VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-12-2018, 07:42 AM

Default WTB VOR/LOC/GS Indicator

Need an indicator compatible with a Garmin SL-30.

Michel
Old 06-12-2018, 08:49 AM

Might I suggest a Garmin G5? I have one in my 172 as an SL30 indicator and it works great. Connection is through the 3-wire serial port so almost impossible to screw up.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:58 PM

In case you weren’t aware, the SL30 has an RS232 digital output, making it compatible with virtually every EFIS out there. In addition, you can set the OBS setting on the SL30 itself, so an indicator without any OBS functionality can be used (probably the cheapest option). You can also display a digital left-right CDI (but no glide slope) directly on the SL30. Lots of options. If you do go the efis route, you may as well verify that it can simultaneously display both active and standby nav data - the SL30 outputs that, too.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:26 PM

Thanks for your suggestion but I already have an EFIS receiving data from a GNS-430 and SL-30. The indicator is in addition to the EFIS for redundancy.
Michel
Old 06-12-2018, 05:03 PM

I've got a Mid-Continent indicator, 2" size, new in the box, bought new surplus from Stein. $700. PM me, please.
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 06-12-2018, 05:28 PM

Okay, this is more complicated. I *think* that if you had an in-flight efis failure, you would have to go into the SL-30’s setup menu and select a new OBS source, if you have an external CDI/OBS backup. Given the pressure of dealing with an efis failure, do you think an alternative would be just navigating by the to or from bearing shown on the SL30 display? If you want localizer info, you could put in a simple (no obs) left-right cdi needle, or use the SL30’s display. If you want glide slope info, then you need a GS needle (but still no OBS data).
Old 06-12-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Okay, this is more complicated. I *think* that if you had an in-flight efis failure, you would have to go into the SL-30’s setup menu and select a new OBS source.
I think Bob is basically on to something here. The SL-30 needs to have exactly one OBS source. Solutions are a switch/relay of some sort, or don't wire the OBS portion, if you can do that.

I'm probably blowing smoke, but hopefully not dense smoke...
2018 dues paid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 06-12-2018, 06:11 PM

I have 1 x MD200-306 (the CDI for the SL30) removed when needing more space for “glass”.
Can take to OSH if you’re going there.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:33 PM

I think you can do what you are trying for a backup. I have a Dynon D100 that receives data from 430W and the Garmin indicator as well. Using the ARINC module from Dynon you can select the nav input for the D100 and select the indicator on the 430. Good luck
Dave