What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane back from Paint and Radio Static w/nav lights

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
So... after getting my plane back from paint, I noticed that I am getting really bad radio static when I have the nav lights on. :mad: It's clearly a grounding issue but I was wondering if anyone has a location I should look at first before starting to rip things apart.

Thanks in advance,
D

Look at where you comm antenna is connected. Did it's grounds get painted over?

Then look for the grounds on the position lights.

Don?t know if the wing tips were removed during paint but I would think not. That would then say go to tail position light since rudder had to be removed to be balanced. Another option is if you know where all 3 lights meet, then try to disconnect 1 at a time. Hopefully it is easily reproducible on the ground.

Jay

Yeah, I have led replacement bulbs in whelen nav lights. The wingtips were off as well.

Put a ferrite magnetic clamp/choke on each positive wire near the nav lights.

Hopefully you can remove the whelens if their mount is easier to unscrew than dropping the wingtips. Don't drop the lenses on the ground.

You'll need to loop the wire through the choke likely twice, so hopefully no splices needed, choke needs to fit back in the mount opening.

F7740641-01.jpg

Last edited:
Did you have these LED NAV lights installed before paint? If so, was the noise problem there before paint?

Are you using airframe ground for these NAV lights?

Carl

Back