09-02-2018, 12:15 PM

Try adding alligator clip jumper wire to ground the unit?
EAA #499867

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Old 09-02-2018, 01:40 PM

Work with UAvionics to get it hardwired for the stuff currently sniffed. Way better solution and it doesnt require your xpdr to get pinged for the Echo to do its job.
N251Y (res)
Dec2017
Old 09-02-2018, 02:23 PM

What are you using as an encoder? I had a similar problem. I’m using a GRT Sport SX EFIS with a GRT a Safefly 2020/Uavionix Echo UAT combo. Best I could do was a 49% baro alt fail.

Visited the GRT as well as Uavionix booths at Airventure and thankfully talked to a Ryan (did not get his last name) who also asked me what I was using as an encoder. When I said GRT, he immediately said, “I think I know what the problem is. Is your airplane on the field here at the show?”

Yup. Just flew in the day before.

So he the says, “Let’s go out and fix it.”

Holly Ads-b, Batman!! I coulda kissed the guy! So we went out to the airplane and turned out I hadn’t downloaded the current update that addresses the trouble with GRT playing nice with the Echo. Also the setup page was not showing my ICAOnumber that I thought I had entered.

Once he says it’s all fixed, then he asked if I got my free t-shirt yet. So back to the booth for a freebie. I love you, man!!

Sure enough, flight home 0% fail. Life is good.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:13 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by painless View Post

Visited the GRT as well as Uavionix booths at Airventure and thankfully talked to a Ryan (did not get his last name)

turned out I hadn’t downloaded the current update that addresses the trouble with GRT playing nice with the Echo.
Ryan--------GRT or uAvionix guy?

Software update from GRT or uAvionix?

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."