What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 496 not tripping to the next waypoint

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
Help please!

I have a Garmin 496 driving a wing leveler. In the past when I arrived at a waypoint it automatically passed the next waypoint to the wing leveler. I must have changed something. Now when I arrive it overflies and in the end turns back to it. Then by using the GOTO function it sets off for the next waypoint.....therefore I see the problem as the Garmin not the leveler.

My guess is I have changed a setting in the Garmin and not realised it. Anyone know what please?

Hello Steve,

Is it possible you might have changed the Waypoint Transition setting from Auto to something else? Page 74 of the GPSmap 496 owner's manual describes how this can be changed. Settings other than Auto are typically only used by air racers who want to avoid sequencing to the next flight plan waypoint until they overfly the first one exactly (no shortcuts).

Another thought is that you may have activated OBS, which essentially emulates VOR navigation to a waypoint along a set course. You can read about how to activate and cancel OBS mode on page 41 of the GPSmap 496 owner's manual.

- Matt

Back