What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie Question about nut plates

YoVuelo

I'm working on the rudder and got stuck on Pg7-05 Step 2 with riveting the nut plates to the reinforcement plates. The nut plates called out are K1000-6 and are to be riveted with AN470AD4-X rivets. My question is about the size of the holes in the nut plates. The mounting holes appear to be sized for a 3/32" rivet. As the drawing calls out 1/8" rivets, does one just drill out the holes in the nut plates for the larger rivet? If so, I'm assuming that this would apply throughout the build when this type of "conflict" occurs.
Thanks for indulging one of the newbies on the block...

I'm not building a '14 but I would first suspect a typo. I don't think there's a reason the plans would call for a larger rivet into a nutplate. I've never seen it in the '10 plans.

I would agree, a #6 screw would not need a -4 rivet. I use the -3 NAS rivets for all my nut plates anyway.

Correction - it is an AN6 plate.

Good Catch, always read and double check the instructions. And check the nut plates - sometimes they get mixed up - once all is closed up it is a bad time to find out.

Last edited:
I'm just about finished with building an RV-14A and have never had to drill out a nut plate for a larger rivet.

OK, I'm the goat here... I kept searching as it really didn't make sense to me either. I was looking at P/N K1000-06 (6-32)and I should have been after P/N K1000-6 (3/8"). That sneaky little "0" got in there to bite me. :eek:

Back