- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithflys23 View Post
Iíve been doing mainly wheel landings in the Super D. Iíve been carrying a little power until the mains are on, slowly retarding to idle, and flying the tail wheel on. Seems a lot more controlled that 3point landings.
I always wheel my -8 on. Once the mains are on I keep the tail up and let it settle on it's own. I get far less zig zagging that way.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:36 PM

Default Super Decathlon VS. RV-8

I recommend getting transition training in a 6 or 7 over a Decathlon. I earned my PPL in a Citabria and had a fair amount of time in Decathlons and Super D.'s, but i received additional transition training with Mike Seager in an RV-7 before test-flying my -8. The RV's actually have a significantly different feel than the Citabria/Decathlon series of aircraft, especially during landing. The RV's are more pitch sensitive and have a much different rudder sensitivity than the other aircraft. The 6 and 7 behave closely enough to the -8 that transition training in them will prepare you well for the -8.

One previous poster here talked about what a pussy cat the -8 is as a tail dragger, but beware that variation in main gear axle alignment can have a significant effect on how one -8 may feel compared to another. In my experience, an -8 that has a slight amount of tow-in (less than 1/2 degree) on the main gear can feel a bit twitchy and unpredictable during landing roll-out, while one with slight tow-out feels very stable and docile.

Skylor
RV-8
Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 PM

That's interesting about the toe-in-out. I've flown 2x8's and found them dead easy to handle. The 6's & 7's I've flown are similar, I'm talking about proper conventional u/c Vans machines�� With near 40 yrs of driving planes I've not found a more easier & sweet handling machine than a Vans 8. Just beautiful�� The first one I ever flew was an F1, couldn't justify the expense over an 8, but as they say a rocketship��