What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 New Panel signal wiring diagrams

bomber_JB

I've built a RV-7A. My son-in-law and I are just starting an RV-10. We know the panel is down the road but we're considering it now. We've settled on most of the panel components and can hire it done but want to do it ourselves.
Where would we find schematics or signal wiring diagrams that connect Garmin products like:

Two Garmin G3X touch screen with interface module
Garmin COM
Garmin autopilot
Garmin Audio panel
Garmin GTN 625 GPS/MAP
Garmin GTX 45 transponder
G5 EFIS

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry,

LEOK did a great job of laying out a lot of the process in his thread referenced above. And it is obvious from his posting that he attended the AEA class that is specific to the G3X installation (http://www.aea.net/Training/courses/exp/ ). I think they hold the class about twice a year. I took it last year and highly recommend it if you are planning to wire your own panel.

You might want to consider having a shop cut your panel for you. I just received my cut panel from Aerotronics, and they did a great job of working with me on the design, and then cutting it. I also purchased my components from them. I believe Stein will do the same thing, and both are very well regarded for their work.

As stated above, don't make any final decisions or purchases of your avionics until you are nearly complete with your build. The advances in avionics are rapid, and so today's equipment may be obsolete in just a couple of years. I had spent some time doing a high level design of the LRUs and thought I knew what I was going to install early last year, and within about 6 months Garmin came out with several new LRUs with a new magnetometer and new transponders with ADS-B in included. Had to change my design, and was sure glad I hadn't purchased the equipment yet.

Having said that, I did purchase the mounting kits for the autopilot servos about 18 months ago so that I could install the kits before closing the bottom wing skin (roll servo) and installing the cabin top (pitch and yaw servos behind the baggage bulk head). I also ran wiring in the wings and to the tail cone, including spare wires and conduit space, and I've used the space and a few spares already. So there are ways to do some pre-install work without too much risk of obsolescence.

Good luck with your RV-10 build.

Thanks to all

We sincerely appreciate all of the replies to our request. Great guidance and assistance.

Jerry

If you want to do it yourself, consider the Approach Fast Stack Pro Hub product. It is a customized wiring hub and wire harness set for just about any combination of products you can come up with.

After you have selected your panel components you just tell the knowledgeable folks at Approach Fast Stack what you have. They generally know and will advise you how exactly you want them connected for specific functionality, or will follow your instructions.

You will get a hub and wiring harnesses for each component. The harnesses will all connect to the hub where all/most of the signal connections are made. You will also get complete detailed documentation of how everything is connected (extremely useful down the line). If you later add or change a component, a new harness can be supplied that will simply plug into your hub.

I flew my '10 back in 2011. I never regretted any aspect of going with the hub. All that's really left for you to do is connect power pigtails to your electrical system (and doing the rest of the electrical system). It eliminates a massive amount of work while still leaving a satisfying amount of work to do. Having a Stein or Aeroelectronics do it is one way, this is another way at a lower cost. I've always wondered why more people don't go down this route.

BTW, I was going to have someone cut my panel for me but I found that with a grinder, drill press and hand files, the job went quickly and easily. Very satisfying! The key here is to do a good layout.

I worked a bit with Stein and Aeroelectronics - both great resources!

Here's a look at my (aged) panel:
Kitlog panel page

Back