What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Notification 17-12-08

tomkk

Well Known Member
"Synopsis: A new canopy handle designed for the RV-12iS fuselage is now available for retrofit into older RV-12 aircraft or kits shipped prior to January 2018."

Is there any particular reason to retrofit the older style canopy latch? It seems odd to offer it as a retrofit unless it's intended to correct a problem or offer an improvement of some sort but but it's not clear from the Notification what that is.

Tom

You will want to add a positive stop to prevent the canopy from lifting when in partially open position such as taxiing on a hot day with a trailing wind.

See… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IliX5VGOV_Q&feature=youtu.be

That said, a simple tang is available from Vans or you can make one yourself – that’s what I did. I also use a bungee cord strapped from the seatback support angle straight up to the handle for extra assurance. The only downside is the tab on the handle has to rest on top of the rollover frame in the semi-open position and it will scratch the paint for sure. I added a small strip of Teflon tape to the top of the rollover to protect finish.
-
2mqqftk.png

-

The new RV-12iS handle kit has a cam track design so the handle does not rest on top of the rollover frame, so no scratched paint. Perhaps it even holds the canopy open a little more – not sure.

Thanks. I was aware positive latch lock to prevent blowing opening but that isn't part of the new Notification 17-12-08. The new notification assumes the Canopy Catch Option (NOTIFICATION 16-10-3) has already been installed. I'm always inclined to install improvements when available but still not really sure what improvement the new design has that would warrant this retrofit.

Thanks. I was aware positive latch lock to prevent blowing opening but that isn't part of the new Notification 17-12-08. The new notification assumes the Canopy Catch Option (NOTIFICATION 16-10-3) has already been installed. I'm always inclined to install improvements when available but still not really sure what improvement the new design has that would warrant this retrofit.

I think the assumed part means in the context of the instructions that are part of the Notification, not that it is a requirement.

The new handle doesn't do anything that the old handle with the safety catch doesn't do, but it does it better without the likelihood of paint damage over time, etc,.

It also can be a bit easier to latch / unlatch depending the fit and adjustment someone had on their original latch.

Canopy latch retro fit

Installed the new canopy latch and can confirm that it does work a bit smoother and easier than the old set-up plus the safety catch is a more robust design; the old safety catch seems trivial in comparison. The canopy handle rests on UHMW plastic when in the taxi position instead of on the metal rollbar.

i-fNMdkMJ-L.jpg

i-phdgq9B-L.jpg

The UHMW latch block is also different, a protrusion on the handle slides around the back of the latch block and into a detent when latched. Works nice. The provided latch handle is bare steel and not powder coated like the old handle. It will need to be painted.
i-SG955m2-L.jpg

The outside handle is the same as before but a new one is furnished since you have to match drill a new hole in the inside handle tube and the operation will ruin the threads in your old handle if the install is a retro fit. It is aluminum and as before needs to be shaped and painted if so desired.

i-HKkhwJ8-L.jpg

The retro fit kit comes with a small assortment of washers, shims, and bushings to compensate for variations in the original canopy installation.

The retro fit kit is rather expensive, runs about $90 and like Scott says doesn't do anything more than the old handle and safety catch, just does it better.

Last edited:
Just a small suggestion? add a small (3/16 x 1/4L) neodymium magnet to hold the handle in the open position. The handle sometimes turns slightly and prevents opening the canopy from the outside.
-
2w7mpdv.png

Just a small suggestion? add a small (3/16 x 1/4L) neodymium magnet to hold the handle in the open position. The handle sometimes turns slightly and prevents opening the canopy from the outside.
Now, there's a slick idea. Thanks!

Just a small suggestion? add a small (3/16 x 1/4L) neodymium magnet to hold the handle in the open position. The handle sometimes turns slightly and prevents opening the canopy from the outside.-

The construction manual specifies to slightly squeeze the tube portion of the manual in a vise to make it slightly out of round. Just enough that it induces a small amount of rotational resistance, so that it will stay in what ever position you place it in.
The magnet would also work though.

Effect on ADHRS? I recall that the plans suggest squeezing the canopy handle mounting tube a bit to keep the handle from flopping around. I added an O-ring or two as well to increase turning friction and provide some weather-proofing.

Back