What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help with GARMIN GTR 200 Problem

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I?m trying to help a friend with a recent GARMIN GTR 200 problem. Radio is in a new Synergy built RV-12 with 100TT. Plane has dual Dynon HDX. Radio was working well until 10 hours ago.

Problem? When pilot speaks to Tx on the comm he can only hear his own voice in the headset for first few seconds and then his voice trails off.

? Co-pilot can hear pilot?s entire transmission with no problem
? Other planes report Tx loud & clear
? Both seats using LightSpeed Zulu 3
? Intercom works correctly with good volume and squelch
? Co-pilot can Tx and voice doesn?t trail off
? We have switched headsets L-R and still have problem
? We have contacted Garmin ? no help
? We have adjusted mic gain and sidetone
? Audio level for comm and intercom are well matched
? Pilot?s PTT works OK
? Pilot side headset jacks are OK

Basically, everything works well with exception that pilot?s voice trails off in his own headset when he transmits.

Any help appreciated?

Jim,

Just for kicks ... have your friend remove the radio and reinsert it a couple of times (with master switch off of course).

My first thought was a possible a power drop on Pin 1 going into the radio ... but then you mentioned transmissions sound OK. Plus, if the co-pilot can key the transmitter and hear his/her voice OK ... the issue is not likely to be a large voltage drop on Pin 1 when the GTR 200 transmits. (Although, for trouble shooting, it may not be a bad idea to verify the voltage on Pin 1 and while the hood is open, also verify there is a very low resistance from Pin 20 to the battery ground).

Honestly, I can't think of anything in the settings that would cause the issue your friend is experiencing. I do see where the sidetone volume can be linked with intercom volume ... perhaps, temporarily turning off the intercom and do a test and then turn the intercom back on???

Just an update on this... The radio was removed from the tray and re-seated.

Works perfectly now.

Thanks...

Back