VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-08-2015, 04:57 PM

Default AVEO light discoloration

I have a 5 year old posistrobe XP that has pretty much set in the box. The polycarbonate material that the LED is encased in has disclolred, almost a yellowish brown, like the headlights of the late nineties. The light operates correctly however. Sorry no pics. Has anyone else run into this with the AVEO products. The supplier that I purchased from has moved on and Spruce can't offer any info.
Thanks
http://www.mykitlog.com/MikeMike

2017 Donation gladly paid.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxrate View Post
I have a 5 year old posistrobe XP that has pretty much set in the box. The polycarbonate material that the LED is encased in has disclolred, almost a yellowish brown, like the headlights of the late nineties. The light operates correctly however. Sorry no pics. Has anyone else run into this with the AVEO products. The supplier that I purchased from has moved on and Spruce can't offer any info.
Thanks
I have their lights installed and had one fail. Contacted them directly and they made good. You might want to contact them to see what they say. The lights have a lifetime warranty.
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"
Old 02-08-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxrate View Post
Thanks
Yep, had the exact same problem on mine (although it was mounted a couple of years ago; airplane is hangared, so the amount of direct sunlight on it is theoretically about the same as the flight hours, 300 or so).

Aveo replaced it no problem just this week. They said they have improved their polycarbonate housing since the product was first introduced (my Aveo Ultra Embedded nav/strobe lights show no discoloration).

Contact them directly...PM me for email of the guy who helped me. VERY responsive customer service from their Florida office.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
Aveo replaced it no problem just this week. They said they have improved their polycarbonate housing since the product was first introduced (my Aveo Ultra Embedded nav/strobe lights show no discoloration).

Contact them directly...PM me for email of the guy who helped me. VERY responsive customer service from their Florida office.
Guess it depends who you talk to. I had nav/strobes installed for ~500 hrs when I called to complain about them being discolored and rough. The guy I talked to told me to clean them with denatured alcohol and buff them out. If they didn't clean up to call them back. I quizzed him about the material since they're using the same advertising term, Diatanium or something, as when I purchased. He said they changed but seemed to waffle whether I had the old or new. They cleaned up to be more presentable but still not as clear as when new. I haven't called them back but the conversation left a real bad taste.

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - 16 yrs and 98.1% done
1940 Rearwin Cloudster project next
3.5 L-2 projects on deck
Old 02-09-2015, 08:56 AM

Default the good the bad and the ugly

Polycarbonate
Has some good and bad properties.
It's very bendable and very safe because it's very soft, drills very easy.
Great for impact resistance and safety wear.

On poly sheets it will say this side out because it has a UV coat added on that side.
On eye wear UV coat is added automatically. Not the best optically, also has chromatic distortions
Will Yellow over time.

Bill
Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyoung View Post
Guess it depends who you talk to. I had nav/strobes installed for ~500 hrs when I called to complain about them being discolored and rough. The guy I talked to told me to clean them with denatured alcohol and buff them out. If they didn't clean up to call them back. I quizzed him about the material since they're using the same advertising term, Diatanium or something, as when I purchased. He said they changed but seemed to waffle whether I had the old or new. They cleaned up to be more presentable but still not as clear as when new. I haven't called them back but the conversation left a real bad taste.
I had the same experience with my AVEO POWERBURST Nav/Strobe lights and my airplane is always hangared. They told me they have to be buffed and waxed once or twice a month and it is specified in section #8 of the POWERBURST Installation Manual. They did send me some kind of "buffing compound" that helped a bit but did not clear up the yellowish haze. As a comparison my KUNTLEMAN beacon, which is 3yrs older than the AVEO, is as clear as the day I bought it and I have never buffed or waxed it.

I haven't called them back but if the lights fail or get too opaque I will change to another brand.

www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 PM

Default Aveo

Oh well. Was planning on buying these as well
As a tear drop shaped landing light that I was planning on
mounting to the inspection panel. I now have second thoughts.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:22 PM

Aveo CEO has yet to write me back about a product inquiry, this combined with the constant promises of the Conforma wing tips and then misdelivery, has me doubting the company, especially with the prices they command

EDIT: I did hear from someone else at Aveo, who was extremely helpful- perhaps the CEO is busy, which is understandable. I was rather eager to display the Conforma wingtips and exchanged 15-20 emails inquiring about fit and details, I still do not have a pair nor have been offered the opportunity to purchase a pair, so i'll leave that comment in place
RV4 - Skyview Sold!

Last edited by bkthomps : 02-10-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: as
Old 02-10-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyoung View Post
Guess it depends who you talk to. I had nav/strobes installed for ~500 hrs when I called to complain about them being discolored and rough. The guy I talked to told me to clean them with denatured alcohol and buff them out. . . . They cleaned up to be more presentable but still not as clear as when new. I haven't called them back but the conversation left a real bad taste.
Identical to my experience, although only my port light is the problem child.
RV-6A bought flying
Old 02-10-2015, 02:56 PM

I'm not sure who told you this but feel free to call me at 631-327-2632 should you need anything.