What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Page 29-14 step 8 - define "fuselage"

iamtheari

Well Known Member
This step says to "rivet the side skin to the fuselage, firewall, and all parts clecoed in Step 5 and Step 6." The term "fuselage" is a little vague here. I am inferring that all of the rivets shown on page 29-16 that are not marked either "do not rivet" or "do not rivet until..." are to be riveted at this point.

That would include the upper and lower longerons, bottom skin lap joints, rivets that will become hidden by the flap block bracket, etc. Basically, with this step along with the remaining steps on page 29-14 and the riveting steps on page 29-15, the side skins will have been completely riveted into place forward of where the tailcone attachment occurs.

Does anyone have a different interpretation?

This step also says to back rivet the flush rivets where practical. Without a very complicated rotisserie setup, I can't figure out which rivets it would be practical to back rivet at this point. It's just a weird step, altogether.

Thanks for the tips on the back rivet bucking bar. So far, so good without it but I can imagine there are times when it's easier to go that way, especially working solo. And I can see the benefit of doing the wing skins that way as shown in Cleaveland's picture.

What about the scope of riveting to be done at this point?

Thanks for the tips on the back rivet bucking bar. So far, so good without it but I can imagine there are times when it's easier to go that way, especially working solo.

Actually, Back riveting wing or fuselage skins is best done in tandem with a helper.

It can improve finish quality but doing it solo would have a high risk of reducing finish quality.

Back