What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting to fixed pitch redux, again

SgtZim

Well Known Member
Hi all. I know this subject has been around for a while - I searched and read all the old posts I think.

I am interested in any recent experiences with this job and any difficulties that might have come up doing the conversion or in service. Has anyone rented the Lycoming tool for seating the new expansion plug? Lycoming said I should be able to rent one from Aviall or AirPower for a nominal charge.

One intriguing idea that has been posted a few times - that if you have the correct cover plate for the governor pad - that will allow oil to flow back into the sump (in theory) that none of the SI 1435 needs to be done - oil pressure will not build up (in theory) at the front of the crankshaft. One person wrote that he talked with a couple of Lycoming engineers who said this would be ok, but when you call the company, they will not approve such a (non) procedure / circumventing SI 1435. I also just talked to their support folks who do not condone this.

To summarize what Lycoming told me: The front plug should come out after you punch a hole in the center. Punch a hole 1/8 to 3/16 in the aft plug per the SI. Seat the new plug - rent their tool for best results.

Thanks for any input / advice on this - this is something I want to go right the first time. :)

Back