- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
I wouldn't call it incorrect...

The original plans had the firewall with no slope in the upper area. I had to splice metal on my F-646 parts to get the slope.

F-646 was significantly redesigned in 1999 (R7 on Sheet 30).
I am aware of that Gil, but I think you know what I mean.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-04-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elev666 View Post
Just a guess , but is there not two different lengths of engine mounts ? One that gives you a 8.5 firewall to isolator mount centers and the other is 11 off the firewall for the lighter 0-290/ 235 powered RV 6s,,,, you may have the long one !
Scott may enlighten us on the history here !
There is, but the long one was only developed for use on an RV-7 with a light engine and prop. It would never be shipped with an RV-6 finish kit unless someone specifically did a special order for it.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-04-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
I wouldn't call it incorrect...

The original plans had the firewall with no slope in the upper area. I had to splice metal on my F-646 parts to get the slope.

F-646 was significantly redesigned in 1999 (R7 on Sheet 30).
Gil, I think your on to something. both of my front ribs "F-646" have been spliced to make up for the front slope and the middle rib doesn't come close to the firewall.

I cant rule out that the cowling has been pre-trimmed. But when i purchased this "project" there was no engine mount or engine so whomever never would have known where to cut the cowling.

At this point I think the only option is to order an exhaust and alternator, check for clearance problems and finish installing the cowling.

I have a fair idea that mine is going to be known as the "short cowl" RV6A and will be just a bit different from the rest.

Guess that's why they call them Experimental.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
There is, but the long one was only developed for use on an RV-7 with a light engine and prop. It would never be shipped with an RV-6 finish kit unless someone specifically did a special order for it.
Scott I think you and Gil both get a cookie. My conical engine mount is approx 13" from the firewall to engine.

Now it's all starting to make sense.

Al