What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7/9 plans vs. RV-14

Roy25101

Ill apologize in advance if this has been addressed before but I am trying to decide between starting a -9 or a -14 and I am curious about the plans. I have been working on a -10 and love the step by step plans and illustrations. I understand the -14 is similar. For those folks who have built a -7/9 and are now working on a -14, could you give me an idea of the differences in the plans. Are they marginally better or significantly. Also, is the -14 a easier plane to build due to improvements in the kits themselves. I appreciate folks taking time to answer my questions. This is a great resource with a great group of people.

The newer type of plans are light years ahead of the older ones. You can download examples on Vans website.

That being said, thousands and thousands of RV's were built using the older ones.

Please correct me if I am mistaken but I believe the -14 kits are not only match-drilled but they are drilled to final size.

There is a benefit of being builder no. 1,500 instead of no. 50.....

This site and several excellent builder logs supplements the 'old' building manuals.
Having many different points of views instead of just one is priceless....even if the one comes from some great builders in a great company.

The -9 manual was adequate, but if it was all I had to go by, it would have been a longer process. It is important to read each section completely before doing any one step, study the plans very closely, and also learn from those ahead of you. I had several build logs I followed religiously that saved me from making a number of mistakes that I probably would have had I followed the manual alone. Since these resources exist (and VAF), there is plenty of information out there to build any of the older kits without much issue. But, if you just want to open the book, follow along, and get it done, the newer plans are definitely the way to go. Probably far fewer gotchas and surprises.

Chris

plans difference

For me I was attracted to the RV14 because the plans are better and the holes are pre-punched to final size. But then I started looking and realize there is size able difference in cost of the finished plane. Also the plane size is different too. So I am thinking now my decision between a 9 vs 14 is going to be based more on the physical and cost difference, rather than the plans. Right now I plan to go to vans and see both, fly the 9, and if the 9 fits, the cost difference for me will be hard to justify the 14.

For me I was attracted to the RV14 because the plans are better and the holes are pre-punched to final size. But then I started looking and realize there is size able difference in cost of the finished plane. Also the plane size is different too. So I am thinking now my decision between a 9 vs 14 is going to be based more on the physical and cost difference, rather than the plans. Right now I plan to go to vans and see both, fly the 9, and if the 9 fits, the cost difference for me will be hard to justify the 14.

What he said ...

Basically, if you can afford the -14, go ahead, it's a better kit ... otherwise, you'll manage with the -9 plans, it'll just require more decoding of plans and drawings ...

I'm doing the -9A, as the -14A is out of my reach money wise ...

Sure would love to see Van's re-issue new style plans for older models still being sold!

The newer type of plans are light years ahead of the older ones. You can download examples on Vans website.

That being said, thousands and thousands of RV's were built using the older ones.

+1

Since you are asking, it is your first build. Being at the end of my 7 build - the reading, researching, thinking, double checking skills are all finally honed, enough that the 7 plans are adequate, but in the beginning it was a steep learning curve. The measurement of said was the scrap pile, It grew and grew, then started shrinking. Nearly gone now. Vans has come a long long way in design, manufacturing, documentation, and completeness. Stay on plan and all will move smoothly.

The -9 manual was adequate, but if it was all I had to go by, it would have been a longer process. It is important to read each section completely before doing any one step, study the plans very closely, and also learn from those ahead of you. I had several build logs I followed religiously that saved me from making a number of mistakes that I probably would have had I followed the manual alone. Since these resources exist (and VAF), there is plenty of information out there to build any of the older kits without much issue. But, if you just want to open the book, follow along, and get it done, the newer plans are definitely the way to go. Probably far fewer gotchas and surprises.

Chris

I fully agree with Chris' comments. :)

+1 for the above comment.

If you were building a -9 without any internet, then the instructions in the plans are probably adequate for someone who has prior experience with building airplanes.

I certainly could not have completed my RV-9A without the benefit of many, many build logs and using good old Google searches and VAF.

The plans tell you what to do. They don't tell you what NOT to do, which is where you can learn from others experiences.

Please correct me if I am mistaken but I believe the -14 kits are not only match-drilled but they are drilled to final size.

Not all the holes in the -14 are punched final size. I would say most are, but not all...I've encountered a number of places on the wing kit where the instructions tell you to run a drill through to make them final size. However, the good news is that this can usually be done without having the parts matched up (cleco'd together) during the process. For example on the fuel tanks the skins have the holes for the ribs & stiffeners punched final size, but the ribs and stiffeners themselves need to be drilled final size. But you can run a #40 bit through each hole on the rib and stiffener parts pretty quickly.

A small # of the parts in the emp. and wing kits are parts common with the RV-10 for part commonality (reduced cost). These parts do not have the rivet holes punched final size, but as mentioned, do not require clecoing to mating parts for final drilling in assembly.

Having built a 7 and a 14 from standard kits, the 14 is an easier build because of the completeness of the kits and the thoroughness of the plans. Plus the exploded isometrics of the 14's plans help a bunch. And there is so much to be said for the matched hole vs. pre-punched.

This being said, in my opinion, it would take either airplane the same amount of time to build. The 7 is smaller and I'd say maybe a tad bit less complex. But the 14's parts fit so doggone well and most of them are fabricated for you.

As usual, the choice gets down to the mission. The 7 is a better sport flier. The 14 is better cross country.

Back