What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bad USB port

kritsher

Well Known Member
My Skyview doesn't seem to recognize USB drives inserted into the port below the panel. I've tried with two different USB sticks, both of which work fine in multiple PCs.

One the drives has an LED indicator on it which lights up when it gets power. With this stick, the LED flickers as I insert it into the plane and if I move the drive around in the port, but it doesn't stay on long enough for the Skyview system to recognize the drive. I assume I have a bad USB port in my plane. I haven't yet opened up the panel to see if the other USB ports in the Skyview are working.

Has anyone else ever seen this happen?

Does anyone know the best place to start looking for a replacement USB port part? Van's? Dynon? Stein?

I noticed that the supplied usb would work, then sometimes not. If you look on the back of the skyview, there are 2 other USB ports. I got a 3 foot extension cable, and ran it from the back of skyview into the map box. No more issues. I drilled a hole large enough in the map box and installed a rubber snap bushing for the usb cable. Simple.

I put a USB port in the panel just above the screen. Bought a 9" USB lead on eBay and plugged it directly into the back of the Skyview. Cheap and works well. I recall others saying that the standard port mounted under the panel seemed to be a bit temperamental. Mine's installed, but I've never used it.

I had the same experience (intermittence of the panel connector - even got a replacement one from Stein) and did the same extension cable solution. I routed the cable into the glove box. I leave a USB stick in it all the time and at the end of each flight I download the logs.

You also need a USB stick inserted to take screen snapshots - and the downward facing port under the panel would be awkward (and likely result in a broken USB stick.) My keyring has a small USB stick on it for loading software updates.

Should I ever go to two screens, I would take short extension cables from each and route them to under the panel, but snugged with cable ties so they would point horizontal rather than vertically down.

Same problem.
I installed two short usb panel mount cables (cheap on eBay);

KWUU102-1.jpg

Unrecognized USB port

I have had the exact same problem as expressed with the Skyview not recognizing the USB thumb drive with the under panel port for software updates. The ones on the back of the Skyview work fine. Bought a new USB port from Stein and spliced and soldered it in. Did not fix it. Vans said check continuity from pins 16/17/18/19 on EFIS. Looks like it is not EFIS but the catch all AV-5000A box that the harness connects to. I'm scared to touch that again since when new the stall horn did not work and I had to have my plane down for about a month while they repaired it. Anyone dive into this enough to determine if this is another AV-5000A box problem? I'm out of warranty now and I trust Stein more than that box so I'm going with the USB extension wire unless someone knows a fix without having Vans repair the box.

Are you sure it goes directly to the Skyview? Check drawing 42C-02 that shows it going to the 50-pin D-Sub "EFIS" that connects to the AV-5000A. That is the way it looks by following the wires when the Skyview is removed.

Last edited:
usb port

If you buy a extra usb port ext. , make sure its a USB 2. I tried the USB3 cable and it did not work. The USB2 cable did.

Scott Millhouse,
Was there continuity between SkyView display pins 16/17/18/19 and the USB socket? The USB socket numbers 1,2,3,4 on Van's schematic do not match up with standard USB pinouts. That makes me wonder if the schematic is labeled wrong or if the USB socket is actually wired wrong. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
Standard USB pinout:
1 RED +5 Volts 16
2 WHITE Data -18
3 GREEN Data +19
4 BLACK GND 17

Receptacle Picture:
113px-USB_Type-A_receptacle.svg.png

You also need a USB stick inserted to take screen snapshots - and the downward facing port under the panel would be awkward (and likely result in a broken USB stick.)

Bill ... I too was worried about breaking the typical USB flash drive plugged into the USB port under the instrument panel (at this point mine is working flawlessly so continue to use it) and was lucky to locate some tiny PNY 32G flash drives. Picked up two of the ones shown in the photo below and rotate them every month as map updates come along. I placed a rivet next to the flash drive for a visual size comparison.
DSC02433.JPG

Are you sure it goes directly to the Skyview
Pretty sure. I suspect that the USB wires from the SkyView go into the backshell of the EFIS D-Sub on the AV-50000A. But the USB wires do not actually connect to the AV-50000A. Instead, they make a U turn, come back out of the backshell and connect to the USB receptacle. That is my unverified theory. You can check it out yourself by taking the backshell apart.

Are you sure it goes directly to the Skyview? Check drawing 42C-02 that shows it going to the 50-pin D-Sub "EFIS" that connects to the AV-5000A. That is the way it looks by following the wires when the Skyview is removed.
I see what you are looking at. It is a visual anomaly. Reference the Vans Skyview schematic and you will see a direct termination to 16,17,18,19 of the 37 pin Dsub at Skyview. I had to run wires from my co pilot Skyview for USB to update new versions to second screen.

I noticed that the supplied usb would work, then sometimes not. If you look on the back of the skyview, there are 2 other USB ports. I got a 3 foot extension cable, and ran it from the back of skyview into the map box. No more issues. I drilled a hole large enough in the map box and installed a rubber snap bushing for the usb cable. Simple.
Me too. Works great.

24wbp14.jpg

90viix.jpg

dfzmvk.jpg

346126g.jpg

Back