What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Documenting my build

i have a Mac and was looking for recommendations on documenting my build.. I understand Kitlog doesn't work with a mac. thanks

Dennis

There are many ways to accomplish what you want to do. Some use a website or blog. And yes, there is kitlog, which I don't know much about. If you want to publish it to the public then the website or blog may be what you need. For myself, I created an Excel spreadsheet file with columns for date, description of work done and time spent. Then I had a column('s) for photo references for that entry which were actually hyperlinks to the actual photo in a separate folder on my computer. Not really complicated once it's set up. For the Mac, I suspect the Numbers spreadsheet works the same way.
Many ways to skin the cat. (nothing against cats BTW).

Good luck
Sam

If you have a google account, then check out their blogger service. Its free and VERY easy to use.

Check out Day One journaling software. I record my progress real-time using voice recognition and pictures in daily journal entries on the iPhone. Exports include PDF files which I manipulate into a google site.

Avoiding typing makes this efficient although voice recog makes for some interesting entries.

Mr

Most any or all decent word processors, including Mac, have the ability to insert photographs. The photo's can be easily edited by adding circles or arrows to point out specific areas of the picture. Then, text, of course, adds to the explanation. Double weight, double sided matte photo paper is inexpensive and prints beautiful pages. A three inch binder completes the finished product. And of course, you have a backup on a thumb drive.

Do it here.

Too easy.

Start a blog here on VAF in the "My RV Build Project" section. Here are the instructions.

And here's an example: mine.

Using Firefox on my Mac, I save my blog as a PDF file. I can print the PDF any time since I update it with each posting. File, Print, PDF, and it's saved. Like I said, too easy.

Dave
Dues paid, of course - what a great resource!

Last edited:
That does look easy Dave, but what would you do if a moderator decided to lock or delete your entire log for some reason? You would have a PDF, of course so you wouldn't loose much, but how much continuity would you loose in the process? I'm just saying that with a VAF blog it seems you don't have ultimate control over the process from start to finish.

That does look easy Dave, but what would you do if a moderator decided to lock or delete your entire log for some reason? You would have a PDF, of course so you wouldn't loose much, but how much continuity would you loose in the process? I'm just saying that with a VAF blog it seems you don't have ultimate control over the process from start to finish.

Beats me - hasn't happened yet. I could always back-channel to a moderator and ask what's going on.

If it's deleted, well, I still have the PDF and can easily write more and save as a new PDF. Incidentally, each web page is saved as a new PDF, so that wouldn't be a burden.

There's perhaps more value for an RV-3 builder having a public blog than for one of the other aircraft, since the plans and kit are not as sophisticated and information sharing is so important.

Dave

Documenting my build

I would use Pages, allows you to start a table and insert photos into the cells of the tables, save often, print when you are done.

I have built and certified three experimental, the first build log was as documented as you could want, a 4" binder. The FAA inspectors just flipped the pages and glanced.

The second build had a lot less details, two pages of printed photos, and a lot of receipts (scratch plans built) the FAA inspectors didn't even glance, but they really studied the weight and balance.

The third build is a slow build RV7, again a couple of pages of small photos, a spreadsheet log, with loose details and Vans receipts and other receipts.
The DAR glanced at the build documents, he studied the Catto prop longer than he looked at the airplane because he couldn't figure out the serial number.

My experience is to build and document enough to prove what you did, building gets you flying quicker, but publish a technical document if you must.
Its a lot more fun to fly these airplanes, almost as much fun to build and they are so easy compared to scratch building.

When I started building I set up an excel spreadsheet like the one described above. After a while I realized I was spending construction time keeping up the spreadsheet. If your building nights and weekends as I did for the first three years you have very limited time and 15 min. At a computer is time for 8 or 10 more rivets. Went to Walmart purchased a year planner and kept a record of my work as I walked out of my shop when it was time to for into the house. Took less than a minute. I often took a photo to two at that time. In the end my DAR was happy with my five year planners as was the FAA. My system did not keep a record of the total hours or rivets driven but let me have slightly more build time each work session.

Don't get me wrong I truly admire the folks that post their work. It is a great source of information and I doubt I would have finished my 9A as successfully without their contributions

Log Book

Thanks again, this is why I'm building an RV, great support, many great people willing to help.

As with choosing which plane to build in the first place, what's your mission for the documentation? Do you just want to satisfy the requirement, or is it something you want to look back on years later? I created a Wordpress website, not that difficult and post entries there. I do take a lot of pictures of the progress and the majority of them do not make it to the website, especially the majority of my mistakes. I didn't update the blog daily, but it has more important parts of the process.

Having just completed my airworthiness certification and my repairman's certificate, my DAR didn't look at my website. I do use a Mac for everything and had my IPad with all the pictures I have taken, which he scrolled through. The big thing I did was check every step as it was done in the instruction manual and after each page was completed, I dated and signed it (initials). Then when I completed each section, I dated and signed the first page of the section. That also helped to make sure I didn't miss any steps. When I went to get the R.C. at my local FSDO, they also wanted to see my checklist for my annual. "My annual? I have 4 hours right now." I wasn't aware of that, but they want to make sure you have read what is required and that you are comfortable in your ability to complete everything on the checklist. They printed out a standard one from the FAA and there isn't anything difficult on that list and that sufficed.

The DAR is going to be looking at what the FAA says is a potential danger based on recent crashes. Of course make sure all your jam nuts are tight and torque sealed. He basically checked all the control surfaces and that's really all he cared about. Of course this was what my DAR was interested in and your results may vary. He told me I've spent 2 ½ years building this thing, I shouldn't expect him to find any issues in ½ hour. At least ½ the time is spent filling out paperwork. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Please consider any of the methods that put your work online for others to see. I know that I have read probably all of the RV14 builds online and refer to them often when I get to a new section as it really does help the new builders even if you are a new builder too. I am new but I know others read my Kitlog and I hope I am helping the next guy.

I started out by writing a blog on Google Blogger. That got tiring after a while, so for the past 2 years I've been taking pictures with my phone and uploading them to my Picasa Web album with the Picasa Tool app. I love it because I can type a quick caption when I upload each picture. The problem is, Google is killing Picasa, so now I'm trying to find a new alternative. I'm leaning toward Flickr. Eventually I will make a picture book using Snapfish. A buddy who built a Panther used Snapfish to make a coffee table book from his builders log pictures and it was really cool.

In the vein of a picture is worth 1000 words, I decided to simply set up an online gallery as my build log. I pay $60 a year for a SmugMug pro account. I have my own internet domain tied to the account, so as long as that is mine, the links won't change. Definitely worth the small amount per year to store unlimited numbers of photos and videos, both publically and privately.

I take pictures, upload them to my MacBook in iPhoto, then over to my SmugMug site. Drag and drop is all it takes. Once the photos are online, you can add captions that explain what the heck you are doing in the photo.

When I went to the FSDO to apply for the repairman certificate, I just showed them the photos I had on my laptop. Didn't even show them the website (no wifi!). They looked at them for about 5 seconds and said OK, looks like you built it! No need to really over document this just for the FAA. I also marked off every paragraph on the build instructions as I went and dated them as a more complete "log" of build activity. Having a nice build log online is very useful when something comes up here on VAF and you want to recall how you did something or other. I refer back to my photos all of the time and share them here when applicable.

Luddite

I have been highlighting the steps in the plan book as I complete them, along with recording daily hours worked (for me and for helper when required) somewhere in that section. My only computer file is a folder of pictures showing the completed work of the section.

If I ever get to the finishing stage I may just put in traditional instruments just to be different:)

The Tundra we just finished had been in work for nearly a decade by our partner. As we were getting ready for inspection, he spent hours going back and finding old photos, annotating the plans book from his random notes as to when things were done, and pulling this all together in a nice package. On inspection day, he moved his big screen computer to the hangar so he could show off the log.

Sure enough....the FSDO guys never asked to see it, and issued me the Repairman's Certificate on the spot. They might have looked at the magazine before they came, so felt they didn't need to.....your mileage may vary of course! :)

Bottom line - make a good internet presence when you build, and it will be easy to show that you were the builder.

Facebook

Just creat a Facebook page with your N-Number and log everything there including pictures, FREE. Facebook isn't going anywhere.

Back