VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-03-2018, 04:19 PM

Default RV 8 wings donít fit- what to do?

Attempted to stab the wings on my RV-8 with help of 4 highly experienced builders today. We could not get a fit and using electric calipers we discovered the wing is .08 of a inch wider than the slot it should go into. Other than calling Vanís on Monday has anyone else had this problem or know the fix?
Old 02-03-2018, 04:37 PM

Default Clarification.

Just want to clarify, the wing spars wont fit in the wing spar box?

What did you use for the spacer when you riveted that section together?

Quickbuild or slow build?

I would think that if you are out that much, you need to disassemble the spar box, space it properly and re-rivet. I used a CNC machined spacer I had fabricated and my spars went in with no difficulties.

I know others have used washers. I would think anything compressible like wood may cause your current issue.

Good luck. Call Vanís for their opinion. I would think that any adjustment to the spars would be a no no.

Cheers,

Don
http://www.mykitlog.com/Don%20Patrick

2018 donation contributor.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:15 PM

Default RV 8 wings donít fit- what to do?

A friend had this happen on his RV-9A. The plans are not very clear about using a spacer (I think they say wood) while riveting the bottom front skin to the skin aft of the spar. In his case, he de-riveted this joint, spread the front and rear fuselage spar halves apart and re-riveted. Seemed to work OK and even used the same dimpled rivet holes.

In my case I made hard plastic delrin spacers just wider than the measured wing spar prior to riveting, although I have not yet tried to fit the wings.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
I used a spreader. A bolt with a nut and washers on both sides. Lots of ways to do it, just make sure you can get it out, and it won't leave a scratch. I put the bolt through the main spar holes, one upper and one lower. It did not take much to move it a few thousands. I did a dry run on each side. Have a magnet on a stick handy.

Easier if there is a block and the bolt can be turned and just hold the nut. I may have a picture.
He's .080" short, that's more than a 1/16 of an inch. Somethings going to give trying to spread it that much and it won't be pretty.

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 02-03-2018, 05:53 PM

The wings were a slow build kit and the fuselage was a quick build. Both are recent kits.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:07 PM

Slow build wings and quick build fuselage.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:51 PM

Default Vans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Slow build wings and quick build fuselage.
Worth a call to Vans so they know there's a QB problem. Most likely they will tell you as others said to drill the rivets on the center section, bolt in spacers and rivet back together.
I used Buller spacers but mine was a SB. Spacers were .005" thicker than the wing soars. Wings go in with a little coaxing.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:36 PM

Default What's the dimension ?

Just curious if anyone has the exact width dimension on the upper and lower wing spars where the bolts go through?

Doug's issue is a puzzle? The fuse is a quick build so the spar box should have been assembled at Vans with the correct spacers .... shouldn't it?

Every spar I have stabbed so far (4) has pretty much slid right in once you were holding your mouth right

Bill

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 2/11/18 for 2018
Old 02-03-2018, 08:55 PM

Default Measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSchlatterer View Post
Just curious if anyone has the exact width dimension on the upper and lower wing spars where the bolts go through?

Doug's issue is a puzzle? The fuse is a quick build so the spar box should have been assembled at Vans with the correct spacers .... shouldn't it?

Every spar I have stabbed so far (4) has pretty much slid right in once you were holding your mouth right

Bill
Yes. That's why I suggested a call. Clearly they missed because spars are supposed to be so precise they are no longer a matched set with the center section. I have even seen fuses built without spacers and the wings fit.
He did say they were experienced builder helpers so one would assume they know how to get the wing spar to slide in.
My soars were 1.439". My spacers were 1.444". It's a 7.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 02-03-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:43 PM

I used wood spacers from another builder, and my slots came out 10-15 mils narrower than the spars (slow build -7). However, there is enough flex in the structure that by slightly chamfering the ends of spars and greasing the spars and the slots per instructions, the wings went in with surprisingly little effort. I I ever do it again Iíll have some steel or aluminum spacers fabricated.

I would guess that 80 mils would be a different story; thatís about 85% of the diameter of a #3 rivet. I would be a bit torqued if Iíd paid extra for a QB fuselage and got something like that. Drilling out that center section wouldnít exactly be a trivial task...

Construction Log
Picasa: Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.