What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions about fitting cowl

rph142

Well Known Member
So I just hung my engine which means its time to fit the cowl. The engine came with baffling that fit a One Design cowling, but doesn?t fit the 3 cowl. I am in the process of trimming the baffling to fit. In order to properly fit the cowl I figure I will need to have the spinner back plate installed. My question is what size prop spacer will I need? How do I determine what size is required? My prop bolts are 7/16" while my engine lugs are 3/8".

Also, I noticed that the oil fill dipstick seems to be hitting the cowl. After looking at pics of other peoples engines it looks like my dipstick tube is longer than most. Could someone with a fitted cowl let me know how long their dipstick tube is?

Thanks,
Rob

Rob,
The cowl is set up for a 2.25" spacer, I got mine from Sabre Mfg. Great to deal with. He recommended and supplied one set of bolts that hold the spacer to the engine and another for the prop to spacer, he supplied the entire package. I used the spinner backplate to set the cowl space, some make wood discs.
If you use the actual backplate use a center disc to take the cup/curve out of the backplate as the distance will change when you install the prop.

I needed to change my filler tube too. I removed mine initially to fit the cowl. Some cut/reweld or splice the tube, I traded mine for a shorter one with an engine shop. I can get a length for you in a few days if no one answers sooner.
Mike

It was amazingly good luck that the outer diameter of the oil filler tube was the same as the inside diameter of the elevator push tube. I cut the oil tube in half and shortened the amount needed. Then I slid the cut ends into a 3 inch section of the push tube stock that was smeared with proseal. Finally, I set a few pulled rivets around it to keep it together. It sounds a little kludgy, but actually looked pretty good and was stronger than the original plastic tube.

Ill guess I'll take to filler tube off while I fit the cowl. I just saw the price for the prop extension...about $500 ouch! Something tells me fitting the cowl is going to be a huge pain.

Rob, we had the same problem...

...with the -4 cowling and asked on here to swap filler tubes and we did...even, with a guy who wanted a longer one for his -9. Easy to shorten, tho...because they're rather pricey new....and the dipstick has to be shortened an equal amount.

Take your time after you mount the spinner backplate and cleco a couple of aluminum angles to the top cowl, facing forward, that lie on top of the backplate and support the top cowl....go from there.

Best,

Back