What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E5 High Voltage Cable Tester

777drvr

Well Known Member
Hi Guys ,

Sorry for the double post ! Tried Traditional Engines . Not as much traffic there .

I was considering buying one of these units to check the health of my spark plug leads .

Does anyone have any experience with this ?

The instructions aren't completely clear to me about it's use . Do you hook up the high voltage line to the spring that contacts the sparkplug ?

Thanks,
Marc

If no one has used this unit , how would I go about checking my ignition leads ?

Thanks,
Marc

Hi Marc,
If you had a bad lead you'd have a bad mag drop/miss hot and cold (usually!)...essentially a cold plug/cold cylinder...running on 3 cylinders.
Start it on the bad mag, let it run a few minutes, the dead cylinder will be cooler/colder than the rest. This plug might show signs of running rich,misfiring.
A new harness is probably cheaper than the tester. If you had a good used harness you could install it along side the existing one temporarily to trouble shoot.
FWIW...a bad mag drop when cold could also be a fouled plug...leaning could clear it.
Mag drop when hot only could be a mag coil breaking down...not uncommon with age and our tightly cowled RVs
just my 0.02
Mike

tester?

Marc,
I bought one some years ago....(6)
I used it one time and if memory serves me well, I thought it was just a continuity tester! It did have a different kind of display, but I don't remember it showing the quality of the lead, good-better-best.....just whether it worked or not. I might be wrong, but that is what I remember.

Thanks Guys !

Over the last couple of hours I went and picked up the tester and talked to the manufacturer as well . Very simple to use . Just follow the instructions . What do you know !!
It wasn't that expensive and I like tools anyway .

Mike,

Thanks for the walk through . I may have found a smoking gun . All my plugs except one show high resistance .

1T 5.1 Kohms
1B 9.3

2T 9.1
2B 29.3 !

3T 1.1
3B 4.4

4T 9.4
4B 6.4

Info I found on the interweb says that normal is .8 to 1.2 Kohms and replace at 5 .

I'll be putting in a new set of plugs and crossing my fingers !

Marc

Back