What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Long term Tie-down Tips

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
Well it looks like a year from now we'll be moving to Ft Myers, FL. The bad news is there's a 3-year wait list for hangars at Page (FMY). So no matter what, my RV-10 will have to live outside for a prolonged period of time (I'm still not sure how to break this news to her :p)

So for those who tie their planes down on the ramp, are there any products that I should be looking into (especially with OSH coming up) to help my 10 survive the FL climate until a hangar opens up?

I have a good gust lock (Anti-Splat Aero), cowl plugs, and a Bruce's Custom Cover (but it's a travel cover):
35050530575_b6da87f0a9_h.jpg

Note: this is an old pic, she has since been painted.

Last edited:
Bruce's thicker cover would be a must in my opinion. The thicker material has several advantages. Will the airport let you keep a small box on the ramp next to your plane? Some places allow this, and you can put your cover, tow bar and other things there when you go fly.

Bruce's thicker cover would be a must in my opinion. The thicker material has several advantages. Will the airport let you keep a small box on the ramp next to your plane? Some places allow this, and you can put your cover, tow bar and other things there when you go fly.

Joel,
Good question -- I'll ask.

i might be able to help you out next summer at least. there is a guy on the field that goes north for the summer and sublets his hanger. its filled this summer but i will bet he will rent it to another RV-er next summer, he has a 6. stop by my hanger when you get down here A-59 south side.

as for being tied down at page, get at least a good canopy cover. the sun is brutal on interiors here. you will need to wash it every week due to the birds and the distance to the salt water. page gets a little picky about working on them on the ramp so if you need to do some work get hold of me and you can use my hanger for the day.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Drain Holes

You will need to drill some drain holes in the fuselage to drain out water. I asked Vans where and they said to just drill where water is found standing.

Add a simple/cheap alarm system? I rigged up a portable canopy alarm using a cheap, but LOUD home door alarm. The alarm has a pull-pin that activates the alarm -- I connect the pull-pin to a lanyard that is loosely attached to an inside point on the canopy. When the canopy (or door) is opened more than an inch or two, the alarm sounds. Since it is a home-brew design, I figure that the common thief won't notice it. Hopefully, the shrill/LOUD alarm will discourage their interest in my plane. On my former Starduster II biplane, I attached the lanyard to the mixture control. Who knows if this alarm will prove effective, but I sleep better at night. ;)

Here's the very basics on how to tie a plane down correctly.

It only matters if the winds might exceed say 40 kts. Still, if you'd like your plane to be there when you return, do it this way. And while you're at it, make sure that your tie down neighbors have done it correctly, too, of one of those planes can blow into yours.

Dave

I had my -9 tied down for a year outside before I got a hangar and purchased the full set of Bruce's covers with the hail protection foam sewed inside. Not cheap, but when well tied down, I didn't have too much concern when a storm hit.

The only other thing I would do in hindsight is trying out one of those dehumidifier buckets to try to keep the humidity down in the cockpit. The covers, while very good, are not completely waterproof.

Todd since you are tied down in Florida your ropes won't freeze so you don't need chains. As was already mentioned the ropes must be tight and knots should be secure. Control surfaces have to be locked with special attention to the rudder. Nearly three years I am parked under the elements and winds at my parking spot are 80% quartering tail. I lock the controls from inside and out. Remember the Florida birds eject very toxic poop if you have a clear coat it could be ruined on the rudder. Birds can also build a nest if you don't fly often. You have to close the space between exhaust pipes. I hope you get a hangar soon. Fancy Bruce cover would last you about three years then you need to shell mnogo roubles for another one. :)

squeal%20-%201.jpg

From your photo, many of your fiberglass parts are uncoated. Epoxy resin is degraded by UV light, especially the intense dosage in Florida. You might consider getting some primer and paint on your glass parts to protect them from the nasty UV rays.

From your photo, many of your fiberglass parts are uncoated. Epoxy resin is degraded by UV light, especially the intense dosage in Florida. You might consider getting some primer and paint on your glass parts to protect them from the nasty UV rays.

As I posted (look at the bottom of the pic) that's an old photo I took last year on a trip and is the only one that I have that shows my current cover and cowl plugs. My plane is now painted which is really why I started this thread in the first place as I want to protect the paint to the maximum extent possible until a hangar opens up.

Now the good news is we aren't moving until next summer(2018) so my plane will get another year of living in a hangar here in Virginia.

Last edited:
The humidity and salt air conditions here are hard on the airframe. You might consider treating the fuselage with Corosion X. That creates a corrosion barrier thats good for around five years. Also, you do not want to apply Corrosion X to a recent paint job. At KPGD I know there are snow birds who rent out their hanger for the summer and fall (June to around November) so you might be able to minimize the outside exposure to the winter months.

Last edited:
Add a simple/cheap alarm system? I rigged up a portable canopy alarm using a cheap, but LOUD home door alarm. The alarm has a pull-pin that activates the alarm -- I connect the pull-pin to a lanyard that is loosely attached to an inside point on the canopy. When the canopy (or door) is opened more than an inch or two, the alarm sounds. Since it is a home-brew design, I figure that the common thief won't notice it. Hopefully, the shrill/LOUD alarm will discourage their interest in my plane. On my former Starduster II biplane, I attached the lanyard to the mixture control. Who knows if this alarm will prove effective, but I sleep better at night. ;)

i wouldnt worry about it at fmy. havent heard of any problems in the 10 years ive been there.

bob burns
rv-4 n82rb

Tie down straps?

My airplane is in a hangar, but when I travel and the airplane is tied down overnight I use tie down straps. So much easier than rope and knots. Is there a problem with using tie down straps?

Michael-

Depends

What's the working and ultimate load on the tie down straps?

Do the tie down straps have safety snaps or "S" hooks?
"S" hooks are one jostle away from coming undone.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

Other airports

I know this isn't any of my business but did you look at other airports in the area. I drive 50 miles, one way, to get to my hanger. I do this about twice, sometimes three times per week. At first it felt like a long drive but I've gotten use to it. I have different reasons for driving so far to an airport since there is at least 3 to 4 that are closer in distance, but I rather drive an hour and have a hanger than to drive 5 minutes and park on the ramp. I've owned planes in the past where I had to park on the ramp and the weather just destroys the plane, especially in the salty air of Florida.

Todd,

With a year to plan, there is an easy solution to your problem. Just by a house in an airpark. :D

bob

When I lived in Cape Coral and got my first plane, we kept it at KPGD until a hangar opened up at KFMY. The drive isn't bad and the hangars in Punta Gorda are fantastic. Just a thought if you want to check it out.
Cheers,
David

Todd,

With a year to plan, there is an easy solution to your problem. Just by a house in an airpark. :D

bob

That would be the ideal solution -- and there are at least 4 of them that I know of in the vicinity of Ft Myers--3 of which we've actually visited. Unfortunately, it's not in the cards for the time being. :(

When I lived in Cape Coral and got my first plane, we kept it at KPGD until a hangar opened up at KFMY. The drive isn't bad and the hangars in Punta Gorda are fantastic. Just a thought if you want to check it out.
Cheers,
David

I've already put in inquires to PDG and La Belle (X14) on this very subject as well as having received some PMs about PDG. I've also looked into Naples but their wait list and charges seem as bad or worse than FMY to me based upon what they've posted on their website.

S-Hooks

What's the working and ultimate load on the tie down straps?

Do the tie down straps have safety snaps or "S" hooks?
"S" hooks are one jostle away from coming undone.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

As an FYI, I transport 4 dirt bikes on a trailer all the time with S-Hooks, and the bouncing around of the bikes always had me worried that the S-Hooks would come off. This is easily rectified though by taking a proper length bungy cord and latching it to the closed ends of the s-hook on each side. The constant pressure ensures the S-Hook is always pulled tight against the ground / aircraft tie-down points. Yeah it's an extra step, but I have never had a strap come off.

I'd tell you to contact Airglades airport (2IS).... But the new management has been skipping people on the "wait list".

I drive 1.3 hours to get to my plane. But it was worth it because the airport was great and I only flew on weekends anyway. I was just offered a place at an airport close to me... I am actually thinking about it since 2IS wants to raise gas prices, rent etc to "match" the coasts.... Uh, you are not on the coasts so you can't get ocean front prices.

But you are making the right moves, put your name on a bunch of lists and wait. I'll answer your other question in your other thread.

Back