VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-25-2018, 09:31 PM

Default DVDís or books

Iím getting ready to order my first RV14 kit and would like to find out if there areDVDís or books that may assist in my build.
Thanks
Jt
Old 05-26-2018, 12:01 AM

Not sure about books but lots of good blogs from builders. I took Synergy Air's class which I found very helpful.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/
Old 05-26-2018, 04:07 AM

I just got my emp yesterday, and have been trying to educate myself for the past year or so.

I purchased a couple of dvdís.. the eaa one wasnít that great, but the home built help one was very good (rudder workshop), as was the Les Bourne one.

By far the best though was the Rv14 plans wiki that is going around on the forums here. Very ver my good. Links to EVERYTHING to do with the -14. Really good for pre-reading.
http://www.tasrv14.blogspot.com.au/
Dues paid until April 2019
Old 05-26-2018, 09:45 AM

Lots of "how to" videos on the EAA website. Short, detailed, and very helpful. A quick search should bring them up for you.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:21 PM

Donít overlook the value of Section 5 in the plans. I read this section twice before starting, and then forgot 75% of what I read because I didnít need it for a while or didnít realize the value imbedded. I was constantly finding things (tricks and tips) in Section 5 after the fact that I could have found there much easier rather than searching on VAF or google.

RV-14A Builder - kit #136, XP-400 Aero Sport Power
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, >375 hrs
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 12/2018
Old 05-26-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
Donít overlook the value of Section 5 in the plans. I read this section twice before starting, and then forgot 75% of what I read because I didnít need it for a while or didnít realize the value imbedded. I was constantly finding things (tricks and tips) in Section 5 after the fact that I could have found there much easier rather than searching on VAF or google.
+1

When I started my build I did the same thing. This is my first airplane build so I started the learning curve almost at the bottom. The everyday operations of building are for the most part contained in Section 5.

I'd also suggest you read as many other builders blogs as you can. Some are rich in detail and can help you through a difficult part of your build. I really appreciated reading blogs that went past the mandated listing of completed operations and talked about the challenges encountered and the thought process of how to solve them.

However, take everything you read with a grain of salt. Most of us are not professional mechanics who do this day in and day out. I've seen some horrible advice (example: "Hey guys! You know how when you mark a part with a Sharpie, but it comes off when you wipe it with solvent? Just get an engraving pen and etch the part number on the part!") and some very good advice. Learning to tell the difference is something you acquire only with experience.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. Enjoy the journey!
RV-14A Kit#140433, N393AJ Reserved
Completed: Vertical Stab/Horizontal Stab
Scrapped: Rudder
Working on: Empennage (Elevator)
Construction log - mykitlog.com/ajackson
Dues paid on 10 October 2018
Member of EAA Chapter 92 (KCNO)
Pet peeve: "Lose" is the opposite of "find". "Loose" means "not tight".
Old 05-28-2018, 05:37 PM

Don't forget You Tube. Heaps of videos on various techniques.

The more you get into the build the more you will realise just how good the plans and the kit are. If something does not cleco together nicely, 99% of the time it's because you have done something wrong.

You've probably heard it before but try not to skip ahead. Almost all of my mistakes were because of that.

When I was building my 14 I was just behind the first builders so I got to read about most issues and questions just before I got to that section. Almost everything you will need to know has been discussed in this forum.

Good luck.
RV-14 #140181
Flying 5th January 2017
190+hours now