What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Starter Recommendations for IO-320 160 HP

ssokol

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Well, my starter decided to die this evening. Fortunately I was at a neighboring field. Any suggestions for a replacement? The engine is by Aero Sport Power of Canada. From what I recall, the starter is original to the build in 2001.

Thanks!

-S

Most install a SkyTech or BandC brand. There are several to choose from, with varying weight and robustness (if that is a word).

If I had your engine with standard compression, I'd go with one of the lighter versions - unless you need more weight for CG concerns.

Last edited:
A semi-religious topic

From perusing the archives it looks like starters are another semi-religious topic in the RV community. I talked it over with a couple of friends here in the KC area and decided to spend a few extra bucks on the B&C.

The weight differential (10.2 vs 17.2 pounds) frees up enough weight I can now install my ~5 pound EarthX backup battery, mounting bracket, and cabling on the firewall without too much concern for altering the W&B.

Starter recomendations

I would recommend the Sky-Tec 149-NL for a 14V system or even better but only offered for 28V systems is the 149-NL/EC. I ran these starters at a flight school on a dozen+ aircraft with good results. Russ

Starter Recommendations

The SkyTec NL starter or the B&C starter are the two that have held up the best / lasted the longest / broke the least.

Night and day

Amazing how much better a modern starter works. Swapped in the B&C and WOW - it spins the prop at least twice as fast. Cold start was probably no more than 3 or 4 blades. Hot start took a couple of seconds, but much better than before.

Thanks, VAF!

Back