What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I survived the FRZ

JordanGrant

Well Known Member
Here?s a plug for Potomac Airfield (KVKX). After a bit of paperwork over about 3 weeks, I got my PIN for entering the FRZ around the DC area. The procedures involve an extra phone call or two, but NBD when you know how to do it. I have to go to DC for meetings once or twice a month, so having a way to fly 50 minutes instead of drive 3+ hrs on I-95 makes it totally worth it! The icing on the cake is Potomac Airfield. They have a brand-new runway and ramp, the grass around the field is immaculate, you can park for free, and it?s only a 25 minute Uber ride from the field to the Pentagon area. Highly recommended for those that need to visit the area.

If anyone is wondering about it, I?m now a FRZ veteran so I?m happy to answer questions!

VKX is a great place to visit (even if it's only to say you flew in the FRZ!). Procedures can be a bit scary for those that don't fly around here a lot, but it's really not that bad and truly the closest GA airport for the city if you are willing to get an UBER/Taxi.
College park has a metro close by but is on the other side of the city /FRZ.

Here?s a plug for Potomac Airfield (KVKX). After a bit of paperwork over about 3 weeks, I got my PIN for entering the FRZ around the DC area. The procedures involve an extra phone call or two, but NBD when you know how to do it. I have to go to DC for meetings once or twice a month, so having a way to fly 50 minutes instead of drive 3+ hrs on I-95 makes it totally worth it! The icing on the cake is Potomac Airfield. They have a brand-new runway and ramp, the grass around the field is immaculate, you can park for free, and it?s only a 25 minute Uber ride from the field to the Pentagon area. Highly recommended for those that need to visit the area.

If anyone is wondering about it, I?m now a FRZ veteran so I?m happy to answer questions!
I?ll be hitting you up for some info next spring as I?m hoping to fly into VKX next June for a conference at National Harbor.

Back