What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Tail/Cone Pointers

Cantzon

RV-14 Tail/Cone Discussion/Pics

Thought I would start this thread for a discussion of the construction of the tail section. On page 07-03 the Rudder Horn R-405PD as depicted shows 9 #30 holes on the part that attaches to the spar. In reality the rudder horn only has 7 #30 holes on the part that attaches to the spar. Although the plans do not mention this, the missing holes should be #30 match drilled (per vans technical support). Do the match drilling while completing step three on page 07-03.

Last edited:
I noticed this last evening and assumed I missed that step. I matched drilled the holes before riveting.

Apparently a few of the earlier kits inadvertently got shipped with a couple holes missing. It has been correct in the parts so it should not be a factor for most builders following the construction manual as supplied.

Thought I would start this thread for a discussion of the construction of the tail section. On page 07-03 the Rudder Horn R-405PD as depicted shows 9 #30 holes on the part that attaches to the spar. In reality the rudder horn only has 7 #30 holes on the part that attaches to the spar. Although the plans do not mention this, the missing holes should be #30 match drilled (per vans technical support). Do the match drilling while completing step three on page 07-03.

Thanks for the heads up. We have a "sticky" section at the beginning of this forum called Gotchas. If you have anything builders should watch out for, please list it there. As more threads are posted, your good advice gets buried, but that's a place to check periodically for "Gotchas". Thanks again for the heads up.

Finished a section

Finished the Rudder and VS this weekend. I am really impressed with the quality of this kit. I have not seen many pics of the tail/cone under construction. If you have a section complete, lets see it!
1z5j603.jpg

VS

Looks like a MOST interesting workshop! Nice work.

Here is the VS. The rudder will get finished up once a replacement part comes in…got tired machine counter sunk R-912 versus countersinking the lead weight. Sigh…first world problems! :p

dsc00231_med.jpeg

First time builder, having a blast!

Last edited:
VS Pic

VS looks great. I had to replace a part myself. I think everyone will replace something before its all over. Apparently that is part of the right of passage. :) Not looking forward to the part where I drill into my finger, but I am told we will all do that once, too!

I got the order new part, drilled finger, 3M wheeled finger all done within the first two days. Easy sailing now right? :)

Hmmmm. My horn and r-606pp do not have those holes. But the spar and R-00917 do have the extra two holes.

Also my plans do NOT show show them being used on page 7-03. But on 7-05 it shows em on the rivet pattern figure 2. So I back a page I go......

Thanks
Andrew

Rudder Riveting prior to prime

Sheet 7-5 shows clecoing and riveting the reinforcing plates and nut plates to the R902 spar but doesn't offer a disassemble debur and prime step until two pages later. I would think under those reinforcing plates would be a place to prime or does a good two part epoxy close that area up and make it a non-issue.

I just got my hobby air and AKZO and haven't even opened boxes yet. I was hoping to get more together prior to learning that skill set.

I am looking to build up my rudder to the instruction to prime on 7-07 and wonder if I am being to anal here. First time builder and engineer so you know how it goes. Everything is a big deal. At least now it is. I'll get comforable but need some advice. Searches didn't help until I found this thread. It's not in the gotchas either.

I am looking to build up my rudder to the instruction to prime on 7-07 and wonder if I am being to anal here. First time builder and engineer so you know how it goes. Everything is a big deal. At least now it is. I'll get comforable but need some advice. Searches didn't help until I found this thread. It's not in the gotchas either.

Umm, engineer, yep, too anal. Call Van's and ask for Ken. He will set you straight. Every time I thought I made a major mistake, Ken would say, "you're just building an airplane, it's not going to be perfect, build on!" Almost scolding me for caring about the quality of my work. Not really, but sometimes it seemed that way. Good luck and build on!

Back