What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AeroLED vs Whelen

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Now that I have reached the point of waiting on the fuselage, I am going to take the plunge and purchase the lights to install them, so I am not just waiting and bored. Does anyone have a strong preference on AeroLEDs vs. Whelen's or know which is better? I am also going with the Garmin G3X system, so I may purchase the ADAHRS and the AP servo to get everything hooked up and close the bottom skins. Suggestions/advice? Thanks.

I'm guessing that Van's will be including these items in their future kits, so you will be missing out on Van's pricing and also will take a hit on deleting items. Just guessing.

I don't think you could go wrong with either brand. I have seen some experimental lighting systems that were of questionable quality in the past, but the AeroLED lights are really nice. When I ordered my wings last month I opted for the lighting kit which included AeroLED lights. Check the RV-14 order form for current lighting kit pricing.

I'm guessing that Van's will be including these items in their future kits, so you will be missing out on Van's pricing and also will take a hit on deleting items. Just guessing.

Hey Ron,

I don't think the lights are included. They are listed as an option on the order form. When you order the tail kit, you can opt for the tail light and the same for the wings. I wonder how they address the landing/taxi lights. I know when you order the Whelen, they specify one for landing, one for taxi.

The 14 kits comes pre-cut leading edges and mount for the par 36 landing light. I have not seen the actual mount but several 14 owners have bought my Whelen lights for the par 36 mount. You can see the lights here.

Yes you are correct. There are 2 versions. One is a taxi light which gives a 30 degree beam spreader. The other is a landing light which gives you a 10 degree focused long distance beam.
Holler if you have any questions.

My Wehlens are already installed in my wings and tips. I liked the price at Oshkosh last year. If they work like they look, I'll be happy.

I will be ordering landing/taxi lights in the next two weeks. Still up in the air between the Sun Spots or the Whelen par 36 lights. Light output appears similar. The Whelen units are priced better if you do not want pulse light capability. If you do want pulse lights it may be worth going with the Sun Spots with the built in controllers vs having to buy and wire an external control unit. When I ordered my engine during OSH I talked to Vans and they said the landing light kit was still not available, maybe I will check in again since the prices from them should be good.

so Van's will sell a landing light kit?

I did purchase the nag lights from van's yesterday. I was just getting to the point where I want to get the wings complete and I want all the lights in place before putting the wings into storage.

thanks
ken

The drawings list the optional landing light kit as OP-52. A few weeks ago it was not ready. I have looked at the wiring harness and while the drawings show the pin-out of each connector, they do not have a full schematic that shows where each wire goes and how it connect. The pre-fabed branch of the harness that connects to the landing lights has three wires. I assume one of these wires is to connect to the pulse connection of a Sun Spot landing light with built-in pulse controller, but without a full schematic it is just a guess.

Hey Stoney.

Are you looking for lights for both the tail and the wings?

I'm curious as to whether most folks that have purchased the tail kit, also purchased the lights with it? I talked with Vans and seems to make little, if any, difference if you install them after the kit is built.

Like you, I'm curious about comparing those brands.

Last edited:
Hahaha. Took me a while to figure out what the heck you meant by that. Remind me never to stand next to Mike anywhere there may be prop blast!:eek:

Last edited:
Lights

Hey Stoney.

Are you looking for lights for both the tail and the wings?

I'm curious as to whether most folks that have purchased the tail kit, also purchased the lights with it? I talked with Vans and seems to make little, if any, difference if you install them after the kit is built.

Like you, I'm curious about comparing those brands.

I haven't purchased any of the lights yet. It was going to just to give me something to do while I wait for the fuselage to be delivered, but the technology is changing so fast, I thought I would just wait since I'm not closing up the bottom skins yet. The lights won't hold me up since I don't anticipate it taking more than a day to install all of them. I've been spending my spare time investigating engines. Should I go with Van's as is, or have one built to spec. I really like the EFII system, but how big the price difference is, will be a determining factor. Trying to decide by 08/31/2014 to take advantage of the $1,000 discount if I choose to go with Van's Lycoming.

I haven't purchased any of the lights yet. It was going to just to give me something to do while I wait for the fuselage to be delivered, but the technology is changing so fast, I thought I would just wait since I'm not closing up the bottom skins yet. The lights won't hold me up since I don't anticipate it taking more than a day to install all of them. I've been spending my spare time investigating engines. Should I go with Van's as is, or have one built to spec. I really like the EFII system, but how big the price difference is, will be a determining factor. Trying to decide by 08/31/2014 to take advantage of the $1,000 discount if I choose to go with Van's Lycoming.

Stoney, the Vans discount offered during OSH is more like $4500 less than current Vans pricing which is already well below Lycomings list price. The extra $1000 off is offered if you purchase a prop and engine at the same time. The Lycoming rep I talked to said to expect a considerable price increase next year. I am not sure the discount is still available, I thought it was only good the week of the show.

Stoney, the Vans discount offered during OSH is more like $4500 less than current Vans pricing which is already well below Lycomings list price. The extra $1000 off is offered if you purchase a prop and engine at the same time. The Lycoming rep I talked to said to expect a considerable price increase next year. I am not sure the discount is still available, I thought it was only good the week of the show.

The discount is typically good for a few weeks after the show - 30 days maybe? It is certainly worth a call to Barbara to see what the official Vans word is. I also ordered mine after a show.

Just having fun with ya. Post #17 says you purchased a kilt or rather kilts. Just the click of a button extra we all know but I just could not pass up the chance to be a smart ###.

The discount is typically good for a few weeks after the show - 30 days maybe? It is certainly worth a call to Barbara to see what the official Vans word is. I also ordered mine after a show.

Anne is the only person who would talk to me about ordering an engine for an RV-14, everyone else said they would not sell engines until the complete kit is released. They were only "allowed to sell engines during the air shows to -14 builders because Lycoming allowed -14 builders to take advantage of the special"

Just having fun with ya. Post #17 says you purchased a kilt or rather kilts. Just the click of a button extra we all know but I just could not pass up the chance to be a smart ###.

Aye, I looked at what I wrote a couple of times and still did not catch the kilts! Not feeling too swift today either! Dang autocorrect on my Ipad made me say things I didn't Nintendo!

Engine Discount

Per Van's, the discount is good through August 31st. I was going to order during the show, but they said no rush, I have til the end of the month. Van's website says through August 31st. They also said if you have ordered the fuselage, you will qualify for ordering the engine. And yes, the discount is if you order the engine and the prop together. I know Van's price is really good, just trying to figure out if the EFII will save me money over the long haul. And increased performance, that would be good too!

Back