What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solder Flux Constructed Air Distribution

MJarreau

Well Known Member
I use copper lines that have soldered joints for air distribution in the shop. I was going to add a port to dedicate to priming (no oil) with a 1/4 inch quick connect (as opposed to the 3/8 inch used for tools). When disassembling the related sections of copper pipe, there was green "stuff" in the pipe. I can only guess this is some form of corrosion. I'm not certain this is anywhere other than near the soldiered joints.

I have not started priming (ALMOST ready). Do I need to be concerned with what I found in the pipes contaminating the primer?

Thanks,
Mike

Copper rust

I use copper lines that have soldered joints for air distribution in the shop. I was going to add a port to dedicate to priming (no oil) with a 1/4 inch quick connect (as opposed to the 3/8 inch used for tools). When disassembling the related sections of copper pipe, there was green "stuff" in the pipe. I can only guess this is some form of corrosion. I'm not certain this is anywhere other than near the soldiered joints.

I have not started priming (ALMOST ready). Do I need to be concerned with what I found in the pipes contaminating the primer?

Thanks,
Mike

Rust
Similar process as Iron Oxide or Aluminum Oxide. Copper Carbonate forms in the presence of air. In the case of copper, it doesn't weaken the metal like iron oxide.

If using HVLP, for priming, you want the larger fitting and hose.
Some here may comment on using copper for high pressure. Be safe.

Wirejock explained the green "stuff".
I always used copper lines for all my compressed air needs with several quick
Disconnect outlets all over the shop. The outlet for painting/priming has a filter
and regulator and a seperate set of hoses just for painting.
Copper pipes are tight and will not splinter in the event of a burst as opposed to PVC but I see both are used in industrial applications with pressures up to 120psi.
The key to clean painting is a seperate set of hoses from the filter to the spray gun.

I work in heavy industry, no problem with the safety issues. The compressor runs at 150 MAX, all components are properly rated. We have a water separator, an oil filter, and regulator. The plan is for air on the 1/4 inch line to be used for priming only with dedicated hoses, all other tools to use the 3/8 inch.

I was only concerned about contamination of the primer.... With the rust, it does not sound like a presence of oil/grease.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Mike

Rather than downsizing the dedicated line for painting, you can equip the line with a male quick disconnect with some sort of valve to shut off the air to it. Then make up a dedicated painting hose with two female ends. You won't be able to hook that hose up to your regular line outlets by mistake.

Cheers, David

I believe your (OP) question is about the contamination progressing through the spray gun when painting primer? If so, you will want a desiccant and filter at (or near) the paint gun anyway. This will address any water vapor or particle contamination for the painting/priming process.

Last edited:
Back