VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Traditional Aircraft Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2017, 06:46 PM

Default Avstar fuel injection servo installation on IO-360m1b

Hi All,
I am wanting to install the Avstar AVX-5VA1 throttle body/injector servo on the IO-360M1B I purchased from Vans, and had acouple of questions regarding the install process and documentation.
First, the RV-7 firewall Forward instructions say nothing about the throttle body installation that I can find, and secondly the drawing OP-22 that shows the throttle and mixture attachments seem to indicate that the outlet should be on top and not the bottom, and that the throttle and mixture arm clocking is incorrect.
If someone is able to point me in the direction of some more comprehensive installation documentation I would greatly appreciate it.
If there isn't any such documentation, then I gather I should install the gasket dry and torque 5/16" nuts to 204-228 in lb (with new star lock washers) and simply re clock the mixture and throttle arms so that the suit the position of the cable locations provided in the firewall forward package?
Cheers.
Tom.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:54 PM

Default AvStar

Hi Tom,

Contact Eric Weaver at AvStar, heís most helpful.

AvStar are currently replacing an AVX-320-3 for me because it was sent incorrectly setup. Mixture was fine however throttle lever travel was opposite required. Needed entirely new setup.

I donít believe there is any comprehensive documentation available, but engineering will answer questions.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:09 PM

Tom,
I have a recent Van's YIO-360-M1B installed on my 7. I believe I had to just simply loosen the throttle and mixture arms and reindex as necessary to fit the throttle and mixture brackets provided in the FWF kit. No big deal. You will also find you will likley need to do the same with the governor.
BTW I got my Airworthiness issued today. Hope for 1st flight tomorrow.

Jake
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 100+hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
2018 dues paid.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:22 PM

Awesome. Thanks guys for the quick response. Looks like I'm heading generally in the right direction.
T.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmillso View Post
Hi All,
I am wanting to install the Avstar AVX-5VA1 throttle body/injector servo on the IO-360M1B I purchased from Vans ... I gather I should install the gasket dry and torque 5/16" nuts to 204-228 in lb (with new star lock washers) and simply re clock the mixture and throttle arms so that the suit the position of the cable locations provided in the firewall forward package?
Cheers.
Tom.
Tom, did this work out for you? I'm in the same boat. I assume the servo can be installed in any orientation? (fuel input to right and output down viewing aft)?

Any particular issue with the reclocking? Where did you hold when torquing the nuts?

Did the Vans throttle and mixture brackets work ok?

Thanks,

dave
paid 2018
Old 06-13-2018, 08:08 PM

Dave,
I installed mine with the fuel inlet on the left side, fuel line out to spider on right side. This was the only logical installation and matched the supplied fuel lines that came with the engine. Needed to reclock mixture and throttle arms. All of this mated up nicely to Vans throttle and mixture control brackets per drawings.
2018 dues paid.

Last edited by Jpm757 : 06-13-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:28 PM

Thanks Jake,

Mine is fuel input on the left (facing forward) and output clocked to the right, so I think we are similar. Also matched lines from Lycoming.

My fuel output fitting was installed on the bottom, but not sure if it will clear the cowl yet. I may be better off moving the output to the top as most others seem to have installed on the top. The bottom would be easier to work on though.

It is not labelled, but I believe

is the 'alternate output' port.

The Avstar seems to match the Silverhawk EX-5VA1 quite closely. Perhaps a re-label? Anyway the doc for the Silverhawk shows the above as the alternate. It is however not labelled on the Avstar.

I wonder if anyone can confirm that the port above is the alternate out for the Avstar AVX-5VA1?

Cheers
dave
paid 2018
Old 06-13-2018, 08:39 PM

Hey Dave,

My outlet is on the bottom per the standard concept, then I bring a flex line up to my FT60 which sits on top of the injector, attached to the sump using adel clamps. I just had to re-clock those arms. When I did the nuts up I think I just held the arms with an adjustable wrench. I'll grab some photos tonight and post them for you so you can see how I routed things.

Tom.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:47 PM

Dave,
My output was also on the bottom, angled it slightly forward or aft (I don't remember which) and it will clear the cowling just fine.
2018 dues paid.

Last edited by Jpm757 : 06-13-2018 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-14-2018, 11:07 AM

I wonder if the RV7 is the same as the RV8? I made a cardboard mock up with the servo output on the bottom and it looks tight holding the lower cowl in position.

-dave
paid 2018