- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2010, 03:02 PM

Karl:

It worked great. Frank Smidler stopped by while I was fabricating the doubler and helped me with the fit. I will upload a picture of the result soon. (I use photobucket to upload pictures, I think Frank uses picasa so he might be able to help you with your uploads)

Remember, the step doubler calls out AN470 rivets, so those holes won't need dimpling.

Thanks

Paul
Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM

Paul,
True story on the AN470 rivets, I think the step actually picks up new holes between the existing AN426 rivets, I will have to check again. My patch has a couple of new holes that I drilled on the curved area because of how I designed the repair. I'm glad you are headed down the road past this problem.
Karl
___\__(X)__/___
....... o/ \o

"You can have 5000 hours in fast jets and still
kill yourself in a Cessna trying to impress your Grandma."

Last edited by Karl.Kruger : 12-12-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 AM

Default Conical Bend solution from Van's

One of mine turned out perfect, the other developed a little crack. I notified Van's and Joe B. offered the solution below. I stopped drilled it but haven't created a doubler yet. I moved on.

"Try stop drilling the hole with a #30 bit and then fabricating a doubler patch, and riveting it to the inside of the skin. That should beef it up and keep it from cracking further."

Doug
RV-7
Fuselage
Old 06-08-2018, 03:17 PM

It was nice to find this thread on how to bend the conical. I posted on the 5th of this month asking if there was a thread like this and it was closed the next day!?

I read all the postings and then went out to the garage and applied/blended a couples techniques. Both bends turned out very good with NO cracks! Very Pleased!

One thing I will add is that the angle iron has to be on the inside of the bend. I almost messed up the second one, the bend will start at the hole line, I was watching for it and caught it in time!

John A
RV7A