What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Canopy Roller Mount WD-644 rust

glider4

Well Known Member
During my condition inspection last year I noted some surface rust on the top cylinder of the WD-644. Not a lot of rust, but some. I found this because I am using PIP pins instead of the AN-525 screws to join the canopy frame with the roller mount. In trying to remove the PIP pins there was a fair amount of resistance due to the rust. The fix was easy, just some light buffing of the upper cylinder of the roller mount and a healthy application of low temp grease.
Still not 100% convinced I could get the canopy ejected using the PIP pins to release the forward canopy frame but I'm pretty sure I could not have done it with the resistance from that rust!

Canopy frame rust

Both the roller bracket and canopy frame tubing are rusting. Your solution of greasing is best fix for your situation. On new builds, best prevention would be to prime the inside of the tubing frame during construction, but some rusting would still happen in all those drilled rivet holes. Don't try priming inside canopy tubing after plexi is riveted on as the paint seeping thru those holes would make a real big mess where you can't clean.

Back