What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broken Drill Bit

galt1074

This is a new one on me...

I am drilling the elevator counterweights. I started with a 1/8" titanium coated drill bit and the right side went fine. Well, I learned a little about drilling in lead (the #21 bit sure did want to grab), but I got the holes drilled and everything looks fine.
I started to drill the left side and about half-way in my 1/8" drill bit broke. There was a little sticking up so I grabbed some pliers and started to twist it back out so I could start again with a new bit. Well, it broke and now there is a piece of drill bit stuck about a 1/2" down in the hole.

Does anyone know how I can overcome this issue? I can't really drill that hole until I get that piece of bit out.

I'll post pictures as soon as I read up on how to...haven't tried yet.

Greg

Picture of broken drill bit

i1yrydaVvH2rvvvuNR-f-E_wFYPn-3ZUdCJEhMqC-tjhwDtBEIPu0KAqigQrWRaBtlMWiXGlqtnvTpiwzgrlJw8Zk8OFBfQ3HZ30O1B30ZAOMD8zHs47nuhEj1nWB0FTAty7yDpSf33rtw15tQj_EvDV1GBv2YKCgKvKvO_283_6iRAV0nnkZh_vmwdTpNLVYdxNHr8hPNuuZjplgu2PCjg4wM-E42ccR5at3GvwjKfgSln_Osz5J6LtVCkFyM_2-XoVYxgA1LAw5zCsNsz5Ll2oeaW5I3SYWV94_m4WV4Eyvk8eVuE7j74VncjFGTJBW4by_02P5LGFkOMOxIkyA_bh8ylZ-GbgFvgMUOJlQL9sWsGDnCImBTB0mYT7v9839-y0dwKME9Yy_WqB1hN9BCDVyjgvfkNz7kCypVenmWgof9SlqubNvRss_3VoMmt-YpYgowViW_6QjiEec1mfH7t7lbv7c07EBS_gZgfuQMvjWinuoRT2grCMx1OZXh574jxg7k78KIPMOQnWLI4dUkSRcnIsCjJACYOyBI91PeTqgrd_IVskryYV1tOKWTEbfvm1zRqtOrvP8DfD2usqOfSe6a67Uj9P8WyBzIRCGhVnBKYsPgk8F8w6F-HnGCLylr0Q9E_R6UU7Im6T3_eMADzK=w900-h542-no

Last edited:
You might try using a small prick punch to break up the remnant of the drill bit. When I drill soft materials like brass, I always round off the corners of the drill bit with a stone. That keeps it from grabbing. Sorry. You may have to abandon that hole and drill another one.

Broken tap tool?

I?ve used a tap removal tool to deal with the same issue. It mangled the tool but the bit came out. It worked best to get to to turn forward before pulling it back. Lube helped.

To imitate a meme I've seen:

Make a clay or wet sand mold of the weight.

Melt the weight in small pan on kitchen stove. Skim off drill bit pieces.

Re-cast weight.

Hide the pan from wife - it may never be the same.

? ? Profit :D

I did the same thing, heat up the broken drill bit with a little gas burner (butane soldering iron without the soldering tip fitted is what I used) and as soon as the lead starts to melt locally, pull the drill bit out with a pair of pliers. Then you can just fill the hole with some lead using the same method.. I hope that makes sense!

I assume this is the formed counterweight for the LE of the elevator. If the hole was not existing and the entire hole was to be drilled, then it is assumed you have no access from the exit end. If this is the case I would back drill a #30 hole to the broken bit aligning as careful as possible to to meet the tip. Then take a pin punch and tap out the stuck bit. If it is not moving up to the limit of hammer and punch, then enlarge and use a larger punch until success is achieved.

When drilling use a slow speed, very light pressure to keep the bit from grabbing and generous lube. If it gets warm, cool the bit. It may take a lot of drill-retract-clearing-of-the-flute cycles to get it done.

What happens is: the flutes get filled with swarf and creates high smearing friction with the wall of the advancing hole. Don't let it do that.

Awesome idea!!

Make a clay or wet sand mold of the weight.

Melt the weight in small pan on kitchen stove. Skim off drill bit pieces.

Re-cast weight.

Hide the pan from wife - it may never be the same.

? ? Profit :D

I read this about three times and laughed my butt off each time. My wife didn't think it was so funny. I know I'm in the right group!

Greg

Back