What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Man, A Violin and an Airplane

rv7boy

Forum Peruser
In the May, 2010 issue of FLYING (c) magazine, Lane Wallace devotes a whole article to one of our own. Jeremy Constant not only built and flies an RV-7A, he is also an assistant concertmaster with the San Francisco Symphony. How many people do you know who own an RV-7A and a Stradivarius violin?

This is the second month in a row that Lane Wallace has devoted considerable writing to the activities of some of the members of the EAA chapter 663 at Livermore. It's a good article and it describes the challenges and joys of building and flying an RV as well as the path Jeremy took to become a professional musician.

Last month she wrote about Bruce Cruikshank who flies an RV-9A after losing his legs in Viet Nam. Maybe some of you guys should introduce Lane to the world of RV's...

Way to go, Jeremy!

Last edited:
Maybe some of you guys should introduce Lane to the world of RV's...

Lane has already been introduced to the wonderful world of RV's. She has a friend (name is Jeff, I think) with a yellow 6A that she has flown and written about in one of her articles, and she did the Van's tour a couple of years ago (and wrote an article about it, too).

I think we need to make Lane an honorary RV'er, and start inviting her to LOE and Van's Homecoming. I also think our Fearless Leader and Bax Seat Award winner (DR) should have the honor of doing the inviting.

Make it happen, Doug! (And if you do make it happen, I'll donate a VAF hat and fleece for her. :D )

I had the privilege to meet Jeremy last weekend at the Calaveras Airfaire. We were very happy be his first flight away from Livermore. He built a beautiful RV-7A, and I am sure that many of us watched the "first flight" video he posted last week.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=57056
He chose a moving piece of music to accompany his video, and if you have not watched it yet, turn your speakers up and enjoy!

Your okay in my book

Kelly,

If you got a Strat for an axe your okay in my book. The 9A thing is definitely okay. Of course that violin thing that started the post is alright with me as well. I gave my copy to a co-worker to read the article. Nice human/airplane interest article. Lane might be an RV'er hiding in a closet. We need to get her out in the open.

I just finished reading the article here at lunchtime - very nice piece, and a great VAF hat sighting. It's interesting that Lane almost implied that VAF hats are normal and familiar in the aviation world these days...sort of lend credibility to the whole RV "movement"!

Hope to meet you some day Jeremy!

Paul (with a Bach Strad trumpet somewhere in the closet....)

Kelly,

If you got a Strat for an axe your okay in my book. The 9A thing is definitely okay. Of course that violin thing that started the post is alright with me as well. I gave my copy to a co-worker to read the article. Nice human/airplane interest article. Lane might be an RV'er hiding in a closet. We need to get her out in the open.

Kenny G (sax player) built a Glasair about 20 years ago.

Wow!

I logged on to VAF at lunch between rehearsals and I see this thread title and honest to God I thought ?gee, there's another violinist on VAF? I wonder if I know them...?:eek:

DUH!

Thanks Don! I was tickled at the prominence of VAF as the ?strong start? of the article, complete with web address. GO VAF!!! However, I think you made a slight erroneous assumption...unless I win the lottery there's NO WAY I could afford to own a Stradivarius! The instrument was donated to the San Francisco Symphony for my exclusive use, for as long as I'm a member of the orchestra. They own it, I play it. Works for me:D

I didn't realize that the article was out yet. We did the interview a couple of months ago and Lane posted a version and audio portion on her Blog:

http://www.nomapnoguidenolimits.com...ic-and-flight-interview-with-jeremy-constant/

It's always a bit unclear how (or if) an interview will play out and I didn't really know what Lane's plans were regarding using it for Flying Magazine. With the wonderful article she did about our annual dinner (and those other people's little get together in Hollywood) and the much deserved focus on Bruce Cruikshank, who really is a remarkable guy and hero to many of us at Livermore, I thought that it might be put away for at least a little while. Lane Wallace is the only reason I read Flying Magazine. I'm a huge fan and it was an incredible treat to have her write something about me! I have already thanked her profusely for not portraying me too accurately:D

Mark, it really was a treat to fly the 7A to Calaveras Airfaire as the first landing away from Livermore in the plane and it was a pleasure to meet you. It was a really fun event, and I got to show the plane off to a young family with 5 kids and a 6th on the way! Had each of them sit in the pilot seat and get pictures. I'm looking forward to learning how to do a good Young Eagles flight once I'm out of Phase 1.

Hey Paul, I played a Bach Strad trumpet in high school--no strings at my school! I hope to meet you and Louise too...I have a half-baked idea about airborne museum style MP3/GPS self guided audio tours about the geology we see from RVs...you know..."when you reach waypoint 1 press track 1" and track 1 is a description of what you're looking at :rolleyes:

Now, I'm going to run as fast as I can away from the whole Kenny G. discussion:eek:

Jeremy
RV7A

Doesn't matter if you own it or not

Jeremy,

Doesn't matter if you own it or not. The fact that you get to play it reflects that you are a talented individual. Rare instruments like that one don't fall into the hands of an average layman.

Agreed - Nice article!

I hope to meet you and Louise too...I have a half-baked idea about airborne museum style MP3/GPS self guided audio tours about the geology we see from RVs...you know..."when you reach waypoint 1 press track 1" and track 1 is a description of what you're looking at :rolleyes:

You know, I've thought about something like that.....an aerial "Earthcache" (http://www.earthcache.org/). Somehow, it is easier to be inspired out in the West than here in the flatlands :(

Enjoy your -7A!

Wow, you've just completely ruined my unblimished streak of having nothing positive to say about Kenny G. :rolleyes:

Wow, I don't get it. What so wrong with Kenny G. I have always liked his sax work but I am no expert nor a BIG fan. Just liked his playing fine ?????

I like many types of Music, Jazz (modern fusion and other types) Bluegrass, Older Rock, Sothern Rock, etc. I also like some but not a lot of Clasical.

I can appreciate the required talent for just about any music type except rap Hip Hop, heavy metal etc. and some other relatively modern types that I have a hard time calling music.

You'd think that someone who scratches on an old piece of spruce for a living would go for a Falco, Emeraude, or at least a Boredom Fighter.

Jeremy,

Doesn't matter if you own it or not. The fact that you get to play it reflects that you are a talented individual. Rare instruments like that one don't fall into the hands of an average layman.

Jeremy, I agree with Mike ("Fearless")...you must be special if you have exclusive use of a Stradivarius. Pretty amazing to me to correspond with someone who has actually played a Stradivarius. [Edit: I think I'm so in awe of the Stradivarius because my parents even though they were not musicians instilled in me an appreciation of how rare and valuable a Stradivarius violin is.]

As to the Kenny G. thing, I told myself I would stay away from that discussion. I played alto then tenor and baritone saxophone in our school bands. In recent years I have toyed with the idea of renting a soprano saxophone just to complete the foursome. If you mention Kenny G. to my wife, she will go into hysterics, mainly because of his repetitive staccato runs in some of his songs. Drives her up the wall. I think I read that he flies a seaplane of some kind.

I have vectored this thread off-topic...

I thought Lane Wallace did a great job mentioning Doug's web site up front as well as the VAF. Again, way to go, Jeremy. Hoping to meet you someday after I get my -7 finished and start the travels.

Last edited:
Louise - thanks for the earthcache.org link. I didn't know about these things. Sounds fun.
Don - Yup, just highly reflective, pastey-white skin. Yuck. Actually, it was shot with a cheapy point and shoot, low-light and quick. Those Carnegie Hall guys are VERY protective about their hall!

Dave (aerhed) I'm very lucky Van makes his kits as well as he does. This stretched me about as far as I could go. I know that the Falco, for example, would take me WAY beyond my abilities. We have a guy at Livermore named Doug Henson who won Grand Champion at Osh a few years ago with a Falco. I wish I could have watched him work, but then MY airplane STILL wouldn't be done! Then again, on some of my more frustrating days with the Strad, it would be devilishly gratifying to make some spruce sawdust...:rolleyes::D It's like the old musicians' joke: "what's the difference betwee a violin and a viola? The viola burns longer.":eek: Some days, you just want to junk it, just like building a plane...

On the really frustrating days, or when the strad is in the shop, I go back to the violin I own, and love it. It's much easier to play, very consistent and has a cool history. Any of you folks watch NCIS?...there's a connection! I guess it's like flying someone else's plane for a living and then getting back into your own plane...sure the boss's plane is great, but there's always something about YOURs that is like coming home...

Still staying away from the Kenny G discussion:D

Jeremy
RV7A

JJ, does the strad ever get "tweaked"? I mean beyond bridge & strings? Do you have a use for some really long tail hair form an Arab mare? It's primo.

photo credits

I just realized that my good friend Ray McCrea didn't get a photo credit in Flying:eek: I feel awful...

Ray built and flys a beautiful Lindy winning yellow Long EZ and is a rabbid/avid photographer and videographer. You can see some of his work at his links here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmccreajr
http://raymccrea.com/
http://www.vimeo.com/user2796383

He has flown his Long EZ to 26 different countries, although I continuously rib him about not having actually landed in Canada, even though it's one of his "flown to" flags on his plane! His photo is the left hand "airplane" photo in the mag, and was also the chase plane videographer for the first flight video that I posted. He does great air to air photos and usually sit's backwards in Bruce Cruickshank's RV 4 "Cover Girl" to get his shots. Cover Girl got her name after adorning the front cover of Sport Aviation a few years back.

Dave- the most common "tweaks" on the fiddles are strings, then sound post, then bridge. Strings get changed, depending on the kind you use, anywhere from every week for the REALLY ANAL:D to every year for those of us who are lazy and simply blame ourselves if we are up to 11 on the suckometer! Some instruments go out of adjustment when a cloud passes over the sun, and others are really stable. That's one of the things I love about the violin I own...stable, and am frustrated with the Strad...UNSTABLE! Touring is an...ahem...adventure. When they get adjusted, it's usually relocating the sound post, by matters of 1000ths of an inch! Each instrument is different and depending on the weather, the adjustments are never the same! Needless to say, adjusting is something that can become an OCD's worst nightmare:eek:

The bows get rehaired every 6 months or so. We take it to the shop, they do it. I don't know their source for hair, but sometimes they get a good batch, sometimes not so good, so you go to another shop with a different batch and get it redone.

To keep this all RV related, it's like the transition from builder to flyer to maintainer. With the violin, it's just the first part that's missing and there are some that build them, play them and maintain them just like us

Jeremy
RV7A

Jeremy, very cool to talk with someone who works with the real deal and knows sound. I'm just a fret smasher, but living on the moon here I've had to learn my own setup work. I have hand-built guitars that are nice, but my go-to machine is a beater tele style that's a rock. Same as planes, desireability doesn't equal utility.

different strokes...

...I can appreciate the required talent for just about any music type except rap Hip Hop, heavy metal etc. and some other relatively modern types that I have a hard time calling music.

One of the more bizarre but fun sets of concerts we did was with Metallica and got turned into a complete concert video called S & M. No, no, no...
Symphony & Metallica. Geez, you guys oughtta be ashamed:D

You think some of us have electronic goo-gaws in our planes? You should see their stuff. There was one semi strictly devoted to providing enough electricity to power lights, amps, and probably defibrilators! As loud as the RV is, those Metallica concerts were the loudest thing I've ever been around. Including watching the B1 takeoff at Edwards! They actually got the hall we were playing in to distort, although it was probably just our ears distorting!

I had special earplugs made by an audiologist, but they're hard plastic and we had to wear headsets for the concerts, so the plastic simply conducted the sound directly to the eardrum:eek: Back to the good ol' yellow foam.

All that being said, Metallica was REALLY GOOD at what they do and it most definitely has the same requirements at getting that good at anything. I don't choose to listen to much of their stuff (some of it I do listen to) but don't short-change it! You also have to give them credit for taking a flying leap of faith to instigate a project like this with their own music. Now hip-hop doesn't do much for me, but I know they're good at what they do too. I remember a Ray Charles quote when he was asked if he liked Rap. "Anything that gets the kids dancing is alright with me, but for me, I like a little more MUSIC in my music."

Thank goodness there's room for lots of different musical tastes...otherwise, how would I fund the RV?:p

Jeremy

Ken Scott and The Violinist

I, too, will avoid the Kenny G issue. When it comes to music, I am only qualified to turn on the stereo. My folks tried forcing me to take piano lessons when I was a kid, but the teacher lost me when she told me "Every Good Boy Does Fine" and I knew better. End of lesson. ;)

I'll redirect this thread a little bit back on track by offering that there's another RV connection with violins. Ken Scott's wife is often referred to in his articles in The RVator as "The Violinist". He once shared how much he paid for a new bow for her, and I was astonished. I think I'll stick with just playing the spoons. :D

L Then again, on some of my more frustrating days with the Strad, it would be devilishly gratifying to make some spruce sawdust...:rolleyes::D It's like the old musicians' joke: "what's the difference betwee a violin and a viola? The viola burns longer.":eek: Some days, you just want to junk it, just like building a plane...
Jeremy
RV7A

Why am I flashing back to the scene in "Animal House" with John Belushi and the guitar?? That was just too funny!
Way back in the day, there were times that I wanted to turn my tuba into so many ash trays!:mad:
Blue Skies.....

I've always liked Kenny G. myself. He inspired me to learn the sax many years ago. Love that soprano.

Knew someone

I had a friend once who played timpani with San Francisco. His name was Barrry Jakowski. We played in a concert band in Aspen in the Summer of 1971.

Barry

was an absolutely fantastic timpani player. Unfortunately, he went over to the dark side...
...and became a conductor:eek:

Actually he founded California Symphony based in Walnut Creek and was conducting Reno for a while. I'm not sure what he's doing now...but I don't think he flys (obligatory RV content:D)

Anybody know what Ken Scott's wife's name is? Classical music can be a small world...

Jeremy

Wow!

Hey Paul, ..(snip).. I hope to meet you and Louise too...I have a half-baked idea about airborne museum style MP3/GPS self guided audio tours about the geology we see from RVs...you know..."when you reach waypoint 1 press track 1" and track 1 is a description of what you're looking at

Jeremy
RV7A

Ferde Grofe would love this idea!!! Especially given the recent visit Louise made, and Paul's weather-necessitated scrub of same.

Yeah, but

in Ferde Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite, he's traveling by mule! I don't think he had to deal with all the restricted airspace:p

Jeremy

JJ - Wondered when 'they' would get mentioned !

My son is half way through his Masters at Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester UK and yes, he is a waver :p

Started as grade 8 bass baritone and church organ and got into the control and domination department when he was about 17 ( 23 now and looking for first placement if you are short :rolleyes: ).

Tried to get him into airplanes but the music just grabbed him. I fly A330 longhaul to help pay his bills and my Bro and I are nearly finished on a 7. Closest layovers we get to you are Las Vegas and Vancouver. Maybe see you at a West Coast fly in someday.

Mike

Vancouver

I've got family in Vancouver and I'm looking forward to flying there in the RV.
So sorry your son went to the dark side too:D Hmmm...control and domination department...sounds kinky, but then again waving your arms around in front of a concert hall full of people might be considered by some to be rather...

I feel like Doug should really offer formal VAF attire, or simply do a large VAF logo in stick on patches that could be put on the back of a conductor's tails. After all, 3000 people a night stare blankly at this unused advertising space for 2 hours, 4 nights a week!

I hope to meet you someday!

Jeremy

Small World/Good Music!

What an interesting thread, at least to this obsessed sax player and flier.

I'm about to get a -4 back in the air after a prolonged "rebuild".... prolonged because I cant seem to put my horn down.

And oh, Mr. Gorelick. The enigma. Here's a fun read that starts to parallel my thoughts:

http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

And now, an important message for all you local Dallas/Fort Worth guys who might be interested in good music:

I'm playing alto in a reading band- lots of good jazz players- with Rick Stitzel, at the TCC South Campus. This Saturday we're working with Texas Wesleyan?s jazz festival and featured guest artist, Tom "Bones' Malone.
http://www.jazzmasters.nl/malone_tom.htm

Bones is best known as an original member of the Saturday Night band and the Blues Brothers.

It's Free:

Texas Wesleyan, this Saturday, May 8. The program starts at 7:30. Our portion will probably begin sometime between 8 and 8:30.

http://www.txwes.edu/

(for this post):

Bryan "Pounder" Pender
RV-4 in rework
Stinson Gullwing
Alto: 1968 Selmer Mk VI (Beason built) Owned and operated 38 years
Tenor: 1970'ish Super 20 (Beason built) Operating since 1976

Kenny G as tail wheel/nose dragger debate

Very entertaining read. Just as with our own never-ending debates section, musical taste really get some folks dander up. I do particularly like the comparison of over-dubbing a live performer on a dead performer's recording being akin to necrophelia! It does take some amazing chutzpah, but when there's money to be made, the owners of the rights will usually justify it with declaring that they're making the recording relevant to a whole new generation. And guess what...they are.:)

Remember the reactions when Bob Dylan picked up an electric guitar? Even in Mozart's time, there were "Operas" and there were cheap low-brow entertainments. Remember the movie Amadeus? Mozart's Magic Flute had to be performed in a theater specializeing in the low-brow stuff!

Here's the deal from my perspective: chances are, there are more people with no use for classical music of any kind then there are people with no use for Kenny G. I'm grateful to be able to make a living as a musician. Ultimately when we talk of financial success in the arts, all we are saying is that there is an audience willing to pay to hear what we are doing. Thank God. The mistake is confusing financial success with artistic merit. NOBODY will universally agree on artistic merit. Nor with they agree that a tail wheel aircraft is one with a built in design flaw that's been fixed for over 60 years:eek: (that's the sound of me running like h**l:D) but you get my point!

For Kenny G. he has found an audience and his music fills their need. How great is it that their need can be filled with music! For me, I don't have that particular flavor of need. If it makes people feel less angry, look at him as merely an entertainer. That's really all any of us are, but somehow that defuses the passions about the particulars of style, technique and merit. Don't get me wrong...there are definitely folks who are better at what they do and folks that aren't as good. It's just that, and here's the weird part and my own personal observation, sucking at something has never been a guaranteed disqualifier for success! There's hope yet...

Ah, taste and the never-ending debates....

Pounder: have big fun on the 8th!

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I'm reading this thread with great interest because my son Daniel is an aspiring musician. He's currently in his third year of college in Ashland, Oregon at S.O.U. studying classical piano under Dr. Alexander Tutunov. He's an exceptionally gifted concert pianist. But he's also a clarinetist with the Rogue Valley Symphony Orchestra. He was recently in San Francisco with a group from his school and attended some events there (one of your concerts, perhaps?).

He has been my best riveting partner and helper with my RV-7A. He loves it and he has helped me all throughout this project. I take advantage of his help when he's home from college and I need another pair of hands. I hope you get to meet him sometime! (and me, too!)

Does Doug know?

I noticed the article today at breakfast and it brought a smile to my face. I wondered if Doug had seen it yet, so this evening I searched the site. Instead of finding the expected front-page post, I found this great thread.

Surely Doug knows about Lane's article, right? Doug?

Although this thread has died down somewhat, I'm resurrecting it because I just found the Flying magazing article. It had apparently fallen onto the floor of my truck and had slid under the seat.

I enjoyed the article AND the audio interview, Jeremy. I read Lane's articles every month, and was pleased to hear her voice. Nice voice.

Jeremy, here's something for you to chew on ...

On my very first trip to Oshkosh 20+ years ago, I was camped at Camp Scholler all by myself. Went to bed about 9:00. I had just drifted off, and was awakened by the eerie strains of Danny Boy being played on a bagpipe.

I put on my shorts and a shirt, then slid out of my tent and started following the music. When I arrived at the campsite several rows away, there was already a crowd. The piper played a couple more songs, with the unbridled joy of the listeners apparent on their faces and evident in their applause, despite the late hour.

The musician closed his impromptu concert with Amazing Grace, and the quiet murmurings ceased. The music enveloped the crowd and total silence ensued, save the haunting strains of the bagpipe. At the song's conclusion, there was no applause. People just quietly left and returned to their own campsites. It was truly an amazing end to a great first day at Oshkosh!

Since I tend to be pretty good at volunteering other people to do things (what can I say? It's a gift), I think it would be pretty sweet if you just happened to stick an old fiddle into your plane when you fly to Oshkosh this year. What a great addition to Bob's POG!

While we probably can't afford to pay you, I'm sure you could pass your VAF hat and collect enough coins to buy another hat from DR. :D

Just something to chew on ...

Back