What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop choice?

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I was planning on ordering my engine and prop combo, but cannot get a confirmation on what prop is the best for the RV-14A. Van's says to go with the one for the RV-6,7and 8 models, "that should work" and "I think that is what is on the prototype".
Hartzell says that they have no information on the RV-14 and to contact Van's.
I was hoping Van's would give me a part number to make sure I order the correct one.
Anyone order a prop for their RV-14A yet? What prop did you order?
Thanks Ron

I was planning on ordering my engine and prop combo, but cannot get a confirmation on what prop is the best for the RV-14A.
What prop is best can not be answered unless you define what is best for your need. This has nothing to do with the 14. We can help you if you can point us in your 'best' direction.

I'm just the average pilot looking to do some cross country flying. I would like decent performance and economy cruise (reasonable for the RV-14). For our RV-10 Van's only had one blended airfoil available. I really like that one for the RV-10 and Van's made the choice easy.
For my RV-14A I'm thinking of using a C2YR-1BFP/F7497 unless some can recommend something different. I'm not planning on using a composite or three blade.
Not being versed on props what criteria would you need to help me with my decision?
Thanks Ron

This airplane is going to be a beast anyway on climb out so I would think if your average mission is going to be cross country traveling, a 2 blade adjusted for good economy would be what you want (are you going constant speed?)

I haven't flown in the prototype so I have no idea how loud it may or may not be. 3 blades tend to be a little quieter, less vibration and give you that extra climb performance but at a small performance sacrifice.

Why are you ordering now? Taking advantage of pricing or??

For my RV-14A I'm thinking of using a C2YR-1BFP/F7497

I can't say whether it is the best choice or the one that will be recommended in the future, but that is the prop that has been on the RV-14A prototype since it began flying.

Sterling in tech support requested this info from me recently for a customer (possibly you), and that is the information I gave him....

Prop choice:

I am choosing the blended airfoil Hartzell C2YR constant speed prop. It is the one on the prototype and is used on the IO 390 & IO 360. I am using the second, the IO360 with some HP mods to match or exceed the hp of the IO360.
And yes, this same prop is also a choice with the RV7. However, Vans is not offering the bundled engine and prop package to we 14 builders yet, as they require the fuselage kit to be purchased first, which is not yet available. When they do they will be the ones to talk to as well as get the very best deal.
Best wishes

Actually Bernard, as posted on VAF last week, Van's has had a change of heart and has made this one time exemption and is accepting orders now from builders that have both available kits purchased. Ordered my engine /prop combo yesterday. The Sun n Fun deal is on until May 2nd, Friday.

Great to b able to get the Van's deal!

Great Bob on being able to catch the deal! What a savings opportunity! In that I built my engine, there will not likely be the bundled price on the prop for me, but I'm sure Vans will have a great price on the prop anyway. I recently bought from Vans the light wt. Alternator kit and the prop governor, both good buys. They did not yet available the correct oil cooler, but were sizing it half way between their two others.

I am choosing the aluminum blended airfoil 74": c2yr-1bfp/f7497 (constant speed)
Is that the one you ordered. How much did they sell the prop for? They quoted $7,300.00 prior to this change in bundled pricing. :)
It's in their catalog pg. 22

Does your purchase include the spinner and mounting plate?

Last edited:
You save a total of $1000 if you buy the engine and prop together and it is my understanding the $1000 comes off the engine price as that is what is shown on the engine special sheet. Yes that is the same prop I ordered and I also paid $7300 , Van's posted price. I do believe the mounting plate and spinner will be included in the finish kit.

Prop price

Thx for the detailed information. I feel ok knowing that I would not have saved on the prop from Vans, but on the engine. Glad you were able to save $1K! No small number. Best wishes on the rest of your journey with the 14 project. I am trying to be patient awaiting the fuselage kit, doing the things that would be required of me later. Heading to Oshkosh too to do some hands on savings & visuals. Especially eager to see the latest Dynon & the Garmin Vans is now using in their 12s. Again though, I don't want to trip over a best price that Vans may be able to acquire for us!

Prop

We also ordered the engine with Sun & Fun pricing, hard to beat if 32500 is cheap, yikes! Prop is a different matter. I also called Hartzel looking for a 3 blade composite solution. They promised to look into it and get back to me, but no joy yet. I suspect we'll end up ordering the 2 blade metal constant speed soon to keep the package deal intact, but have my fingers crossed for a smooth, quiet, composite solution on this bird. At least its only $7500. Oh boy, gulp!

I thought the engine was $33500 if purchased without the prop? My understanding of the Sun n Fun special was both had to be purchased at the same time to get the discount. The special pricing was for a limited time also and that was May 2nd .

Prop

Yes, the prop and engine have to be ordered together. We got a short reprieve to see if Hartzel had an option, Vans got the money.

72" or 74" ?

Hey RVbuilder2002,
Can you answer me this one?

I see Ron went with the C2YR-1BFP/F7497. I was going to order today and Anne told me that the prototype has the C2YR-1BFP/F7497-2 on it, the 72" prop as opposed to the 74" prop.

Which one is truly correct? Do I want the 74" or the 72"? She said for taildraggers the 72" for sure, but said the 72" is what they have.

I don't want to order the wrong prop at $7300...

If I get the 74" will it give me at least the same ground clearance that my RV-10 has with it's 80" prop?

PS: If possible would love to have the answer a.s.a.p. Running out of time to order and get the discount.
Tim

Anne told me that the prototype has the C2YR-1BFP/F7497-2 on it, the 72" prop as opposed to the 74" prop.

The info Ann gave you is correct.

The static, empty airplane ground clearance on N214VA is 10.5 inches with that propeller. So the 74" should give you ~ 9.5 inches.

Any reason to go 74 then?

So Ron, you ordered the 74"?

Is there any reason pro or con either way, other than ground clearance, that I would choose a 72" over a 74" or vice versa? I mean, if they were exactly the same performance and operationally no different, wouldn't EVERYONE want the 72" and then why would the 74" even be offered?
Tim

They wont be exactly the same performance.
In theory, the 74 " has an advantage in the same way the higher aspect ratio (longer span) wing does when comparing two similar wing sections.

In theory, the longer prop. should be a bit more efficient in acceleration and climb, and a bit less so at high speed.

The actual differences are probably so close that it would be nearly lost in the data scatter if you did detailed flight testing to compare them both.

Other than that the 72 has a bit more ground clearance...
The 74 has an inch available for removal during tip repairs (needed because of damage received as a result of less ground clearance ;))....

So Ron, you ordered the 74"?

Is there any reason pro or con either way, other than ground clearance, that I would choose a 72" over a 74" or vice versa? I mean, if they were exactly the same performance and operationally no different, wouldn't EVERYONE want the 72" and then why would the 74" even be offered?
Tim

The 72" cannot be trimmed any shorter than 72". If you nick up the ends of a blade, that blade is finished/done for. The 74" is allowed to be trimmed down to as short as 72" if there is ever a need to remove some metal from the ends in a future prop overhaul to clean up the tips.

Other folks have reported that the 74" has slight better climb. I've flown behind the 74" on an RV-8 and there is more than ample ground clearance.

Cool, thanks for that. I think I'm going to go out and measure my RV-10's prop and see what clearance I have there. I wouldn't want to go less than what I have with that prop. The 72" I'm sure will do fine. Now if they only made a 73", you wouldn't have to field the question anymore.... :)

The funny thing I read was on the Van's site they say to use the 72" for tail draggers for clearance reasons. But Hartzell told me the opposite, because of course tail draggers usually have more clearance for the prop. But Anne said that once they're up on the mains they have less. It's just interesting to see the differences between what you would think is normal (which is what Hartzell told me) and what is stated by Van's.

Thanks again!
Tim

The funny thing I read was on the Van's site they say to use the 72" for tail draggers for clearance reasons. But Hartzell told me the opposite, because of course tail draggers usually have more clearance for the prop. But Anne said that once they're up on the mains they have less. It's just interesting to see the differences between what you would think is normal (which is what Hartzell told me) and what is stated by Van's.

I think Hartzels recommendation is biased to preventing damage during taxi,

and Van's recommendation is based on preventing damage while landing... based on personal experience of how some people fly (and the common knowledge that tail dragger RV's should only be wheel landed........... Hartzel probably doesn't know about that ;))

I measured the RV-10 tonight and found just shy of 8.5" clearance with that prop. So, either of these 2 props gives more than what I've been flying for over 1,000 hours now. So I am now leaning toward the 74". I guess tomorrow I'll just commit and be done with it.
Tim

Why order now?

Wondering why order now? Doesn't vans have same prop/engine sale every sun & fun as well as Oshkosh? If kits dribble out like the fuse kit you will have an engine that's been sitting too long before being run.
Look up lycoming service instruction 1094 C & D for max crate time of sitting engine.
Seems it would be better to have a fresh engine.
Tomorrow is last day of sale. Please let me know how wrong I am so I can order too!!!:eek::eek::confused:

Wondering why order now? Doesn't vans have same prop/engine sale every sun & fun as well as Oshkosh? If kits dribble out like the fuse kit you will have an engine that's been sitting too long before being run.
Look up lycoming service instruction 1094 C & D for max crate time of sitting engine.
Seems it would be better to have a fresh engine.
Tomorrow is last day of sale. Please let me know how wrong I am so I can order too!!!:eek::eek::confused:

What does SI1094 have to do with engine storage?:confused:

Sorry for the error on the service instruction number.

It is SI 1481B

This SI has to do with Lycoming engine pickle life in the factory packaging. either 60 days, or 180 days, and what steps have to be taken if going over the 180 day time.

I talked with a lycoming tech rep and he sent this to me.

Last edited:
You can go to google search and type in SI1481B and the Lycoming engine preserve limit times and instructions will come up.

Its dated February 8th 2008

Hope this helps.

I read SL 1481B and it appears it was written for warranty liability concearns as it only applies to factory new rebuilt or overhauled engines that were shipped preserved. My new IO-390 will be here in about six weeks and will be stored inside my air-conditioned house in a spare bed room; I guarantee it wont corrode anytime soon. I wasn't willing to take the chance and assume that Lycoming and Vans will give the same $4500-$5500 discount next year.

Ok you two. Very funny!:D I was starting to think living room if I ordered today, as the bedrooms are upstairs. Maybe disguise it as a new couch for the wife???:confused:

Doubt I can pull it off though. :(

Hope your builds are going well. I'm a first timer and enjoying the process. :)

Best,
Rich

Back