Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-30-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmillso View Post
I just mounted my 380x150-5's and they look great. Does anyone have a recommended tire pressure that I should be running in these?
Cheers,
Tom.
I run mine at 45--50 psi.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 515 in 9 years (would have flown more this year if not for fire smoke)
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 10-31-2017, 12:41 AM

Thanks guys. I'm running the Matco wheel/brake assembly that came with the RV-7 kit and I've run into the clearance issue with the caliper. I've measured the clearance from 20 through to 65psi and plotted it. At 20 psi I have 0.032" at this worst case location, at 65psi I have 4 thou, and based on the shape of the curve I estimate contact at around 90 psi. I see some earlier posts regarding shimming things to improve the clearance, however it's not exactly clear what to shim. If I am to bother shimming say a 0.063" further out , in my mind that would require a 4.5" diameter disc to be fabricated between the brake rotor and the inner rim half, an 0.063" thicker shim that is currently in place against the inboard bearing, and a 0.063" thinner shim between the outer bearing and the axle nut. This would mean that I would not have to drill a new axle position, which I really do not want to do.
Or, I could just leave it at the current clearance and see how things go?
How are others achieving the desired clearance, and what should that target clearance be?
Old 06-03-2018, 11:56 AM

Great thread guys!
In a mid life crisis I've started my RV8 build. Lucky enough to have time, so empennage finished in 5 weeks.. fuselage kit will be here in 4 weeks time. I'm currently operating a 180hp Husky from a 570' strip with a wall at each end, so probably won't be taking the RV there (but I'll no doubt give it a go later!). Dropping from 26" wheels to standard Vans wheels was too much of a culture shock, so Ive ordered Grove one-piece gear, 6 inch wheels and plan on putting 600x6 tyres on, with James wheel pants for the RV10. My Husky guru, Tom Dietrich uses the same pants with 700 x 6 wheels on his Allison powered (450shp) hot rod, Pocket Rocket... take a look on youtube, they look great!. I'll let you know how I get on with them in a short while...

Last edited by Huskyhipdoc : 06-04-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:44 PM

Default Big Un's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEicher View Post
Thanks Smokey! I'll let you know how it works, or watch for me in the news!
Good call Bruce!
I am certain you will be glad you made the swap. I have found after 10 years of "use and abuse" that the 380's way outperform the 500X5's on my (former) Rocket and my (current) RVX.
Steve Sampson introduced me to them while he was building his RV4 masterpiece "G-IKON" and I haven't even considered going back to the 500's since.*

V/R
Smokey

*Side note: Landings on soft turf, mud and gravel are vastly improved by the 380's however, handling on pavement is also superior. BTW, I have found 30 PSI to work well on most surfaces.

Last edited by smokyray : 06-06-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:46 PM

you can get 6" wheels for a 1 1/4 axle from Grove... same as supercub version, then fit RV10 wheel pants.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:46 AM

In one of these big tires thread around here someone mentioned the Sam James 5x500 wheel pants, but I cant find it anymore.

So anyone using James pants with the 380s? Looking for any lessons learned and maybe some pics.....I'm at the pants buying stage.

Thanks for any help.
N251Y (res)
Dec2017

Last edited by maniago : 08-13-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:24 PM

Default Sam's Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniago View Post
In one of these big tires thread around here someone mentioned the Sam James 5x500 wheel pants, but I cant find it anymore.

So anyone using James pants with the 380s? Looking for any lessons learned and maybe some pics.....I'm at the pants buying stage.

Thanks for any help.
Mani,
My HR2 had Sam James Pants on it when I bought it. When I converted to Rocket to the 380's, I attempted to retrofit and modify the SJ pants but they were too narrow, shallow and would have looked goofy jacked up above the bigger tires and defeat the purpose of drag reduction.
Additionally, the SJ pants are longer with no up-slope aft of the tire which reduces ground clearance on rough turf, gravel or mud, especially with the HR's high AOA when parked.

After much measuring, cutting and staring at Steve Sampson's blog, I purchased and installed the Van's Pressure Recovery pants.
They work well, are easily cut and fair around the tires nicely (see pic).

Post script: I didn't lose one knot of speed with the bigger tires and Van's pants
V/R
Smokey

screen shots
Van's PR Pants have plenty of room.

My HR2 with the 380's installed

PS:If you operate off rough turf or gravel, fabricate Thin chrome molysteel wheel pant brackets using the aluminum examples as a guide, much stronger.

Last edited by smokyray : 08-14-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:38 PM

I put 380ís on my HRII with the Sam James pants, but itwas too tight of a fit. In the end I used Desser retreads which are the same diameter as the 380s, but narrower.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 under construction
Old 08-14-2018, 07:47 PM

Default Tough Mudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
I put 380’s on my HRII with the Sam James pants, but itwas too tight of a fit. In the end I used Desser retreads which are the same diameter as the 380s, but narrower.
Vern, glad the RT's and your James pants worked, but my whole reason (and anyone else) for installing 380's is the wider footprint on soft ground. Reason is, they work. They also improve handling on hard surfaces...
On my soft, sandy turf strip (especially after a good rain) the difference in taxiing (or sinking) and landing (and not flipping over) my RV's from 500's to the 380's was very noticeable. However, on the heavier HR2, critical.

If you venture off road in an RV or Rocket, these are the tires of choice IMHO, AK Bushwheels notwithstanding.
Something to consider on yours...
V/R
Smokey

Last edited by smokyray : 08-14-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyray View Post
Vern, glad the RT's and your James pants worked, but my whole reason (and anyone else) for installing 380's is the wider footprint on soft ground. Reason is, they work. They also improve handling on hard surfaces...
On my soft, sandy turf strip (especially after a good rain) the difference in taxiing (or sinking) and landing (and not flipping over) my RV's from 500's to the 380's was very noticeable. However, on the heavier HR2, critical.

If you venture off road in an RV or Rocket, these are the tires of choice IMHO, AK Bushwheels notwithstanding.
Something to consider on yours...
V/R
Smokey
That was my original purpose with the 380s as well. Unfortunately, the James pants are just too tight of a fit. Everything was fine until I reversed the tires on the rims, then they interfered.

FYI, I found that it's the wheel pants, not the tires, that are the limitation on soft fields. I have come to the conclusion that the Rocket is not a bush plane, go figure.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 under construction