VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-02-2018, 01:10 PM

Default RV-14 seat belts / harnesses

Before I rivet in my seat belt attach lugs, I have a few questions for those who have already installed harnesses in their -14's:

1) The stock attachment lugs use 1/4" bolt holes and 1/8" spacing between the lugs. Other VAF threads indicate that this may not be sufficient for some harnesses (Hookers?) and I noticed the RV-7 plans spec a 3/16" gap. It also appears that the Crow harnesses use very short attach lugs that result in the harness chafing on the airframe lug, but those may have been older style and no longer a problem? Anyone have issues with either the spacing or bolt hole size with any brand of harnesses?

2) Has anyone experienced issues with the stick (at full aft) interfering with the rotary latch (aka 'cam lock') on a Crow or Hooker harness? In my RV-8 I had the latch & link style and while they were comfortable and secure, it was a challenge to get all the links in place before you could latch it (especially for passengers), so I'm leaning toward the more expensive rotary style in the -14...but I've seen a few reports of issues with the stick contacting or even releasing the rotary latch which protrudes further than other latching mechanisms.

3) Any thoughts on pull up vs. pull down lap belt adjustment in the -14? I was happy with the pull up adjustment in my RV-8, but also had more room between the seat and fuselage sides in that airplane compared to a side-by-side, so the adjustment ergonomics were different.

4) Has anyone had issues with the shoulder harness irritating your neck? Since the harness must come together to a single attach point above the baggage area, depending on the geometry of how they are connected it seems some people have had complaints in other side-by-side RVs. Do pads help, or do they just exacerbate the problem since they are wider than the harness itself?

5) 2" vs. 3" webbing?

Any other input, good or bad, on experiences with harnesses in the -14 are welcome...
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...

Last edited by czechsix : 06-02-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: additional content
Old 06-02-2018, 03:57 PM

I have flown in a friend’s RV-14A a number of times and have never noticed an issue with his Crow rotary latches other than the adjustment (for me) to the non-inertia shoulder belts. I bought Hooker belts with rotary latches for my RV-14A. I have not flown yet, but hope I won’t experience anything different. My belts are 1.5 inches, but the shoulder pads are 4 inches and the lap pads are 3.5 inches. Not sure what his are.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Default Crow

I have crow 5 point harnesses with the ratchet. They work well, I would probably skip the ratchet if I did another one. They are quite a ways behind you in the -14 which makes it hard to tighten the ratchet. I can do aero easily by just pulling the straps tight. I love everything else about the crow belts. They feel good and look good.
RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 250+
2018 Dues Paid
Old 06-02-2018, 04:54 PM

So no issues with installing the Crow or Hooker harnesses in the RV-14 attach lugs? No mods required?
Old 06-03-2018, 02:06 AM

Default Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
So no issues with installing the Crow or Hooker harnesses in the RV-14 attach lugs? No mods required?
I don’t remember modding the -14 kit, but I did cut a bushing to reduce the crow mount by one bolt size.
RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 250+
2018 Dues Paid
Old 06-03-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M McGraw View Post
I don’t remember modding the -14 kit, but I did cut a bushing to reduce the crow mount by one bolt size.
That makes sense, looking at Crow's website it appears they are still shipping harnesses with 1/2" attachment holes and the 14 (and probably all RVs) use 1/4" bolts to attach the belts. Would be nice if Crow would throw in some bushings with 1/2" O.D. and 1/4"I.D.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
That makes sense, looking at Crow's website it appears they are still shipping harnesses with 1/2" attachment holes and the 14 (and probably all RVs) use 1/4" bolts to attach the belts. Would be nice if Crow would throw in some bushings with 1/2" O.D. and 1/4"I.D.
Call Crow to place the order, and tell them which RV it's for. Although the general PDF order form shows the 1/2" attachment hole, that is not what they ship for RVs.

I purchased a 5-point Crow harness for my RV-8 late last year, and it came with the correct size attachment holes. I called Crow to place the order and the person I spoke with was very knowledgeable about RVs. When I mentioned the PDF on-line order form, he acknowledged that it was out of date.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 06-03-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:25 PM

Default No problem with my Crows

I ordered mine thru Abby at Flightline Interiors and they fit my RV-14 perfectly. I have not flown yet, so cannot comment on any possible stick interference. Mine are 5-point restraints with the rotary latch, which is nice.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don E View Post
I ordered mine thru Abby at Flightline Interiors and they fit my RV-14 perfectly.
Same here.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com