What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where did YOU mount your Odyssey battery box on your firewall?

AAflyer

Well Known Member
I'm building a QB -8, with an IO-360.
Just discovered that the ES-680 Install Kit, from Van's, is not intended for -8's.
This means there are no drawings on where, exactly, to mount it.
I'm looking for info from those of you who have installed this battery box, and pictures, too, if possible. I tacked on the engine mount today, trying to judge where to put the box, but it seems that no matter where it goes, it's going to be a real pain to R & R the battery.
Ideas?

One question Andy. The camlocs came with the mounting strips or somebody made them for you? They look like factory manufactured.

Upper left corner has worked out well for me. I wanted to put a second heat box in the lower right where Van's suggests as a forward battery location. R&R requires removing the top bolts, then loosening the bottom 4.

It has gotten a lot more busy in this corner as the build progressed, but still manageable...

Last edited:
Here is where I mounted mine.. works great and I can remove the battery with out having to loosen anything, but the cover plate.

14e9e0022be43247cc391895dbda7c2b_zps8b1d01f4.jpg

a2f63f67175d73f09040bff3db510b9e_zps22de18f4.jpg

battery location

I mounted my PC680 in the lower drop down area of the forward baggage compartment, along with all the other electrical components and a remote discharge Halon bottle for the engine compartment.(standard race car). There is a cover over the area with a hinged door that allows easy access for standard automotive jumper cables. The resultant flat floor makes loading soft bags easier into the baggage area. If you don't want a Halon bottle in there, a couple quarts of oil, or tie downs or such could be stored in there with the battery. The heat of the engine isn't a friend to batteries, however an Odyssey can take a little more abuse than most batteries. I not sure that the thin stainless firewall should be holding up a heavy battery, especially pulling 6 G's.

Battery

I put mine in the fwd baggage area upper deck if needed I can jump start the plan and do not need to remove the cowling I would put it their again or in the lower section of the same area

Thanks, Andy.
Now, the big question?
Would you put it in the same place "next time"?

Ya it seemed to work out fine. I put it low so that I can get the battery out of the top of the box and still clear the engine mount. I thought about mounting it sideways like the picture further down in the thread, but couldn't get the clearance with the sky bolt camloc flanges in the way.

I did it...

Here's what I came up with. Hope it works out. Thanks for all your help and advice, guys.
IMG_4765_zps76f74593.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back