What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A few questions

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Hi all
A few questions on the manual procedures.
(1) page 36-12 has you install two #5702-75-60 washers on the outside of the CS-00007-L and two standard 3/16" washers on each side of the rod end bearing. Usually the larger dia. washer goes next to the bearing.
(2)On page 34-04 and 34-05, there are two extra nutplates on the bottom of F-014056, besides the ones on the flanges. Page 32-06 and 32-07 show the details for installing the F-01405G flap motor channel but there are no holes for these extra nutplates nor instruction for installing them. Anybody know what's up with this.
(3) Installed the control sticks and torqued the four bolts (not final just to see if they tighten). Sticks are loose in both CS-00007 and slop around a little. Any thoughts as to what one could do to tighten them up and still be able to remove them. Perhaps I could put a coat of paint as they are bare metal now. I would assume this would not be correct as they would come powdercoated and sized accordingly if that was acceptable.
Thanks Ron

Maybe my plans are different but...

Page 36-12 those are standard wasters on the outside of the AN3-11A, but next to the bearing it isn't standard washers...those are a much narrower steele washer that is the same diameter basically as the outer face of the bearing.
I can't remember if I was short some or just couldn't find them, but I ordered a half dozen or so extra of those steel washers and the small washers, just to have extras around. So just to clarify, none of the washers on 36-12 are those large diameter shiny steel washers.

Regarding the extra nutplates....good catch, I have no clue.

On the stick slop, maybe I'd keep it simple if possible....a thin layer of tape or aluminum tape, if it fits, around the stick. Maybe not even the whole circumference. Something plastic or metal that wouldn't absorb moisture may be the best bet.

Tim

Thanks Tim I did see the small bushings (that's what I would call them) I think they were in the same bag as the larger dia. plated washers. I might have gotten the part # mixed up. I'll go check the plans again.
On page 30-06 , figure #3 to the far right (holes next to seat belt attach tab) "Do Not Rivet". I'm practically done with the fuselage and these four holes are still open. Anyone know if they are for something in the next kit or just missed (maybe I just missed this step somewhere).

Just looked at the plans and I'm thinking you are correct, but the part # callout looks to be wrong if that is the case. On page 36-11 , figure #2 calls out P/N 5702-95-30 and that's a 1/4" plated washer and that's what the diagram shows.
Page 36-12 calls for two 5702-75-60 and I assumed that was a 3/16 large dia. plated washer , but the diagram seems to show a standard washer on the outer sides and the small bushings on the innerds.

Missing Rivets

On page 30-06 , figure #3 to the far right (holes next to seat belt attach tab) "Do Not Rivet". I'm practically done with the fuselage and these four holes are still open. Anyone know if they are for something in the next kit or just missed (maybe I just missed this step somewhere).

Hey Ron, yes, I am with you. I looked at that this weekend trying to figure out if those 2 holes on each side should be riveted now. I just left them thinking they must tie into something when we get the finishing kit. Maybe Scott can respond. Thanks for bringing that up.

I'd have to look at mine but I think I riveted them. (The holes on 30-06).
You don't rivet them on 30-06 but on 30-07 there are 3 previously riveted holes on that vertical line that says "Riveting direction" on it in 2 places. The 3 holes just above those labels are the ones that I think are shown on 30-06, and here they show being riveted. So I'm assuming the "do not rivet" was only for that page. Once you move on, then they are riveted. And, the reason they were probably "do not riveted" is because they want you to start in the middle and work your way up and down. If you riveted them previously, then the skin may not lay properly with all the stresses. So that's probably all it was. I am betting mine are done, and even if they shouldn't have been, it's probably not a big deal.

I'd have to look at mine but I think I riveted them. (The holes on 30-06).
You don't rivet them on 30-06 but on 30-07 there are 3 previously riveted holes on that vertical line that says "Riveting direction" on it in 2 places. The 3 holes just above those labels are the ones that I think are shown on 30-06, and here they show being riveted. So I'm assuming the "do not rivet" was only for that page. Once you move on, then they are riveted. And, the reason they were probably "do not riveted" is because they want you to start in the middle and work your way up and down. If you riveted them previously, then the skin may not lay properly with all the stresses. So that's probably all it was. I am betting mine are done, and even if they shouldn't have been, it's probably not a big deal.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Tim said.....

Back