What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 - uneven wing tip height

Jumbo

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Today I measured the wing tip height (at the same spot each wing tip, plane sitting on a level ground, both wing tanks full, ?old? short landing gear legs) and discovered that the right wing tip is about 2 inch lower than the other (left wing) side.

So we took off the cowling and a.) measured the height of the lower bolts facing forward on each side of the lower firewall where the gear legs enter the ?gear leg holder? (sorry, I am no native speaker) and the heigt is exactly the same and b.) searched for cracks or bends with no findings.

Than we took off the right hand side wheel pant and did not find anything unusual either (no cracks, no bends on the axle etc.).

So my question is: is this normal and I just get on with it or do we search for anything else - if so what.

Thanks, Heinz
P.S. I am not the builder and have bought the RV-4 flying and yes, my first landing were a bit bumpy but I did not have a ?hard landing? really.

Heinz,

It does not take much of a bend in the landing gear for the wing tip heights to vary by a significant amount.

Check the camber angle of each main wheel to see if they are identical. Also double check tyre pressures to make sure they are equal as well.

Remember these are not pre-punched. The slightest misalignment of the wing bulkhead with respect to the engine frame would do this. I dont think you need a hard landing, just a minute build error perhaps.

what level ground?

good points all from previous posters....
and......I'd be tempted to run some plumb lines, use a laser level, water level line etc. to establish that the wing is REALLY not symmetric with it's mate and the fuselage, before wrenching on the gear or........?

Like someone said. Run a water level between tips, shim main wheels until wings level, then check longeron level side to side. That's really all that matters in the air. Even that doesn't matter much, how' s she fly?

Gear legs

Most likely the gear legs are slightly bent from a less than perfect landing. Check the legs. If they are bent (and that bothers you) send BOTH to LangAir. They will press them straight.
Better yet, just fly it.
Who knows, you may make a bad landing on the other leg.

thanks for that input

... as it flies perfect (no aileron trim needed) I tend to go with Mark, Jon and others: I just fly it.

Thanks again, Heinz

I would guess that it is just a variance due to how the plane was originally built.

Unless you find something wrong with the fuselage especially in the firewall area, or if one of the legs is obviously damaged, I would just fly it.

I would bet that 99% of the people that walk by it will never notice the difference in wingtip height, and as long as there is no damage any where, and it flies like it should, you have very very little to gain by getting the wingtips to sit at the same height while on the ground.

Of course this is just my opinion, and if you decide you want the wingtips the same height, then that is more important than my opinion!!

bent gear

I have the same problem on the -3A I bought... its minor, and with teh exception of mounting the inclinometer on the panel ( don't ask lol) its not noticeable..

enjoy it, have fun, fly safe!!!
JM

Back