What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backseat GPS

Capfo

I've searched the forums and I've found a few threads talking about various options for back seat displays but very few pics of the install. I'm thinking of putting a Garmin Aera in the backseat. I'm not looking for a EFIS setup but rather just a basic means for the backseater to know where we are. I've got a few ideas about how to mount it but I'm wondering if anyone has some pics/pireps of their setup.

Rear seat

I haven't put anything back there yet , but an IPad / mini
is a lot of bang for the buck , even have " Inflight Movies ".

Back seat maps

I don't have any pictures with me, I'm on a work trip. But I bolted a RAM mount ball mount to the near top of the front seat back and use a RAM mount cradle for an iPadAir running the iFly GPS, which also gets ADS-B traffic via wifi from my SkyGuardTWX. The mount keeps the iPad out of the way of the rear stick and below my shoulders so it does not block the view from the rear seat. Most of the folks that have ridden back there so to like it.

Me too

IPad mini ram mount on the back of my seat, very versital. All my stand alone GPS units are now dated, and almost worthless.

I could take a photo Monday, but it is so simple.

What are you using up front? I am looking forward to using my Dynon, synced with foreflight in the back...

ASUS ME572c 7" android tablet fron Best Buy for. $149.99 and free Avare app loaded with only the vfr sectionals.

I'll second the suggestion of an IPad (mini). Virtually everyone knows how to use one, opposed to non-aviators not knowing how to use an aviation GPS. I would think a passenger would enjoy seeing Google Earth/maps, watching a movie, FaceTime, Foreflight, video recording the flight, etc.. In other words, a lot of choices in app's.

I'm not opposed to an iPad mini but I'm more interested in how everyone is mounting them to keep them out of the way for ingress/egress while maintaining a proper viewing angle and making it aesthetically pleasing.

Here's the ram mount products I used. I like the mount, one handed operation and holds firmly. I do have the same up front do I can use the pad when solo or my wife is sleeping. The ball and base is short. No problem for my GIBs getting in and out with either the empty mount or the iPad in place. I have USB plug jacks in the armrests to keep things charged.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7OE4DW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00361ET9S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the ram mount products I used. I like the mount, one handed operation and holds firmly. I do have the same up front do I can use the pad when solo or my wife is sleeping. The ball and base is short. No problem for my GIBs getting in and out with either the empty mount or the iPad in place. I have USB plug jacks in the armrests to keep things charged.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7OE4DW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00361ET9S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With my limited experience with these mounts top tab is a weak point. It will eventually break if used often or in cold temps. I broke THREE during two years. RAM would gladly send you a new one for free but shipping costs will easy eat the savings. I would suggest this one instead
http://www.amazon.com/RAM-HOL-TAB2U..._sim_pc_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MGZXTA2J2Y06T6E8KWG

I installed a RAM ball mount tithe back of the pilot seat. This provides nearly infinite possibilities. From there, you can go with something like an Aera or a tablet with one of the aviation apps.

I've switched to using RAM X-Grip holders since the worth with tablets with or without covers / cases. They also work with a range of tablets. For weight reasons I'd suggest an iPad mini or 7" android tablet. My experience has been to use the shortest RAM arm possible to keep the vibrations to a minimum.

The other advantage of the tablet route is - as one GIB put it - "if I get board, I watch a movie".

Last edited:
An old Garmin tucks in well at the base of the front seat back.

It's just a Garmin snap-type tilting mount on the control crossmember

Antenna is on a small bracket between the right-side legs of the WD808. Cable goes under the floor and up the sidewall. There are two power outlets in the console, one for the GPS and one for utility use. The outlet for the GPS faces forward, on the left front face.

I made a little bracket for an AREA 500 panel mount. Minimally invasive however the angle is critical for viewing and the screen washes out in the sun.

I made the bracket quite robust (there is a piece of angle beneath) so I had to shim the Area mount to get the angle right. I also added an after market glare shield made for motorcycles. I also have a Area 500 mount in front, just in case I have to move it some time.

It seems to work ok, (I've never ridden back there), but I still keep getting complaints from the "non aviation" GIB that she cannot see the front panel... Sigh!!

Now that Dynon and Foreflight can talk to each other I'm wondering if a mini Ipad would be better, map and instruments. If I do this I will rig something flexible with a ram mount...

Would it stop the complaints? Probably not!!

For the GIB, maybe mounting it isn't so critical... Drop it into a side pocket when not in use, and hold in front of you when it is? Mounting is nicer though, I agree.

I can confirm that the Aera is largely useless in sunlight. My iPad was better, and the Android devices i've tried since have been better as well. Install FltPlanGo (free) and download the maps for your area (also free) and you're done. Inflight movies and/or music, too.

One of the nicest setups I have seen is a fold down tray bent up from some scrap alum, couple springs to hold it up and out of the way. Lip bent into the edge to hold an Ipad. Small tab on rollbar to hold the top of the Ipad.

Pull it down, insert the Ipad, and there you are.

Sadly, I did not take photos.

Anybody out there who knows John Stahr may have seen it in his plane.

I used two appropriately sized Adel clamps on the back seat bar and bolted them to the standard G296 RAM cradle. Very simple, very secure, no fabrication or modification required.

Photos

Here's photos as promised of my back seat. I use the same Ram Mount front and back, easy to snap in place. We travel with a small dog on Katie's lap, (stick removed) and the mounted mini ipad is needed because her hands are full. Or if another pilot is riding, then Foreflight synced with Skyview gives most needed data now.

2hqqnw5.jpg

etwjtf.jpg

2rysrhw.jpg

Rear Panel RV8A

Got this panel idea from good friend's RV8A Dick Jason. GRT slave and Garmin GPS. Added the GRT EIS slave for engine and flight instruments. Hinge on top and locks on bottom so it can be tilted up. This is very handy when you share flying the front seat when your in the back.
52h0zt.jpg
[/IMG]

Two iPads?

Here's photos as promised of my back seat. I use the same Ram Mount front and back, easy to snap in place. We travel with a small dog on Katie's lap, (stick removed) and the mounted mini ipad is needed because her hands are full. Or if another pilot is riding, then Foreflight synced with Skyview gives most needed data now.

2hqqnw5.jpg

Bruce, I like your iPad set-up...

Does anybody know if you can link two ipads to the Dynon at the same time? I would like to have one in front and back.

Would there be issues when updating flight plans from one to another?

Bruce, I like your iPad set-up...

Does anybody know if you can link two ipads to the Dynon at the same time? I would like to have one in front and back.

Would there be issues when updating flight plans from one to another?

Here's one answer...

Originally Posted by krw5927 View Post
THIS IS AWESOME!!!

Quick questions:

1) How many iOS devices can connect at a time?
2) Do weather and traffic get passed to Foreflight from the SV-ADSB-470 if installed?
1) A bunch. The technical limit is some base 2 number, maybe 255. Bandwidth becomes a concern at some point before that. But practically speaking, you can have more iPads connected than there are seats in any RV
2) They don't in this release. That's not a promise that they ever will, but you and others are imagining possible future expansion features that are within the realm of possibility. Make sure to let ForeFlight know what you'd like to see too!
425-402-0433
www.DynonAvionics.com

Question for Dan Horton

Dan,

Is there a source for the rear stick boot depicted in your photograph?

I just bought a completed RV-8 that had a Garmin 196 mounted to a bracket attached to the top bar of the front seat. While removing the Garmin to replace the AA batteries I found out the hard way that there was no battery cover on the unit. I inadvertently popped one of the AA batteries out and it unfortunately fell right into the hole next to the rear stick. Now I have to go on a blind fishing expedition to find it before I fly again as I'm a concerned that it (battery) could jam the controls.

If I had a stick boot installed, nothing could fall into that black hole.

Thanks,

Charlie

If I had a stick boot installed, nothing could fall into that black hole. Thanks, Charlie

That boot is from Mrs Horton's sewing machine. The console is just bent 2024 sheet. The trim ring holding the boot was cut from 0.100" 6061.

my Compliments to Mrs. Horton and you

Dan H wrote:

"That boot is from Mrs Horton's sewing machine. The console is just bent 2024 sheet. The trim ring holding the boot was cut from 0.100" 6061."

Thanks Dan. My compliments to you and the Mrs. Nice work you two.

My wife sews. I'll see if I can persuade her to assist me in the modification.

Charlie

Back