VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-13-2018, 12:29 PM

What a phenomenal trip together for the two of you! Thank you for sharing this! Look forward to hearing the rest of the trip!
Fredericksburg, VA

VAF Dues Gladly Paid Despite the Waiver! Thanks Doug!
Old 06-13-2018, 01:02 PM

Default 48 States in 7 Days - Day 6

Day 6 - Thursday, May 31th, 2018

The two man tent was quite cozy. We have a bigger one but this one is nice and light and was only meant as a backup for this trip. Glad we had it. Austin said he didn't sleep well as he had forgotten his eye shades and didn't want to get up to get them. We had a few good rain showers overnight with no leaks in the tent plus a nice wet airplane to make it easier to clean. For breakfast, we added cold water to my powdered milk and cereal in a ziplock that I had read about on a camping blog. They said the key was the best quality powdered milk and it was actually pretty good.

When we were finished with breakfast and almost finished packing the airplane, an older lady drove up to the fence and yelled she had unlocked the FBO for us. We finished packing and taxied the airplane over in front of the FBO and went inside to use the facilities. While washing my hands, I had an odd feeling like vertigo and worried maybe I was too tired from the trip or getting sick. Turned out the mirror was warped at the top and the peripheral reflection behind me was like a fun house mirror. Whew, crisis averted! We ended up waiting in the FBO about 30 minutes for the weather to clear. The man from last night and the lady from this morning were in the FBO with us but neither visited or even said hi. The open pilot lounge looked like the grand kid's playroom and before we left, we got the distinct impression that the couple was paid to run the FBO but didn't care much for those pesky pilots or airplanes. Hopefully we're wrong and this FBO is as pilot friendly as all the others we've visited.

Today will take us to Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.

Pikeville, Kentucky (KPBX) was our first stop. It was on the top of a mountain and the valleys were so deep and steep that we couldn't see the town. The sights were pretty but the fact that they listed showers was key to our decision to stop there. We appreciated being able to wash off camping grunge in nice warm showers. We were met at the fuel pumps and assisted by a very nice young man who worked at the FBO. He was born and raised in Pikeville and we enjoyed a long talk with him about the town and the airport and Kentucky basketball. Austin thought he had the most stereotypical accent we heard on the trip. Before we left, two older gentlemen who arrived in a Mooney chatted with us and said they liked the airplane and our story. They were also born and raised in Pikeville.

Jonesville, Virginia (0VG) was the poorest looking part of the country we saw from the air. The airport looked almost abandoned but the FBO was very nice and new and the A/C was cold. We borrowed the loaner car and set out for lunch. Neither of us had cell reception (different carriers) so we guessed on the turn out of the airport. After 15 minutes of driving and nothing to find, we decided to return to the airport and eat our freeze dried sweet and sour pork with rice, which was delicious. Notice the change of clothes?

Turns out the town was the other way but it was about 20 minutes away. This is what we saw during our drive.

Elizabethton, Tennessee (0A9) has very pretty hills and valleys. This was just a quick stop for a picture. A Cirrus Vision Jet landed right after us but opposite direction with a tailwind. Departing, we had to climb to cross Appalachian mountains. If the weather had been better, I would have enjoyed flying by Boone, North Carolina to see where I lived for a year in High School.

Shelby, North Carolina (KEHO). My daughter.'s name is Shelby so how could we not stop here even if it was a little out of our way. We did have to race a localized storm to get there but it ended up dissipating so we didn't have to hurry after we arrived.

Union, South Carolina (35A) was an old airfield where the water fountain didn't work and the liquid from the outside spigot was brown. We did buy some bottled water from the soda machine. Someone saw us land and came over from his hanger to visit. He was helping daughter work on her car in his hanger. We didn't stay long as we had called ahead to relatives in Georgia that we were coming so we didn't want to keep them waiting.

Perry, Georgia (KPXE) was a planned stop for the night as we have many relatives in the area. My dad had six siblings and they never left the area so I can't throw a rock without hitting a cousin. My uncle Tommy and Aunt Lois were there to meet us. Uncle Tommy took us to his house and fed us dinner after we had swum in his pool while eating boiled peanuts. We also got to see several more relatives including Aunt Guynell (my dad calls her Penny), and my cousin Laura who I probably saw more than any growing up. We forgot to get a picture of the state stickers as we were enjoying visiting with relatives.
VAF Paid - Annual Autodraft

Last edited by larrynew : 06-13-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:54 PM

A most excellent adventure, thanks for posting.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:28 PM

Default 48 States in 7 Days - Day 7

Day 7 - Friday, June 1st, 2018

We were up early at cousin Mark and Gayle's house with Uncle Tommy arriving at exactly 6 a.m. to cook a delicious southern breakfast including grits with Aunt Lois helping. Much better than my powdered milk and cereal in a ziplock! On the way to the airport, we visited with Jeff, cousin Laura's husband. He owns a big company that builds huge electric motor starters. We got the nickle tour and parting gifts of Yeti cups. It was super interesting to see in inner workings of a small factory. Another cousin Dwayne worked there and we visited for a few moments. Remember not being able to throw a rock without hitting a cousin? We didn't mind the somewhat slow start as the morning clouds in Florida had our destination IFR.

When we departed for Marianna, Florida (KMAI) the weather was already VFR. There were multiple helicopters making practice approaches to the field and it looked like it used to be a very large training base of some sort. We parked next to an RV but didn't go in to visit, only taking a quick picture. We were both beginning to feel that this was the last day of the trip and we need to keep pushing and finish. No so much get-home-itis but more keeping the momentum going.

Cousin Laura left us a snack box the evening before and we broke it out and started snacking. Georgia peaches, Uncle Tommy's boiled peanuts and more. Extremely appreciated. Thanks, Laura!

Greenville, Alabama (KPRN) was a stop recommended by Dan H. and it was a good one. Cheap gas. Very friendly lady in the FBO who told us about visiting her son in San Antonio. We loved her southern accent. Comfortable couches to rest for a spell and even an orange stripped kitten on the porch. Austin said if his sister was with us, she'd leave us to stay with the kitten. One odd thing was the Civil Air Patrol C-172 that left about a minute before us and their radio calls. The official name of the field is Mac Crenshaw Memorial. The pilot in the C-172 only used "Greenville" and never Mac Crenshaw. Pet peeve of mine but I always try to use the official name but occasionally squeeze in the city name to ensure locals know we're here. I used Mac Crenshaw Memorial in about six radio calls and the other pilot seemed to be purposely not using Mac Crenshaw. We imagined he had some beef with who ever Mac Crenshaw was.

Carthage, Mississippi (08M) felt like a remote crop duster field or so we thought based on the only airplane we saw. There were some folks in a nearby hanger sitting around an airplane under repair. Austin said he heard one lady say she liked the color of our airplane. Quick fuel top off and we departed.

Monticello, Arkansas (KLLQ). Austin was flying this leg and was surprised to see a crop duster so close to the runway. We visited with the friendly airport manager while we were soaking up some air-conditioning. It was H-O-T outside. We got snacks of peanut butter m&m's and orange crush and continued downhill to home.

Natchitoches, Louisiana (KIER) was the last state we needed to complete all 48 lower states in 7 days. Woo Hoo! We pushed the airplane onto the grass to keep it a little cooler than the scorching hot ramp as we planned to eat something and spend more time in the air-conditioning before leaving for home. The lineman was refueling a pink Gama Aviation Wheels Up charter King Air and yelled at us to not block his parking space so we scooted the plane over a little. We planned to go to the meat pie place in town but it closed at 3 p.m. and we couldn't make it by then. Austin decided to eat the last of the freeze dried hiking food and I had a few crackers from Laura's snack pack. I met a fellow Marine in the lobby that was the pilot for the pink King Air and he said the company has other interesting color schemes for their planes including camouflage. He said he flew OV-10 Broncos in the Marine Corps.

Before we left Natchitoches, we put the last of the stickers on the map. The trip back was at 12,500 feet and nice and cool and one of the few times we had a tailwind.

We made it to New Braunfels, Texas (KBAZ) in time to eat dinner at home. Austin wanted a picture of us like the one he took as we departed a week ago but showing how tired we were. We didn't have to pretend.

Time to put the airplane away and go home and spend the next couple of days recovering.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:37 PM

Default Marianna, Fla Stop

I am a little shocked to see my RV4 in the picture you took at Marianna. I had stopped for a short visit and saw you guys land and taxi in. I wondered where you went so quickly!
1949 C140A N9641A
Old 06-14-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlisler View Post
I am a little shocked to see my RV4 in the picture you took at Marianna. I had stopped for a short visit and saw you guys land and taxi in. I wondered where you went so quickly!
We should have stopped to say hi as we parked next to you on purpose. We kept an eye out for RVs on the trip but only saw a couple, which surprised us.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 PM

What a fantastic story, thank you for sharing.

Tim
Old 06-14-2018, 03:49 PM

wow, I really liked this.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 06-14-2018, 09:07 PM

Default Lane Southern Orchards

I couldn’t help notice the box of Lane Southern Orchards peaches 🍑 on the picture on the front page of VAF. Your mention of the peaches confirmed my suspicions! I love those peaches and look forward to them every season.

I have an airpark lot 4.5 nm NW of PXE directly across they highway from the packing house. I land, walk across the field about a 100 yards, and get my peaches. I call them, “the most expensive peaches in the world,” costing me about $50 in AVGAS!

The place is a tourist destination with motorists stopping in off of I-75. You can watch the packing process, eat great local Southern cuisine at their restaurant, shop at their most excellent gift shop to buy fresh fruits and vegetables and other products from across the SE. They even have a park for children and a covered pavilion for picnicking.

It’s been a regular trip for my family, sometimes my son, sometimes my wife, for over 10 years. I’ve taken other guests there too and everyone loves it. Make sure and leave room for peach cobbler a lá mode served with, of course, peach ice cream!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:54 PM

I really enjoyed the write-up, too. It is fun and inspiring. Thanks!
RV-14A Empennage Kit #140396
=========================================