What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air nibbler or air shears?

rightrudder

Well Known Member
Finally! A Harbor Freight store opened near my place, and I have to christen it tomorrow.

I'm cutting canopy skirts out of 0.032 aluminum sheet, and I need to know the preferred air tool in terms of ease of use and minimal distortion. Anybody want to weigh in on nibbler vs. shears? I've cut aluminum before with aviation snips, but they tend to tweak the edges as they cut. Thanks!!

shears

one of the better ways is to use Beverly shears. Beverly is the best brand less expensive ones from eastwood tool co.

I find both Nibbler, and Air shear to be useful tools, and cut outside the line with either then file.

Nibbler is harder to see the line but cuts curves better than air shear. The air shear cuts straight lines and gives you a better aim point for following a line, but really does not like curves.

An air file from HF is a good compliment for both tools, and is very inexpensive.

Cut off wheel in die grinder works good for cutting iregular shapes without distortion (same one as used for cutting plexi) you need to file burrs when done

Cut off wheel in die grinder works good for cutting iregular shapes without distortion (same one as used for cutting plexi) you need to file burrs when done

A cutoff wheel in a small, straight die grinder to get within 1/16 to 1/32 and then a 2 inch disk sander in an small angle grinder to get it down to the line.

You don't needs lots of power, so these two small ones will do the job...

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-angle-die-grinder-32046.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-rear-exhaust-air-die-grinder-52847.html

They both have a rear exhaust which keeps the slightly oily 'used' air off your work.

Anybody want to weigh in on nibbler vs. shears? I've cut aluminum before with aviation snips, but they tend to tweak the edges as they cut. Thanks!!
Neither. A bandsaw for .032 sheet assuming you can get the piece to fit in the bandsaw. the skirts should fit no problem.

There were times in my build where a nibbler was nice to have (cutting out panel especially) but I never saw a need for anything other than hand shears.

Many/all of the above will work. A lot depends on the precision of the line, and distortion of the piece. I have a nibbler, reciprocating saws of all kinds, a third finger hand shear, and a bandsaw. This part is less than 3" wide. You want relatively straight, and very flat.

I would use the bandsaw. I set up a rip fence and use it for this purpose all the time. With properly adjusted blade guides, and not fancy ones either, it will make a relatively accurate, straight cut. I then use the coarse scotchbrite wheel, then a file to ensure it is flat along the length.

You want new tools - use what ever "reason" gets it for you (I do :D) , but if you have a bandsaw already, it will do this particular task nicely. YM will V.

Maybe I will use this reason to finally get that Beverly Throatless Shear!

Tin snips...

I just did my skirts, and regular tin snips worked fine. De-burr and take a scotch bright wheel to it and done.

Of course, I can't get the final shape for dang, but I'm still working on it.

Let me know how it goes for you!

CC

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys! I'm leaning toward the reciprocating air saw, then finishing the edges with my disc sander and then a file. Since the skirts are cut oversize initially, I might make the first pass with plain ol' snips. I've got a bandsaw already, but the blade is a little coarse for sheet of that thickness (tends to grab a little) and I don't want to change it out. There certainly are about seven ways to skin a cat here! :)

A little retail therapy/tool purchase adds a little fun to the build, even if that tool is not absolutely necessary, is what I'm thinking.

Dremel

Interesting no one uses my method. Dremel with cutting disk. I can get really close to the mark leaving very little to clean up. Even compound curves are no problem.

Interesting no one uses my method. Dremel with cutting disk. I can get really close to the mark leaving very little to clean up. Even compound curves are no problem.

I use that a lot with thin disks, either a 2 inch disk from the hobby store or a 1.75 inch disk from ACE. Mostly for short cuts though. I don't like to use the smaller diameter Dremel disks though.

For longer cuts as described by the OP, the die grinder with a 3 inch diameter and 1/32" thick disk seems easier.

Last edited:
Back