What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drawings for electrical and FWF

Blain

Well Known Member
Wiring from scratch and working FWF ahead of engine purchase. Surfing forum posts for ideas, etc. Keep seeing reference to drawings I don't have. I Don't see a list on the Vans site for anything other then preview plans or the "Complete CD". I did search a page number that was referenced by a poster, OP-10, and the page came up in "The list".

Are these supplements on the CD? Or will I need to order each individually?

Aeroelectric.com

They are drawings made by Bob Knockolls (spelling?) you should pick up the book. Good info and it will help you design your electric system.

Last edited:
Looking for Vans drawings. Apparently only available with the corresponding kits. Wiring, FWF.

Downloaded Nichols book. Yes, much good info there.

What really got me today is routing of wiring. Really don't know what all the holes are for on firewall. Some are obvious, but I don't want to be punching something new when there is a pre-punched dedicated hole.

I believe all the holes through the firewall on the Van's Plans are for control cables, fuel lines etc. You make your own holes for the electrical, lots of people make a wiring pass-through just above each top engine mount bolt through the firewall.

You make your own holes for the electrical, lots of people make a wiring pass-through just above each top engine mount bolt through the firewall.
An alternative I have seen and used is on the centereline, with the conduits attached to the frame of the baggage door. Probably less obstructive / vulnerable to damage in the baggage bay. The wiring runs from a panel centre EFIS are also slightly shorter.

Firewall Forward

I feel your pain. I've been slowly getting there and accumulating the various parts and pieces I need. I've read Bob Knuckolls book many times and then recently purchased Marc Ausman's new book, "Aircraft Wiring Guide." The focus is on all those things other than individual avionics and the pictures and specific how to wire gizmo's is well worth the price of the book. It will make my life much easier. Suggest you look into it.

I feel your pain. I've been slowly getting there and accumulating the various parts and pieces I need. I've read Bob Knuckolls book many times and then recently purchased Marc Ausman's new book, "Aircraft Wiring Guide." The focus is on all those things other than individual avionics and the pictures and specific how to wire gizmo's is well worth the price of the book. It will make my life much easier. Suggest you look into it.

Ordered last week. Anxiously awaiting its arrival.:D

Back