VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-05-2018, 04:08 AM

Default 21iS/U-03 Figure 2

Iím needing clarification. Iím working on the iS fuselage kit. On page 21iS/U-03, Figure 2, at the bottom left side of the diagram, it says ďCS4-4, Both Ends Flush FWD SideĒ. Iím not sure what this means. Does this only apply to the single hole that the arrow appears to be pointing to? And does the flush manufactured head go on the F-01204D-1 side just like the LP4-3 rivets do? I donít understand where the CS4-4 rivet or rivets must go and why it canít be a LP4-3. Thanks
iS Fuselage in progress
ULS Fuselage kit - SOLD

Farmer - corn & soybeans
Firefighter
2018 Dues Paid
Knoxville, IL
Old 06-05-2018, 09:25 AM

A CS4-4 rivet is a Counter Sunk / flush rivet.

Because of that, the hole it goes in must be prepared in some way for a flush rivet (dimple countersunk or machine countersunk).

The hole pointed to by the arrow was specified to be machine countersunk in Section 20iS/U, page 3, Step 8, for a CS4-4 countersunk rivet.

The riveting statement means to say the countersunk hole at each end of the bulkhead (it assumes since you are installing a flush rivet, you will be looking for holes that are either dimple countersunk or machine countersunk. At this point in the assemble process there are only two. The upper hole for attachment of the two F-01223 ribs.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-05-2018, 11:06 AM

Okay, that makes sense. I will look for the countersunk rivet hole when I get home. Thanks!
iS Fuselage in progress
ULS Fuselage kit - SOLD

Farmer - corn & soybeans
Firefighter
2018 Dues Paid
Knoxville, IL