What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding Paint To All Ready Painted RV-6

mbauer

Well Known Member
I'm thinking of changing/adding to my already painted RV-6.

Spent this weekend drawing up a planned addition. Want to paint this on top of the Ivory white color. Colors added will be red, white (pure white) and blue.

This is a first rendition, have some changes needing done, will work on them as I get time, kind of tired working at the desk, well over 14-hours working in AutoCAD on this so far.

Anyway here is a 1st rendition of what my plan is:

RV_6_Paint_scan.jpg

What do you think of the basic design?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
I like the wing design, looks pretty cool. That looks like a mighty challenge to paint, particularly over old paint. Adhesion will be a problem, particularly if the base is a urethane paint. You may be better off with a custom decal.

I like it

I love the design, but agree that Vinyl might be the better way to go. Send your AutoCAD design to Erika at Aerographics and ask her if they can do that for you. I think she can read a .dxf file as well as a .pdf. I'm pretty sure their printer is 16" wide, so they might have to piece it together. Erika will know.

[email protected]

Edit: on the fuselage design, I think the blue head of the eagle should be more bold (e.g. wider line width). JMHO.

The wings are bold, the fuselage … looks like you gave up ;)

In my opinion, go large. Maybe you were trying to keep things in perfect anatomical scale? Deviate - make the design fit the aircraft.

Maybe even stylise/simplify it a little more.

RV_6_Paint_scan_revised_zps0y4nqcoj.jpg

As others have said, I think that's a job for vinyl…

I love the design, but agree that Vinyl might be the better way to go. Send your AutoCAD design to Erika at Aerographics and ask her if they can do that for you. I think she can read a .dxf file as well as a .pdf. I'm pretty sure their printer is 16" wide, so they might have to piece it together. Erika will know.

[email protected]

Edit: on the fuselage design, I think the blue head of the eagle should be more bold (e.g. wider line width). JMHO.

Great , thanks for the info. I'll send an email once I'm done with the updates to the design.

Yes, Agree about the blue on the head, plan is to enlarge the details like you mention. This was a first draft-printed to see what it would look like, another fix will be the small feathers on the wings near the fuselage; will extend the inner ones out to the edge, getting rid of the small hard to produce ones.

Thank you for your comments!

Best regards,
Mike

The wings are bold, the fuselage ? looks like you gave up ;)

In my opinion, go large. Maybe you were trying to keep things in perfect anatomical scale? Deviate - make the design fit the aircraft.

As others have said, I think that's a job for vinyl?

Wow, you are correct about anatomical size. Eagles have huge wings and small bodies, really like what you did! Awesome! Will re-think this a little, great ways to improve have been mentioned. Kind'a why I posted this rough draft/ 1st rendition.

Plan to contact the above link once I've fine tuned the drawing.

You really did improve the design by making it larger!

Thank you, for opening my eyes!

You must be in graphic design?!

Best regards,
Mike

Looking good Mike. Getting the paint right is not an easy thing.

I remember one guy printed out a bunch of blank views of his plane and worked with a high school art class teacher to get the students to design a paint scheme. If I remember correctly, he offered a small cash prize and pizza for the class.

I still need to get up to Alaska to visit!

Wow, you are correct about anatomical size. Eagles have huge wings and small bodies, really like what you did! Awesome! Will re-think this a little, great ways to improve have been mentioned. Kind'a why I posted this rough draft/ 1st rendition.

Plan to contact the above link once I've fine tuned the drawing.

You really did improve the design by making it larger!

Thank you, for opening my eyes!

You must be in graphic design?!

Best regards,
Mike

What you're doing is cool and very different - nice to see some different stuff. :)

When you fine tune, maybe trail a few tail feathers up over the top surface of the horizontal stab too.

Yep, a bit of a designers eye here, though it's not my main thing.

The wings are bold, the fuselage ? looks like you gave up ;)

As others have said, I think that's a job for vinyl?

Ed, you are spot on with this recommendation. This is a great improvement that keeps the style and intent of the original design.

Mike, I recommend you print this out and make a simple 3D model of it. I have a degree in design, and I know from my schooling that most people can't visualize in three dimensions. Even professionals make models to help evaluate a 3D design. Just print out the 2D templates you have and put it together like a balsa wood airplane. Then hold it close to your face, imagine you were a tiny scale-sized person, and look at it like you were walking up to it to go flying. It sounds silly, but it will give you a much better idea of how your design will look in real life.

Looking good Mike. Getting the paint right is not an easy thing.

I remember one guy printed out a bunch of blank views of his plane and worked with a high school art class teacher to get the students to design a paint scheme. If I remember correctly, he offered a small cash prize and pizza for the class.

I still need to get up to Alaska to visit!

Hi Rockwood,

Great to hear from you. Yes, you need to make it up 2020-Check with Vlad.

I'm trying to get things together enough to fly down next summer for my vacation. Possibly 4-weeks. Plan to stop in Boise to visit brother and Uncle, and you.

See your still looking to get your DAR inspection done?

Best regards,
Mike

What you're doing is cool and very different - nice to see some different stuff. :)

When you fine tune, maybe trail a few tail feathers up over the top surface of the horizontal stab too.

Yep, a bit of a designers eye here, though it's not my main thing.

Thank you for the nice complement!

The body was done first, I scaled a photo of an eagle to the wing. I then copied the photo and located it over the fuselage view, using lines from the wing location to place the beak and tail.

Then drew the body first, knowing I wanted abstract. After viewing your changes, will use them as a guide. By the time I was finishing the wing-tips, finally got the feather pattern better. Plan now to redo the body with more of a feather look than the complete lack of pattern.

Will also upsize the body as you have shown. Really like that look!

The wings will have more of the longer feather look near the root, will get rid of all of those little versions. Was practicing as the drawing progressed, now thinking the longer feathers near the wingtip, with the forks are the answer I was looking for.

Really want to say thank you to all for your help and comments! Will get back on the design this weekend when I have time to draw some more.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Ed, you are spot on with this recommendation. This is a great improvement that keeps the style and intent of the original design.

Mike, I recommend you print this out and make a simple 3D model of it. I have a degree in design, and I know from my schooling that most people can't visualize in three dimensions. Even professionals make models to help evaluate a 3D design. Just print out the 2D templates you have and put it together like a balsa wood airplane. Then hold it close to your face, imagine you were a tiny scale-sized person, and look at it like you were walking up to it to go flying. It sounds silly, but it will give you a much better idea of how your design will look in real life.

I agree with you on ED, he nailed it, was exactly what it is lacking.

Your comment on the 3D is correct. One of my hobbies is designing 3D paper models that fly.

A RV is slightly out of my range of designing in 2D like I do. On another website there are several model designers that use 3D, then they un-fold creating parts to build with.

I use 2D drawing skills and visualize the final 3D model. I have several tricks to do this, however; most of my models have a round fuselage. Meaning only have to create a round tube, with cones for the nosecone. The RV with its more boxy style of fuselage and the taper to the cowling will be a really big challenge for me in 2D, in fact I've started a basic drawing, that is were these simple RV view came from.

If you're interested in seeing the models I'm talking about, here are a couple of links to the website: www.papermodelers.com there is a special section for some of my designs, not all, here is a link to my projects: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/mike-bauers-projects/

Some of the other projects include a wind turbine that actually makes electricity.

All made from paper. Well the pulsejet engine on my "hot rodded" paper airplane is stainless steel, also using carbon fiber for wing spars, but most of it is paper as well.

At present there is a card stock paper 7' long SR71 Blackbird hanging from my ceiling, that can be flown as a glider.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
I was thinking about the mechanics of printing your project if I am correct that those Gerber printers are only 16" wide. I'm pretty sure they are since my stripes came on a 16+" wide roll with pin-feed holes on either edge. That would mean you will have to piece together your design. I think if you overlaid 16" construction lines on your wing design, you could some up with "puzzle pieces" where no butt joints would be required. The blue could be in one long piece and the red feathers in sections where there would be no joints. But if you had to make butt joints, my RV-12 buddy has one in his vinyl and you would never see it unless you knew where it was. This is exciting!

I agree that making a 3D model is the best way to visualize a paint scheme. In 2002 when I painted my RANS S-10 I made little paper models of the various paint schemes.

I drew up the paint scheme in MS Paint (free on every PC) and made a top view, bottom view, and L and R side views. I printed them out on photo paper, and then carefully cut them out of the paper. Then I glued the top and bottom wings together as well as the L and R fuselage pieces. Then I cut a slot with an exacto blade in the fuselage and slid the wings through.

It really does help to see the plane like this.

These are really bad digital images from 2002, but you can see some of the models in these photos. They have a 3" wingspan.

Updated Graphics

Took the advice to enlarge the body. Not sure what pattern to use for the feathers though. The abstract design is not quite what I want, will think on it some more. Maybe something like an abstract bunch of fish scales...?

Updated several things, decided not to wait for the weekend, did most of the changes yesterday after work, spent too much time doing them, late to sleep last night.

Worked on the wings as well. Hopefully I'm done with them; used the longer feather design for them, lined up the trailing edge feathers to better look like a wing.

Anyway here is the latest rendition. Comments are welcome!

RV_6_Eagle5.jpg

Been studying up on vinyl graphics.

Agree that is the best way to add this graphic design to my RV.

I sell welding supplies for work, one of my customers designs and builds boats, they have a huge vinyl printer/cutter. Been talking with them about creating the graphic, they are considering doing them for me!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
I agree that making a 3D model is the best way to visualize a paint scheme. In 2002 when I painted my RANS S-10 I made little paper models of the various paint schemes.

I drew up the paint scheme in MS Paint (free on every PC) and made a top view, bottom view, and L and R side views. I printed them out on photo paper, and then carefully cut them out of the paper. Then I glued the top and bottom wings together as well as the L and R fuselage pieces. Then I cut a slot with an exacto blade in the fuselage and slid the wings through.

It really does help to see the plane like this.

These are really bad digital images from 2002, but you can see some of the models in these photos. They have a 3" wingspan.

I've made similar ones about that size as Christmas tree ornaments. It's a good way of putting your RV on the tree. :)

Nice.
I had a friend model mine in a flight simulator. Easy changes and can be viewed at any angle.
Be careful where your design crosses ailerons, flaps.....
Some designs can start to look odd when flaps are down or ailerons not perfectly in line. If you can keep your design on the wing only and can still execute your vision, it is easier to apply and will always look right regardless of control surface position.

Comments are welcome!
The wings look great! I wouldn't change a thing. On the fuselage, the eagle's head looks to me like it's disconnected from the body. I realize that you're trying to depict the white head of a bald eagle, but to me (again) it looks weird. Maybe you could connect the head and body with just the outline? Also, I kinda' liked the previous design where the tail feathers went up the vertical stab.

Updated Fuselage/Tweaked the Wings a Little

Rendition #6

Great thing about AutoCAD: Can save old versions and draw new ones by cutting/pasting.

This is the 6th version; Today I brought in a photo of an eagle flying with a side view. I then drew a new beak, head shape (actually just re-shaped the old version), figured a different way to show the "cape" and now trying different shape of feathers for the body. Final thing was changing the tail feathers to look more like an eagle in flight.

Still have a few things that need worked on, but this is getting closer I hope; Comments are welcome!
RV_Eagle6.jpg

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

The wings look great! I wouldn't change a thing. On the fuselage, the eagle's head looks to me like it's disconnected from the body. I realize that you're trying to depict the white head of a bald eagle, but to me (again) it looks weird. Maybe you could connect the head and body with just the outline? Also, I kinda' liked the previous design where the tail feathers went up the vertical stab.

I agree! The vertical stab looks unintentionally empty to me (perhaps it won't look that way in 3D, but it's hard to say for sure by just looking at the 2D images). If the tail feathers went upward on the VS, then perhaps they could also go horizontally across the VS? I'm stuck on an airliner at the moment so I can't try out a mock up -- I'm not sure if the VS is wide enough to incorporate that idea or not.

If you don't extend the tail feathers up the VS/rudder, you may think of what else you could put up there to balance the design.

Also, you should fit your N-number into the design so it incorporates it harmoniously, and not as an after-thought. (Perhaps putting your N-number on the upper part of the VS will solve the negative space issue?)

One other suggestion is to erase the design you have over the wing. The wing has a dihedral to it, so it won't look exactly like the drawing. I don't think you can successfully put that design on the wing tip, given the shape of it, and have it appear as your drawing does. Even if you could, it would only make sense from a single vantage point, that you would rarely see in real life. It's okay for the wing to intercept part of the bird's breast, but don't let your eye be fooled by seeing the feathers on the wing tip, because your eye will think it's part of the real design, when it won't be. (On a similar note, you should also think about where the wing fairing is, and how that will effect your design.)

The junction between the top/back of the head, and the point it makes where it meets the shoulder area is a bit sharp. I think you should move the eagle's head upward a bit, to be more in line with it's back, or at least make a more rounded transition. Don't be too bound by the way an eagle is in real life -- this is a stylized representation, and sometimes it's best to deviate from the real thing to get something that your eye appreciates better.

Looking good!!

Last edited:
Rendition #7

Tweaked the wings to a final look. Notice there is more white area between the blue. Tried to shape this area more like an actual eagle wing. I'm happy with the look.

RV_6_Eagle7.jpg

Body still a work in progress:
1) Scaled the head larger
2) Changed the cape again thinking it is nearly done, except for moving it forward, Listening to the post that mentioned how parts would look at wing tips and wing-root. The blue cape feathers are on the wing root, will move them forward to clear, that way they will just be on the fuselage.
3) Body shape with the smaller tail area looks better than the barrel shape of early designs (I think).
4) Listening to everyone so far that likes the tail feathers going up the rudder and onto the HS. Trying to convince myself to give it a go, not convinced the HS will look good with just the tailfeathers on it. I do have a decal that is on the rudder's left side. It says "Cloud Chasers" with a very pixelated design.

As mentioned, the N numbers will need to be re-located, they are just forward of the HS, this design will cover them.

A good friend who does graphic design for a living mentioned that the wings are to busy, need to thin the red feathers out. What do you think?

@Rob: Thank you for the advice on the wing, at first I didn't get it till just now. Next update will remove like you mention. Also, think maybe I fixed the comment about the back of the head where it meets. Were you talking about the top back? When I scaled the head bigger and changed the cape-does it look better now or do you still think the angle is to great?

Getting close to printing a model out, to build for checking the graphics.

Planning on a flight tomorrow morning as soon as it is light. Will be heading to Anchorage to spend the night, no updates until later this weekend.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Good reason to fly to Alaska again Mike. To update the picture :D

Are you planning to visit Pennsylvania any time soon?

Good reason to fly to Alaska again Mike. To update the picture :D

Are you planning to visit Pennsylvania any time soon?

Hi Vlad,

Once the condition inspection is done in Feb. 2019, and insurance paid for, hoping to have enough money to fly down. Looking at May 2019 for the trip.

Oh, I get it: You're volunteering to fly up and help apply the graphics! Awesome!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Rendition # 9-10

Modified Graphic, removed the wing detail on the fuselage, fit the head to the engine cowling, simulated the ivory color of the present paint.

Removed some of the wing feathers, opened up the tail feathers using a red outline instead, made them a little bigger as well.

I did look at the tail feathers going onto the rudder, my personal thought was it is too "cartoony" looking.

Yesterday's flight to Anchorage didn't happen, instead ended up flying with my daughter to the Harding Ice Field. We had a great time, flew it just before sunset. On the way back saw a huge brown bear on the river.

Planning on printing a model to see how it looks, I'll post a photo once it is done.

Anyway here is the latest look:

RV_6_Eagle9_Ivry3_Copy.jpg

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
I think the tweaks you've made to the fuselage feathers look great. I still think it needs to be bigger though to fill the fuz, so I've scaled it up and also wrapped it up into the canopy. Also, IMHO the Eagle's feet look better wrapping round under the fuselage.

As others have said, I think the back end looks too bare without trailing feathers… in fact, I've added more to the top of the horizontal stab…

Hi Vlad,

Once the condition inspection is done in Feb. 2019, and insurance paid for, hoping to have enough money to fly down. Looking at May 2019 for the trip.

Oh, I get it: You're volunteering to fly up and help apply the graphics! Awesome!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Then EdH will fly to AK to take a calendar picture of your eagle over Harding Icefield. That would be a winner photo. :)

Then EdH will fly to AK to take a calendar picture of your eagle over Harding Icefield. That would be a winner photo. :)

Saturday flew my daughter for her first trip to the Harding Ice Field. Right at sunset. Have a few photos to upload. No clouds, so there wasn't a really colorful sunset, just a few shadows and lighting to look at.

First flight that way since you were here.

EdH sure has some interesting changes, couldn't picture how the elevator and HS would look, he did a great job showing me! Will work on an update myself. Thanks EdH!

Mike

Nice Mike. I did a quick copy and paste. I think you are going to love your new bird!
mike%20-%201_zpssyrzkwkr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

EdH sure has some interesting changes, couldn't picture how the elevator and HS would look, he did a great job showing me! Will work on an update myself. Thanks EdH!

Mike

No problem? happy to throw some more ideas into the mix, Mike.

No problem? happy to throw some more ideas into the mix, Mike.

Thank you once again, Rockwood has sold your design modification to me! Awesome job Rockwood!

Didn't get a chance to work on the updates last night, worked on some mapping for a group of friends that are trying to incorporate the town where I live into a city. Probably more drawing after work tonight as well. We are getting close to our deadline for submitting.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Simple Paper Model

Mirrored the basic work, then printed it out on two sheets of 90# Cardstock. Cut and glued.

This is what I ended up with:

RV_Paint_Model1_Copy.jpg

Now I see what everyone has been saying about the tail being bare. Will work on changing the looks this weekend. (modified to what ED has shown-he really did a great job)

Also wondering if I should now have the graphic shown on the belly of the RV as well?

Talking about adding the body feathers and wrap the claws around the side and bottom.

Thinking I might be able to do a more 3d like model on the next try to see how adding the graphic to the belly will look.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Mike,

This is really looking good!! Try putting your N-number across the VS/Rudder, large enough to fill about 80% of it from front to back. Try it in blue -- I think that will help give you some balance in the negative space and visually tie the front of the plane to the back.

Personally, I wouldn't put a design on the belly. If you want the belly to be part of the design, then the design should cover the whole fuselage and not just the sides. If you do a more 3D like model you could try that out and see how it looks.

Great job!
Rob

Last edited:
Mirrored the basic work, then printed it out on two sheets of 90# Cardstock. Cut and glued.

This is what I ended up with:

RV_Paint_Model1_Copy.jpg

Now I see what everyone has been saying about the tail being bare. Will work on changing the looks this weekend. (modified to what ED has shown-he really did a great job)

Also wondering if I should now have the graphic shown on the belly of the RV as well?

Talking about adding the body feathers and wrap the claws around the side and bottom.

Thinking I might be able to do a more 3d like model on the next try to see how adding the graphic to the belly will look.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Looks good? but that empennage needs tail feathers!

Maybe try one with my scaled up eagle body (where it wrapped up into the canopy)?

One thought - is it worth having a few more blue feathers behind the head, to blend into the wing root leading edge blue feathers? The three-quarter view identifies potential for a mismatch of colours.

Major Upgrades This Weekend Planned

Hi Rob, thank you for the comments.

Hi Ed, Yes, will try something like your design-also will be working on creating an actual 3D model for the fuselage along with being able to use different schemes to test.

Your comment about the blue cape feathers is part of the upgrades this weekend, agree it doesn't match up correctly, saw that when putting this little "profile" fuselage together last night.

Actually going to increase the head cape feathers and change the look of them as well. Too angled and not "flowing", thinking the blue transition to the red needs some curves added. They will be moved to a location further down the fuselage after they've been upsized, to better match the blue of the wings.

I do plan to scale everything on the body up to fill the fuselage like you mention.

I used my last design from mid-week, haven't updated it because I've been working on a different project the last few nights, tomorrow will be doing some serious changes....Not done yet!

@ eisnerrv4: totally agree with you! This graphic won't appeal to everyone. Do thank you for checking it out!

Thank you all for your interest and comments.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

I really like the cardboard mockup. You could put your N-numbers on the tail instead of feathers.

Worked all Weekend On Design

Spent most of this weekend working on my design upgrades.

Couldn't find a happy place for the head cape feathers, finally brought in some eagles in flight to get an idea or two. I think I found what I was looking for.

Also created an RV paper 3D model, almost complete once I figure how to make a canopy, real rough, nor curves just slabs for fuselage, but it works for the paint project. I'll show a photo down below.

Steps to get to a semi-final look:

First printed out Ed's design and then cut and glued the wings and the HS to the side profile view. Once the HS is glued into place the feathers going up the VS & rudder don't seem to flow as nice.

ED4_Copy.jpg

ED2_Copy.jpg

Next step was to experiment with different feather patterns for the head cape. Tried several finally on try 14 found something that fits with the wing style and flows with the overall head shape.

The two photos below show the experiment with the cape and tail feathers.

I decide to go with a red out line instead of solid red; reason why is eagle tail feathers are white, decide to try and emulate that with my graphic.

Here is a version with the cape feathers with angled tail feathers, and HS feathers:

RV_Paint14_Copy.jpg

A quick glue and see what it looks like:

RV_14_2_Copy.jpg

The tail feathers just don't seem to fit right.

Here is the semi-final look, revision 15, feathers removed from HS and VS:

RV_Paint15_Copy.jpg

Here is a 1st try at an RV 6 paper model, this was made last night. Today I added the revision 15 graphics and will build the model tonight. Major changes to the model as well.

Model5.jpg

Bottom view:

Model3.jpg

Well back to model building...

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Mike, great modelling!

I like the new bigger head/cape. That bigger head IMHO would look great with my stretched longer body.

The new combo of tail feathers on the fuz with the horizontal stab is cool, however I prefer my original idea for the tail feather spread across the whole surface of the emp.

Try those, and personally I think you'll have it.

PS. Feathers on the bottom are a nice touch!

Model Build Revision 15

Mike, great modelling!

I like the new bigger head/cape. That bigger head IMHO would look great with my stretched longer body.

The new combo of tail feathers on the fuz with the horizontal stab is cool, however I prefer my original idea for the tail feather spread across the whole surface of the emp.

Try those, and personally I think you'll have it.

PS. Feathers on the bottom are a nice touch!

Hi Ed,

I plan to experiment more with the model. Gives better look for fit of graphics. Thinking I will be able to add skins to attempt different looks.

Will be doing a model or skins of your modifications to see how it will look.

Built a second model last night, modified some of the parts for better fit and ease of build, still took two hours to complete.

Compound curves are a real pain in paper, will have to form a canopy later, it will take several hours of work to accomplish. Due to the curves in the real canopy, the paper one will have several cuts and gluing to form a semi-curve look using flat panels.

Here are some photos of a RV-6 Convertible:

RV6_M15_1_Copy.jpg

Here is the right side view:

RV6_M15_2_Copy.jpg

Bottom View:

RV6_M15_3_Copy.jpg

Final view:

RV6_M15_4_Copy.jpg

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Just what I see

The eagle head to me has the effect of the picture the some people see the beautiful young girl looking away from you or you see the ugly old lady. I believe they call it a left brain or right brain thing. I can see the eagle head looking forward but first impression for me is a face looking rearward. I think the darker blue lines pull my attention away from the lighter yellow beak.

I think Jim is correct. It needs something to pull your eye to the beak. Maybe the blue head part solid blue? Where the wing meets the fuselage, I would make the blue from the wing match in width to the fuselage blue. Widen it and then taper it as it goes out the wing?

Just ideas. You are really making sure you get what you want Mike! That is the way to do it. One other thing to try is to put your plane in a hangar and use a projection system to project the design onto your plane. I have seen projectors for under a $100 and may help work out the final edits. You can watch movies on the hangar door after you are done with the vinyl wrap!! Have fun.

Model Design

On another website for paper models, I have been posting a similar thread. One of the designers, way better than me, has posted a quick 3D drawing of the RV-6.

I've asked permission to copy and paste the drawing here.

Looks like he might be creating an actual model.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

I think Jim is correct. It needs something to pull your eye to the beak. Maybe the blue head part solid blue? Where the wing meets the fuselage, I would make the blue from the wing match in width to the fuselage blue. Widen it and then taper it as it goes out the wing?

Just ideas. You are really making sure you get what you want Mike! That is the way to do it. One other thing to try is to put your plane in a hangar and use a projection system to project the design onto your plane. I have seen projectors for under a $100 and may help work out the final edits. You can watch movies on the hangar door after you are done with the vinyl wrap!! Have fun.

Hi Rockwood,

Yes, the drawing and photos don't show the real colors. The yellow is very bright, however it and some of the other colors were washed out under the bright light I used.

The laser printer prints vivid yellow, while my inkjet changed it to orange yellow. Used the inkjet for the model because laser print flakes off the cardstock when bending or rolling the model parts.

Actual graphic color will be a bright yellow.

Best regards,
Mike

Making a paper 3D model is a great idea. If you could fine tune these and make assembly instructions im sure you could sell plenty. I would love to have a few for paint job comparisons.

Back