What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP Request: PS Engineering PDA360EX

Canadian_JOY

Well Known Member
After searching around here I've found only one thread in which the PS Engineering PDA360EX was mentioned. I'm hoping a few folks here are flying this audio panel and would be able to provide a pirep.

At the moment we have a PMA8000B - I'm considering either the PDA360EX or the PMA8000BT as upgrade paths. The aircraft has dual nav/comms, as well as three independent unmuted audio sources from other equipment for aural warnings.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences with the PDA360EX.

After searching around here I've found only one thread in which the PS Engineering PDA360EX was mentioned. I'm hoping a few folks here are flying this audio panel and would be able to provide a pirep.

At the moment we have a PMA8000B - I'm considering either the PDA360EX or the PMA8000BT as upgrade paths. The aircraft has dual nav/comms, as well as three independent unmuted audio sources from other equipment for aural warnings.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences with the PDA360EX.

I upgraded from a PMA7000B to the PDA360EX earlier this year. It was a complete re-wire as the PDA360EX uses the same tray as the Garmin GMA340 audio panel, which meant (happily) swapping the kludgy molex connectors for DSUB pins. The audio panel is amazing. Works better than I ever expected it to being driven by a GTN650 and a GTR200. Need another reason? PDA stands for "Paul Dye Audio panel", as Paul had a lot of influence with PS Engineering when they created it (unofficial information, provided by the fine folks at PSE).

You certainly won't be disappointed, and wiring to the GMA340 tray standards gives you easier upgrade paths in the future.

My installation blog entry: http://www.rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=1338

I upgraded from a PMA7000B to the PDA360EX earlier this year. It was a complete re-wire as the PDA360EX uses the same tray as the Garmin GMA340 audio panel, which meant (happily) swapping the kludgy molex connectors for DSUB pins. The audio panel is amazing. Works better than I ever expected it to being driven by a GTN650 and a GTR200. Need another reason? PDA stands for "Paul Dye Audio panel", as Paul had a lot of influence with PS Engineering when they created it (unofficial information, provided by the fine folks at PSE).

As with a lot of equipment I have had the privilege of trying out before it hit the market, I made a few suggestions as to the user interface - but the real brains behind all of the PSE panels is Mark Scheuer. I was gratified that he took some of my ideas and made them work. What I suggested were a few button and software changes to make the operation simpler and to more precisely meet what experimental builders generally need.

Paul

Last edited:
Two years with mine, zero problems. Sound quality is great, interface is easy to use.

I?ll install one in the next airplane for sure.

Thanks, Paul and Dru, for your additional input. From an IFR flight perspective would you assess this audio panel to be sufficient? Our current PMA8000B has a marker beacon receiver. I don't know about in the US but here in Canada marker beacons have pretty much gone the way of the Dodo...

With capacity for two comms and two navs, I'm just trying to figure out what, if anything, the PDA360 might be missing to suit my needs?

(Current audio sources are an SL30, GNS480, GRT HX EFIS and AF2500 engine monitor, as well as a CO Guardian carbon monoxide detector.)

I?m pretty sure your 480 has all the ILS OM locations in its database. Here in the US that would make it an approved substitute for a MB receiver.

Also, a lot of OMs are being replaced by a VOR cross fix. Perfect for your SL30/HX combo, which, as I?m sure you know, can simultaneously display the ILS and cross fix VOR on your HX?s HSI page. I usually split the screen, primary-HSI.

Thanks, Paul and Dru, for your additional input. From an IFR flight perspective would you assess this audio panel to be sufficient? Our current PMA8000B has a marker beacon receiver. I don't know about in the US but here in Canada marker beacons have pretty much gone the way of the Dodo...

With capacity for two comms and two navs, I'm just trying to figure out what, if anything, the PDA360 might be missing to suit my needs?

(Current audio sources are an SL30, GNS480, GRT HX EFIS and AF2500 engine monitor, as well as a CO Guardian carbon monoxide detector.)

I haven't had a MB receiver in an airplane for years - dont miss them at all (in the US - can't speak of Canada).

The 360 should easily handle two Comms and Two Navs - plus music and other sources. I told Mark when he was working on it that is about what most pilots need (IFR or VFR).

Paul

Thank you, gentlemen, for your excellent responses. I'm still sitting on the fence in choosing between an 8000BT and the 360. I'll likely scratch my head over this until I get slivers... :)

One thing is certain, the choice of an audio panel from PS Engineering is simply not in question. A few months ago I had a question concerning our PMA8000B so I wrote an email to the PS Engineering support email address. I received a reply within a few hours from none other than Mark Scheuer himself. He was courteous and provided the necessary technical information as well as words of encouragement. All of this on a Saturday evening. While PS Engineering and Garmin audio panels might be pin-for-pin compatible, there's no way Big G can provide the kind of service I've received from PS Engineering.

Back