What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LEMO jack wiring without old jacks

AAflyer

Well Known Member
I'm wiring my RV-8, & I will not be using the old-style headset jacks, and am a little confused as to how to substitute the Bose LEMO jacks that I recently acquired. My Skyview harness has 4, shielded 3-conductor wires that I need to wire to my 6-pin LEMO jack. The LEMO harness has 2, shielded, 2-conductor wires along with 2 pigtails that come from each of the shields, AND a red power AND a black ground.
My biggest confusion stems from all the grounds?and how to incorporate 2 PTT switches in my grips.
As far as the shields and grounds?do I need to splice the shields of the Dynon harness and the Bose harness so that it essentially creates a continuous shield from the jack all the way back to the interphone box? And should this ground be kept separate from the power ground??and the PTT grounding? Should all these grounds be plugged into the same grounding terminal?

Any chance someone can supply a wiring diagram that even a caveman can understand?
:confused:

Just curious -- no conventional headset plug-ins?

Would this mean that someone with only conventional headsets could not use the aircraft?

R.

I did exactly what you are proposing, and then ended up going back and adding the standard plug jacks later anyway to allow any headset to be used.

If you'll pull the wiring specs on your intercom it will show how the standard aircraft jacks are wired and will give labeling for the various wires. Now pull the LEMO wiring diagram that came with the LEMO jacks, and it will show how to wire them in parallel with the standard aircraft jacks. You'll have to interpret those two diagrams against each other to figure out which wire to put where and eliminate the standard jacks.

Before you do that however, I would encourage you to think real hard about that decision - the more I rolled it over in my head the more I came to the conclusion that I wanted both. It would never again be as easy to put them in as it is right now.

I have Bose LEMO plugs in my SuperCub and the standard plugs also. Been flying for eight years and I have yet to use the standard plugs. With that said if I had problems with a Bose headset and wanted to borrow a headset to fly with a passenger , it would probably be a standard jack set that would be available, so the spare jacks would come in handy then.
I would not fault anyone for choosing to omit the back up jacks.

Bose LEMO only

Fifteen years ago, I gave some thought to this very subject, and decided that anyone lucky enough for me to trust the Doll with could use one of my Bose X headsets! Now fourteen years later, that list of pilots has reached three, with DR himself being number three. I have not missed the standard mic/phone jacks a single minute!

A couple of years ago, after flying the Bose X headsets for twelve years, I dropped into Tina's Pilot Shop to checkout all of the new headsets, and see what I was missing with Lightspeed, Bose 20, and all the others she had on hand. By the way, Tina's has the best prices on headsets anywhere, and is located on my airport! 52F How convenient is that?

After evaluating all the new headsets I decided on the Bose 20. Tina sold the Bose X for me, and Builder Doll and I gave each other a very nice Christmas present that year. Of course, the new Bose 20 headsets plugged right into the old LEMO plugs just like the Bose X. Having the LEMO jacks supply the headsets with ships power with battery back up is the way to go!

If I had it to do over again, I still wouldn't bother with old mic/phone jacks.

Last edited:
For the rare time when a pilot friend *has* to bring his wizzbang4000 headset along on a flight, you can always use a LEMO to GA adapter. I'll be removing the GA jacks as well when my panel is upgraded.

I found it easy enough to install the traditional jacks. My thoughts:

1. Very little extra weight
  2. Handy if a fellow pilot wants to use their headsets
  3. Can use a standard headset as a backup if either my LEMO headset or ship power fails.
DSC01383.JPG

DSC01511.JPG

I agree.

I am sometimes sent headsets to evaluate and this way it doesn't matter which connector type they send me. Very simple to do and gives you a lot of flexibility.

Quick question on your wiring, looking at the top picture, looks like you omitted "shield wires" from Bose plug?
Do I see it correctly? How did it work for you?

I have standard plug wires phone and mic shielded and grounded at audio panel. Looks like I will not need to use Bose shields, right?

I found it easy enough to install the traditional jacks. My thoughts:

1. Very little extra weight
  2. Handy if a fellow pilot wants to use their headsets
  3. Can use a standard headset as a backup if either my LEMO headset or ship power fails.
DSC01383.JPG

DSC01511.JPG

I just ran across this thread again and noticed the old question. Kinda late, but... I didn't use the Lemo shields since the plugs are so close together. I didn't see a reason for an inch or so of shielding.

Hope your setup worked out!

Russ

I just ran across this thread again and noticed the old question. Kinda late, but... I didn't use the Lemo shields since the plugs are so close together. I didn't see a reason for an inch or so of shielding.

Hope your setup worked out!

Russ

It does work. I added LEMO jacks to my old RV-6 setup and wired the LEMO jack straight to the existing headphone and mic jacks. Only the Power wire runs forward. Been working great for over 150+ hours.

Back