What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

XP-400 and FWF

Barneybc12d

Well Known Member
I am thinking of using a XP-400 in my 14A. Being a first time kit assembler and not experienced in fabrication, I would like to hear from builders who have used the FWF kit with this engine. Will using the XP-400 instead of the 390 be a major departure from just following the plans?

Have not used that engine/airframe but it shouldn't be. I'd reach out to Superior as the engine manufacturer should be able to tell you the differences between the xp-400 and the regular IO-390.

Also consider talking to Titan and see if they have an engine option for you, I'm really pleased with the IO-340 they built for me.

I am thinking of using a XP-400 in my 14A. Being a first time kit assembler and not experienced in fabrication, I would like to hear from builders who have used the FWF kit with this engine. Will using the XP-400 instead of the 390 be a major departure from just following the plans?

Any reasons for choosing the XP-400 vs the IO-390?

Any reasons for choosing the XP-400 vs the IO-390?

I don't have firsthand experience with either of these engines but did do some research at OSH last year. The most obvious differences is the 400 has an extra 5 hp (215 vs 210) and is a few pounds heavier (I think it was ~4 lbs). The 400 has a better sump for aerobatics, especially if you plan to set up for inverted fuel & oil. Barrett told me that replacement cylinders for the 400 are $2800 vs the Lyc cylinders for the 390 are $4800.

The IO-390 started out as an angle valve IO-360 that was bored to increase displacement. The 400 is a similar design but was both bored and stroked to get even more displacement. The external dimensions are very close, I don't think there will be any issues fitting the 400 into the cowl and the baffle kits should require only very minor modification.

Barrett also told me the 400 uses a different throttle body...I think the 390 uses the Precision Airmotive Silverhawk (Bendix clone) and the 400 is using an Airflow Performance throttle body but I'm not 100% certain. Bottom line is that there may be some modifications required to get the snorkel induction system to connect to the 400 and the throttle/mixture cables included in the FWF kit may or may not fit the 400.

Barrett told me that there was a customer in Texas who does transition training for RVs who was working on a -14 with an XP-400, but I didn't get his name.

One other thing, usually at SNF and OSH there's a special offered through Vans where you get a $1000 discount if you purchase a 390 and Hartzell together. At OSH last year someone (might have been Barrett or some other engine shop) was offering a similar package for the XP-400 and Whirlwind prop combination. So if you know which prop you want to use that might help decide which engine to go with...

On show discounts: All of the engine and prop vendors will be happy to talk to you about a discount or another if you buy your engine at the show (or close.) The Van's $1k is nice but it is not different from what you can get from any of the other guys.

On show discounts: ... The Van's $1k is nice but it is not different from what you can get from any of the other guys.

The $1K is a not a show special. It's available now. The show special plus the $1K discount at SNF brought the 390 down to $31,400. The regular price (current from Van's website) is $38,700 or $37,700 if you also buy a prop at the same time.

Aircraft Spruce is quoting 33,889 for the XP IO-400. Van's show specials on the 390 are worth waiting for. I ordered mine just before the show special pricing ended a few weeks ago.

Unless you have an urgent need to get an engine right now or really want the five extra horses you can just wait for the next offering. Plus, you know the FF kit should all fit perfectly.

Back